Attacking fullbacks.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Attacking fullbacks.

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:23 pm

In my opinion, above anything, Zabaleta and Koloarov made the difference today. That is the first time I've seen us play with two very capable attacking fullbacks, bursting forward at every opportunity. Zabs was fantastic going forward and Koloarov also linked up very well.
Also when the Fullbacks burst forward like they did today it leaves so much more space in the middle for Yaya and Silva to exploit.
The formation Mancini plays is so reliant on the fullbacks bombing down the wings and today they did that.
The two stand out performers for me.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Attacking fullbacks.

Postby sheiks and camels » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 pm

boateng seems to get to half way and play it back , zabba just goes for it and can cross the ball with both feet, zabba and kolorov would be my prefered choices to keep the shirts but he is always open to the odd booking !!
sheiks and camels
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Calos Tevez

Postby Spurge » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:In my opinion, above anything, Zabaleta and Koloarov made the difference today. That is the first time I've seen us play with two very capable attackign fullbacks bursting forward at every opportunity. Zabs was fantastic going forward and Koloarov also linked up very well.
Also when the Fullbacks burst forward like they did today it leaves so much more space in the middle for Yaya and Silva to exploit.
The formation Mancini plays is so reliant on the fullbacks bombing down the wings and today they did that.

Yes, agree with that - spot on
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby blues-clues » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Love it!

Barry covers well on the left but there was not quite so much cover on the right when Zabs went forward but if Zamora had been fit I dont think we would have taken quite such an attacking approach. Their weakness and our early goal meant we could really go for it today. Almost everyone looked an attacking threat (a bit like Barcelona)
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm

boateng has deffo been a let down. maybe he needs more games? people get on richards back but i like him going forward but its the old concentration thing with him. lescott jusnt isnt doing the business when he gets a game(i wanted us to sign him desperatly as i thought he was shit hot at wolves and everton)
kolarov has hit the ground running and is looking good defensivly and (when it happens going forward) and as well as zab played today he lets himself down with stupid tackles and challenges and as ive said before if cuts them out he should be easily 1st choice
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Zabaleta is our unsung hero.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Zabaleta is our unsung hero.

^^^^^^ i forgot about bridge!!!
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 pm

The ball Boateng played in for Barry in the Valencia friendly made me think we had signed a great attacking full back, his games since then and Zabaleta's recent performances have made me think if Boateng is better as a centre half.
the_georgian_genius

Postby s1ty m » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Boateng can make a go of it at Cardiff or some other similar team. I was chuffed when I saw him left out. Bad buy, see ya, let's move on. Many other options than mr wooden donkey.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby blues2win » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Boateng played plenty of great balls for Germany in the third place final when he played right back. He's top class technically. Once he's found his feet in the Premiership he'll be the best bet as Right back but yes he should be first choice reserve as centre back if Vinny or Kolo are out. At Stoke we need Super Mario for Jo and Boateng for Zaba or Micah if Boateng isn't fit ( I think he got injured for Germany).
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:21 am

Firstly Boateng needs more games and is still feeling his way into the PL after long injury, and secondly I reckon any pair of our full backs would've been heavily involved first half. Kolarov is winding up into something awesome though. Well played all.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby The Original Special One » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:44 am

john@staustell wrote:Firstly Boateng needs more games and is still feeling his way into the PL after long injury, and secondly I reckon any pair of our full backs would've been heavily involved first half. Kolarov is winding up into something awesome though. Well played all.

Just like we need to cut Boateng some slack, so we shouldn't judge Kolarov a success on just this one game
Just wait until he's got a run of games against the spoiling, physical teams under his belt, and against wingers with real pace.
The Original Special One

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby kinkylola » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 am

Kolarov showed some real pace and totally blew by duff on that one counter attack ... you might say duff isn't as fast as he was, but he is definitely speedy. I think the only wingers that would give him trouble for pace are walcott, lennon and maybe ashley young ... and I think their main advantage would be over the first few steps, if he gets a body on them before they begin, he'll be fine.

very impressed with kolarov last night, and very excited for the future.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:55 am

The Original Special One wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Firstly Boateng needs more games and is still feeling his way into the PL after long injury, and secondly I reckon any pair of our full backs would've been heavily involved first half. Kolarov is winding up into something awesome though. Well played all.

Just like we need to cut Boateng some slack, so we shouldn't judge Kolarov a success on just this one game
Just wait until he's got a run of games against the spoiling, physical teams under his belt, and against wingers with real pace.

I was basing it on the games he has played - and despite his long lay off. No one has even started a 'Kolarov is useless' thread so he must have cracked it?

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby StrikeAnywhere » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 am

Kolarov is gonna be scary good for us. The way he whips those low balls in first time is special. Showed good pace on the break too, pity bout the finish.
StrikeAnywhere
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:In my opinion, above anything, Zabaleta and Koloarov made the difference today. That is the first time I've seen us play with two very capable attacking fullbacks, bursting forward at every opportunity. Zabs was fantastic going forward and Koloarov also linked up very well.

A very good point mate, unfortunately I think it also means that we don't have much use for Johnson and SWP anymore.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 am

King Kev wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:In my opinion, above anything, Zabaleta and Koloarov made the difference today. That is the first time I've seen us play with two very capable attacking fullbacks, bursting forward at every opportunity. Zabs was fantastic going forward and Koloarov also linked up very well.

A very good point mate, unfortunately I think it also means that we don't have much use for Johnson and SWP anymore.

AJ has been very disappointing in the last 2 appearances. Obviously it's not easy coming on as a sub, but has anyone else noticed how he seems to hide behind the line of an opposition player, so that the player in possession has no outlet on the right? I noticed it at Fulham with both Zabaleta and Yaya looking in vain and then turning inside, and against Brum with Silva and Tevez at least.

Every other member of the team seems to move into space comfortably. I wonder if it's a confidence thing, and instead of craving for the opportunity to come on and impress in a barnstorming way he's actually becoming more and more 'shy'? This may also explain the lack of much of his running at defenders he used to do.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:03 am

john@staustell wrote:
King Kev wrote:

AJ has been very disappointing in the last 2 appearances. Obviously it's not easy coming on as a sub, but has anyone else noticed how he seems to hide behind the line of an opposition player, so that the player in possession has no outlet on the right? I noticed it at Fulham with both Zabaleta and Yaya looking in vain and then turning inside, and against Brum with Silva and Tevez at least.

Every other member of the team seems to move into space comfortably. I wonder if it's a confidence thing, and instead of craving for the opportunity to come on and impress in a barnstorming way he's actually becoming more and more 'shy'? This may also explain the lack of much of his running at defenders he used to do.

AJ is a talented footballer who could play elsewhere imo. He just needs to get some of what Silva's got.

Boateng can bomb forward & deliver a ball, probably just as well as Kolarov when it comes to crossing & much faster than Zabba but he's nowhere near to producing his best at City yet & shouldn't have been risked in games like v Arsenal, where he & Boyata ruined the defence. He'll do it in the end though imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dronny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am

I counted three times yesterday when Kolarov broke away in the right wing/midfield slot from their corners/free kicks......just where is his positional sense ;-)
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 am

I've always liked Zabaleta, the main reason is that his first thought is always to get the ball forwards. the beauty of Zabaleta and Koloarov getting forward is that it creates so much space in the middle for Silva, Tevez and Yaya. That's what Mancini has been trying to achieve. The way Mancini plays, it is vital for the fullbacks to attack.

I still prefer the standard 4-4-2 with two out and out strikers but I can't really complain with results like yesterday.
Bridge'srightfoot

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum