Rosler returns

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Rosler returns

Postby shawzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

City legend Uwe Rosler has returned to his spiritual home to carve out a career in England on the ‘other’ side of football.

The hero of the Maine Road fans in the mid-90s has called time on his six-year managerial career in Norway and has settled back in Wilmslow with his wife Ciciele and sons Tony, 13, and Colin, 10.

And the German powerhouse, who scored a half-century of goals in 150 senior appearances for the Blues between 1994-1998, is now looking to make a name for himself for the second time in English football – this time as a boss.

“My spell with City in the 90s was probably the highlight of my playing career,” said Rosler. “I was signed by manager Brian Horton from Dynamo Dresden and I seem to find a rapport with the City supporters from day one.

“I had Paul Walsh playing alongside me up front and Peter Beagre supplying the ammunition from the wing and those two had the ability to unlock any defence.

“Brian Horton came very close to building a team which could have challenged for the League title but he wasn’t given enough time to see it through. But for all the problems which befell us after Brian’s departure, I never once regretted joining City.

“My wife and I loved living in the Manchester area. We made lots of friends both inside and outside of football who we have kept in touch with.

Nomadic

“And even when I left City in 1998 I knew in my heart that I would come back one day.”

After a nomadic spell both in England and abroad after leaving the Blues, Rosler signed for the Norwegian club Lillestrom in 2003 where, only days after his debut he was given the bombshell news that he was suffering from cancer.

“The story came out that I was suffering from lung cancer but that was totally false,” he said. “It was discovered that I had cancerous tumours in my chest. My lungs were not affected in any way.

“I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy for the best part of a year but when the treatment was finished I was given a completely clean bill of health.”

Back to full fitness, Rosler spent the next 12 months gaining his coaching badges and the coveted UEFA licence which is recognised worldwide.

His first managerial opportunity came in 2005 when he took charge of team affairs at Lillestrom where he guided a struggling team to two top-four positions and two cup finals.

That was followed by another successful spell with Viking Stavanger before being asked early this year to take on ‘Mission Impossible’ by saving FC Molde from relegation.

Adrift

“When I was approached by Molde in November to take charge, the club was in the bottom three and were three points adrift of the fourth bottom club,” he explained. “To make matters worse there was only eight games remaining to save their bacon.

“From those eight remaining games we won six and drew two. That was 20 points out of a possible 24 and Molde escaped the drop. If I say so myself, I didn’t do a bad job for that club.

“There was no chance of me staying at Molde. By that time my wife and kids were already back in Wilmslow waiting for me to join them.

“When we decided as a family to leave Norway, there were only two possible destinations, Germany or England.

“Germany, obviously, was a temptation because that’s my homeland, but we knew that if we came back to England we wouldn’t be starting from zero.

“We still had our friends back in the Manchester area and I had lots of contacts that I’d built up during my time with City, so in the end the choice was simple.

“It had to be England in general and the North West in particular.

“I make no bones about the fact that I want to manage an English club one day. I’ve already got six solid years of management under my belt from my time in Norway and at 42 I’m as fit as I ever was.

“Of course, I accept that I will have to start from scratch but I am open to offers from any club, in any capacity, in any part of the country.

“Wherever I end up at, my family will remain in Wilmslow, so of course it would be nice to be offered a job by a club in the North West. But this is the start of a new career in England so I’m not in a position to pick and choose.

“I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere and I’ll be up and running. I’ve set my sights on becoming the manager of an English club one day and I won’t rest until I have achieved that ambition.”

Sign him up
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Re: Rosler returns

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 am

shawzy wrote:“Brian Horton came very close to building a team which could have challenged for the League title

Must have been watching a different team than me.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 am

Get him on the coaching staff ASAP.
Get rid of Pratt and Uwe IN.

City through and through and most probabaly my favourite ever City player.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby shawzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Get him on the coaching staff ASAP.

Fookin brill idea Lahad..I would love to see that become a reality.
shawzy

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 am

Last edited by lets all have a disco on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 am

Agree 100000000000000000000000%
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby shawzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Image

Haha Fitzroy Simpson. ;-)
shawzy

Postby CitizenYank » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am

Just nods head and smiles. :) Much love for Uwe.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am

I believe that Cookie owes him one, wouldn't you say?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:
shawzy wrote:“Brian Horton came very close to building a team which could have challenged for the League title

I know. His efforts at sorting out the basement were worse than getting the council in. Good roof though.

Uwe's going to try & be dead successful in England so he can build up to managing City. Love him.

Any Norwegians on here will back me up, when interviewed on TV over there after games, he's a bit of a character & very abraisive at times. Not the nice, quiet, gentleman we're used to!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I met him at the Gillingham v Man city match and had a good conversation with him.....he really is a top bloke and a real true blue.......best goal was against the scum when he chipped over Red nose.

Probably one of the very very few players that when they kiss the badge they truly do love it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:

Nah - didn't you know the past was always great, this is the worst City team in 50 years now?

Stayed up by the skin of our teeth as I recall. Still Alan Ball completed the job.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I met him at the Gillingham v Man city match and had a good conversation with him.....he really is a top bloke and a real true blue.......best goal was against the scum when he chipped over Red nose.

Probably one of the very very few players that when they kiss the badge they truly do love it.

I met him in Norway a few years later & it was him who actually made the effort to come outside & talk to me because my mate told him there was a City fan on the premises! Asked him the same question about favourite goal too. He was asking me about the Kippax when it was standing (said he wished he'd played in front of it) & was worried if Eastlands would be the same. Genuine 100% true blue.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 pm

FOOOKIN THIS!

Man is a star.

Son's named Colin and Tony as well. Get him job and get rid of that tool Platt and Kidd as well for all I care. Future City manager. FACT.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 pm

In fact, it's a fucking embarrasement that he isn't already signed to coaching role by the Club. City legend, clever feller, loves the Club and already has succesfull manager experience and all the badges needed. What more could they expect????
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

FOOOKIN THIS!

Man is a star.

Son's named Colin and Tony as well. Get him job and get rid of that tool Platt and Kidd as well for all I care. Future City manager. FACT.

Don't think Bob would want a bloke sat next to him who he knows for sure is after his job! Perhaps an academy role working with young strikers etc & move up from there?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:

Agree 100000000000000000000000%

That.

City MUST sign him!
Blue Blood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby aaron bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm

An absolute City legend. Loved his celebration where he'd slide on his knees and pump his fist back and forth.

In the same league as Shaun Goater.

Would be great to have him working at the club somehow, perhaps with the Reserves or Academy. He appears to have done a good job in Norway with the teams he has managed so could have the potential to develop into a good manager/coach.
aaron bond

Supporter of: City

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Paul Dickov once told me that Rosler was a lovely guy off the pitch. Compelete dickhead on it. He couldnt stand playing upfront with him.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

FOOOKIN THIS!

Man is a star.

Future city manager in what way? In the way that Scholes, Giggs and Neville are future United managers? In the way that John Terry and Steven Gerrard are future Chelsea and Liverpool managers? I'd love Rosler to be City manager but because he is the best man for the job not because he loves the club and is a hero to thousands.

Also the comment about it's a fucking embarrasement that he isn't already signed to coaching role by the Club is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy OTT but fits in well with internet football message boards.

Realistically what should he be looking for in England? Is a club like Stockport County/Macclesfield in League Two beneath him with his experience and is Preston/Barnsley ect too ahead of him at the moment with his experience? Should he be looking at League One like Dickov to get his foot in the door? I hope he gets a north west club as i would go down and support them. Love uwe!!
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum