Monday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:54 am

With many potential headlines having to be binned after yesterdays result it falls to Leslie to sum up the general media change of mind (again)

Manchester City are title contenders - Mark Hughes
Former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes says the club can be title contenders if they play in the same manner they did in trouncing his new club Fulham.
City, now managed by Roberto Mancini, followed two successive 0-0 draws with a 4-1 thrashing of Fulham on Sunday.
"If they can be more attack-minded - as they were at Craven Cottage - on more occasions, there is no reason why they shouldn't be contenders," said Hughes.
"They were excellent. They've got as good a chance as anybody."
The victory ensured City moved back to fourth, only three points behind Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Hughes was sacked by City in December and replaced by former Inter Milan boss Mancini, whose side had an identical record to his predecessor after 13 games last season, but having scored nine fewer goals.
Criticised for a lack of adventure - City had only scored three times in their previous five league games - and usurped in fourth place by a free-scoring Bolton on Saturday, Mancini has faced almost daily speculation about his future.
Earlier this month, the Italian dismissed reports of rifts in the City camp as the team struggled to mount a title challenge despite a £120m outlay on new players in the summer.
But any negativity surrounding Mancini his team was cast aside in a dominant display at Fulham.
City scored early through Carlos Tevez before fine goals from Pablo Zabaleta and Yaya Toure made it 3-0 before half-time.
Tevez added a second after the break before Zoltan Gera netted a consolation goal.
"Last week I was a stupid manager who was six points behind," stated Mancini. "Now, I am the 'best manager' because I am only three points off the top of the league."
"This is not important. We must continue to work and improve every game, every day. Only that way can we win.
"But if we have a big problem and a big crisis and we are only three points behind United and Chelsea, then we are doing well.
"But, in our minds, we must only think about working."
Mancini was reluctant to single out a specific player for praise but suggested the performances of Argentine duo Tevez and Zabaleta may have been inspired by the presence of Diego Maradona in the crowd.
"I hope Diego can come again if this is the result," said Mancini. "The players played fantastic football this afternoon."
Meanwhile earlier on Sunday, City defender Kolo Toure was quoted in the News of the World newspaper saying the club should cut the wages of his team-mates unless they start working harder.

DAILY B*ll*x
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is exploring the possibility of bringing in France striker Karim Benzema on loan from Real Madrid in the January transfer window. Daily Mail

Redknapp also looks likely to renew his interest in West Ham midfielder Scott Parker who he bid for in the summer. the Sun

Manchester United are set to sell striker Dimitar Berbatov, in order to fund a move for Athletic Bilbao duo, forward Fernando Llorente and midfielder Javi Martinez. caughtoffside

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier is ready to make a £1.2m move for Middlesbrough central defender David Wheater. Daily Mirror

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Roma defender Philippe Mexes, as the club look for cover for injured captain John Terry. caughtoffside

Seattle Sounders' Congolese striker Steve Zakuani has agreed to train with Everton and he may be allowed to gain Premier League experience during the Major League Soccer close season. Daily Mirror

Blackpool can activate a £250,000 clause to sign on-loan striker Luke Varney from Derby County permanently in January. Daily Mail

Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia is considering his future at the club with Marseille interested in the French international. Daily Star

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has ­challenged the Spurs board to spend big in January and turn his squad into title winners. Daily Mirror

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti admits he is not in total control of team affairs at Stamford Bridge. "I have just technical direction. Full stop," he stated. Daily Mirror

And the former AC Milan manager is believed to be considering his position at Chelsea. Daily Express

Bolton will offer striker Johan Elmander a new one-year deal this week in order to sort out the Swede's future. Daily Mirror

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra has forgiven striker Wayne Rooney for the way he dealt with his contract negotiations last month. Daily Mail

One of the first acts of Blackburn's new Indian owners has been to announce plans to rip up 120 years of history by renaming Ewood Park. Daily Express
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's B*ll*x

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 am

Cheers Chinners.

Lllorente could be a good player in the Prem imo. Can't see rags selling Dracula & buying him though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:30 am

Bolton will offer striker Johan Elmander a new one-year deal this week in order to sort out the Swede's future. Daily Mirror

It seems that Bolton believe Elmander is on a purple patch and that the dross he served up the last two season is closer to his natural level. Why would you otherwise offer just a one year extension to a guy who's one goal behind Tevez in the top scorer table, and who's creating goal scoring opportunities left right and centre for his team mates in every game?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 am

mr_nool wrote:

It seems that Bolton believe Elmander is on a purple patch and that the dross he served up the last two season is closer to his natural level. Why would you otherwise offer just a one year extension to a guy who's one goal behind Tevez in the top scorer table, and who's creating goal scoring opportunities left right and centre for his team mates in every game?

Well you answered your question there. It seems they believe so, and rightly so.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Dronny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 am

One of the first acts of Blackburn's new Indian owners has been to announce plans to rip up 120 years of history by renaming Ewood Park. Daily Express

The "Chicken Cabin" , "Hen House", "Poultry Park"??????????
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby david yearsley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 am

It´s wierd that - was watching the Madrid - Bilbao game and thinking "bet Ferguscum puts a sneaky bid in for Llorente" - might be a better option than Dzeko - let´s fucl the old cnut over if he does ;)
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ryanmjo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 pm

mr_nool wrote:

I believe there was talk about being required to sell him just to raise some money. Maybe they were able to scrounge up the cash to keep him for another year?
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Return to The Maine Football forum