Utter Disgrace

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Utter Disgrace

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Arsenal may have been founded as a team for factory staff and featured as an iconic working-class club in the film of Nick Hornby's best-seller Fever Pitch, but they are about to take another giant step away from their traditional, core support.

The cost of an 'ordinary' seat for a Premier League game at the Emirates Stadium in the New Year is poised to break the £100 barrier - which would make them the most expensive non-hospitality seats in the history of English football. It will also push ticket prices into a frightening new era.
Rising prices: Cost of watching Arsenal is going up
Even after years of becoming accustomed to the top flight's 'prawn sandwich brigade', the struggle of ordinary fans to pay for admission can only get harder once the landmark price has been reached as a result of the planned rise of VAT to 20 per cent on January 4.

Arsenal could choose to absorb the tax rise and not pass it on to fans, but there has been no indication yet that supporters will be spared the hike.

The club's website booking page warns: 'Please note that, with the VAT increase due in January 2011, our matchday ticket prices will be subject to change.'

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation, said: 'A £100 ticket in the present climate is ridiculous. It is proof that football is not living in the same world as the rest of us.
'The game has more money going into it than ever before and it is not helping fans. Football is no longer a game that is readily accessible to all sections of the community.'

The Premier League has become a rich man's playground in recent years, with foreign owners ploughing money in at the top and fans footing a share of the bill at the bottom.

The English game has changed a great deal since standing was banned at top-flight stadia in 1994.

But the image of swathes of working-class fans on Highbury's North Bank in the 1997 film Fever Pitch seems a world away from Arsenal's potential new level of pricing, which would come into effect from the home game against Manchester City on January 5.

Grounds for concern: Emirates will have the priciest 'ordinary' ticket in English football
A £100 ticket would make watching Arsenal 11 times more expensive than following Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund. The German team charge just £9 for their cheapest seat.

'Prices have risen way beyond the rate of inflation, and the bigger clubs have gone the furthest over the last decade,' added Clarke.

The most expensive normal seats at the Emirates Stadium - in the centre of the upper tier for 'category A' games against popular opponents - are £94 per person, plus a booking fee of up to £2.30 and £2.20 postage.

That makes £98.50 for a typical purchase. But, with VAT rising from 17.5 per cent to 20 per cent, that ticket would break the £100 barrier for the first time.

No club can afford to charge such prices throughout their grounds and stay busy, and Arsenal have a wide range of prices, from £48 to £94 for 'Category A' games against top opposition such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham.

It costs from £33 to £66 for Premier League games against lesser sides but the bill for a family of four could still top their weekly food shopping bill.

Arsenal, who are repaying the debt from building the £390million stadium, are already the most expensive club to watch on their own ground in Britain by some margin, and a recession is not perhaps the ideal time to be breaking the £100 barrier.

Season ticket-holder and author Tom Watt said: 'It does seem an extraordinary amount of money.
'If somebody can afford to pay that fair play to them but, while people complain about a lot of things at Arsenal, value for money is not one of them.'

Arsenal's cheapest adult season ticket for 2010-11 cost £893, while their most expensive 'ordinary' season ticket, which has no hospitality, was £1,825. Liverpool were the next most expensive for 2010-11 at £680, followed by Tottenham (£650), West Ham (£585) and Chelsea (£550).

Blackburn had the cheapest adult season ticket at £224 - just over twice the cost of a single highend ticket at the Emirates.

The club with the next most expensive single ticket price in England is Tottenham, where the most expensive 'normal' seat is £76 per game, which will increase to £78 when VAT rises in January, according to Spurs' official website.

The most expensive ordinary seat at Chelsea costs £73, and at Manchester United just £49

More fool the stupid bastards that will pay this kind of money to watch a football game. The sooner football fans in this country stop bending over backwards and taking a royal shafting from the laughing business men in the boardrooms who view the fans as annoying but gullible loyal customers who will hand over ridiculous money to see 22 men kick a ball around a field, the sooner the game will become affordable to all.

I envy the germans, i really do and if we are to go the same way as Arsenal then it is hello to the barmaid with the big knockers in my local whilst listening to two arabic guys commentating on the game and goodbye to the "matchday experience" in the grounds.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Utter Disgrace

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Still cheaper than the NFL season ticket.

Consider that for a minute. It's easy to get all working class about it...and i get that many people can't afford to take an entire family to matches anymore, but hasn't it been trending that way for ages? Here in the US season tickets to all the major sports for a family of 3 or 4 would be a major luxury item that few could consider a 'must have'...more likely they'd buy 2 and swap some dates when certain people in the family could go, or share a season ticket with a group of friends or family members (as in 2 families go in on 4 tickets, etc)

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:54 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Still cheaper than the NFL season ticket.

Consider that for a minute. It's easy to get all working class about it...and i get that many people can't afford to take an entire family to matches anymore, but hasn't it been trending that way for ages? Here in the US season tickets to all the major sports for a family of 3 or 4 would be a major luxury item that few could consider a 'must have'...more likely they'd buy 2 and swap some dates when certain people in the family could go, or share a season ticket with a group of friends or family members (as in 2 families go in on 4 tickets, etc)

cheers

we are not in america though
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 pm

cheers

Except we are not in america and NFL only has a minimum of 8 home games. Here you could have the minimum home games plus cup games.
the_georgian_genius

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:56 pm

ive stopped going to away games mainly because of the ticket prices and even getting my season ticket this year caused major arguements in my house due to the increase.
9secondlegend

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:59 pm

AND i struggle to go to cup/europa games. some people dont mind £25+ a game and well done to them but when i dont go i get called a shit fan.
9secondlegend

Postby the_georgian_genius » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 am

9secondlegend wrote:ive stopped going to away games mainly because of the ticket prices and even getting my season ticket this year caused major arguements in my house due to the increase.

I've had to pick and choose, i'm lucky in that the season ticket is just about value for money IMO. If i had to pay £40 to watch us against Birmingham i couldn't afford it.
the_georgian_genius

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:
9secondlegend wrote:ive stopped going to away games mainly because of the ticket prices and even getting my season ticket this year caused major arguements in my house due to the increase.

I've had to pick and choose, i'm lucky in that the season ticket is just about value for money IMO. If i had to pay £40 to watch us against Birmingham i couldn't afford it.

no chance
and fair play to the people that do .
i know it has been discussed in other threads but a £20 ticket would , i believe, guarantee a sell out every game and surley these people would spend more money in the ground. beer, pies , prawn butties etc
9secondlegend

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:40 am

I'm a litle surprised at Arsenal for this. It's obvious why Scum have been squeezing their fans (!) to death because of the Glazers etc. But Arsenal are supposed to be the rich, well-managed club who have loads of Wonga put back for a rainy day for when they have a manager who knows how to buy again. Obviously they had a big debt to build Emirates but last I heard their Highbury property sales and repayments were going very well.

What can be the motivation? Who is the greedy person(s)?

Trouble at Mill? One things for sure there comes a tipping point, as those in Mordor have found.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am

9secondlegend wrote:

cheers

we are not in america though

thanks...sometimes i forget.

you really don't believe the most successful professional sports league in the world isn't a valid comparison? The NFL has i believe 2x the revenue of the Premier League. Why on earth wouldn't that be a reasonable thing to compare your global brand and league to?

sometimes some of you make me wonder if you pay attention to anything outside the bubble of the UK...there is a world out there you fuclin muggles.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 am

What is the purpose of comparing the dearest arsenal ticket to the cheapest bundasliga ticket tho?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 am

They charge the away fans the cheapest prices in London.

Each year I've gone its being between £30-£35, compare that with the £49 for Fulham, Chelsea and Spurs. West Ham are not far off the £50 mark now too since their new owners came in.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby dazby » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 am

If anyone can do it and get away with it then arsenal are the club. Amazing stadium.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 am

If they can charge that and still fill the stadium week in week out then why wouldn't they do it?

Simple supply and demand.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Fish111 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

King Kev wrote:Simple supply and demand.

Exactly this. If they weren't selling out then the prices would drop. Football is a business and they are fully entitled to do it. I personally won't pay over £35 for a ticket so i have to pick and choose my games. Maybe eventually i will be priced out of going to watch City altogether but there will be others to replace me. Me and my money won't be missed by the owners.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby simon12 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 am

It`s still not as bad as the De Jong tackle tho.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Beeks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:06 am

I'm dreading the day when I can't afford to go and watch City live...I'm sure at some point with these rising ticket prices there will come a time when it will happen
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'm dreading the day when I can't afford to go and watch City live...I'm sure at some point with these rising ticket prices there will come a time when it will happen

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont worry Beeks lad,well spend what we save on Brandy.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Beeks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 am

lets all have a disco wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'm dreading the day when I can't afford to go and watch City live...I'm sure at some point with these rising ticket prices there will come a time when it will happen

Haha...they will just have to buy a new Plasma at the Townley
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:17 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:

Haha...they will just have to buy a new Plasma at the Townley

Ha ha a bigger one with louder volume and a remote.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum