Attacking fullbacks.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Attacking fullbacks.

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

blues-clues wrote:Love it!

Barry covers well on the left but there was not quite so much cover on the right when Zabs went forward but if Zamora had been fit I dont think we would have taken quite such an attacking approach. Their weakness and our early goal meant we could really go for it today. Almost everyone looked an attacking threat (a bit like Barcelona)

Why the small print. I said in the match thread (at half time) that all of a sudden we were playing like Barcelona. There !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby johnnyondioline » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I`ve been convinced since the summer that for Mancio`s formation to flourish the full backs are pivotal. Kolarov was the really exciting unknown potential signed this summer (for me) & I think Boateng will be a big plus come the end of the season.

Admittedly this is with the hindsight of yesterday but Barry`s role suddenly made sense; for him to be so deep that he can slot in at lb when Kolarov bombs forward. Nigel can do the same job for the rb & yaya is free to get forward. 4-2-3-1 can become 2-2-5-1 in an instant & all of a sudden it looks like last years team being lightning on the break but still solid at the back if the counter breaks down.

Fulham suddenly looked like the perfect opposition for us yesterday, the early goal changed the game & suited us perfectly. It was marginally offside, but we were due a break in that respect. Stoke & Bolton will be two good tests to see if we can carry it on. I thought Jo did a job of sorts yesterday in as much that he was an outball for Joe, but surely Mario offers much much more if he can keep his head - and we`ll have a better idea from the next 2 games.

In summary I think we got a glimpse of the future yesterday. I know its what we all hope for. We may not get it every week. We are not Barcelona yet but fuck me its promising!

Now I just need to work out where James Milner fits in
johnnyondioline
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby blues2win » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with you in every respect except one. The first goal was not offside. There was a player further along the pitch playing Tevez onside as the TV showed. It was very close but as the attacker has to be given the benefit of the doubt the goal rightly stood.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 am

If as suggested the Fulham game was a glimpse of what Mancini has in mind, at least in relation to the attacking FBs and how that then works with the mids we have, one clear point is that it relies on those FBs being able to do their job. Kolarov certainly looks the business and basically shows up what we have had in that position. What is clear is the amount of confidence he has and the intent to go with it. This should be a good influence on the other FBs.. at least those that are open to the idea of still learning their trade.
Obviously not all games will involve a team like Fulham who very sportingly oblige us, but the basic idea is there to see and as suggested makes things clearer in terms of the Mids that we have. When Mancini has the front line sorted out as he wants it, we might see players like Milner used differently.
The other thing is related to this, as someone pointed out if this is a prefered system where do such players as AJ, SWP, Milner fit in. (ok Milner is easy as he can go central). There has to be two angles to this at least.. ie. we wont be playing this system in all games and wont be able to field the key players in all games, we also need a plan B if not C and D.

The faith put in Balotelli in statements by Mancini perhaps offer a big clue to his thinking. He can play in a basic wide position but will turn up in the area as a poaching striker and more. Using that as a model.. imagine two Balotellis for instance! Mancini may groom AJ to play a similar role or something in between that and Silva. It would be a big ask of AJ imo, but he has both time and a great set of players to learn from.
As we are clearly going to ship some players there also is going to be space for others to come and join this party, but already i think we can see that there is a lot of potential for the basic system and the swapping of players, plus the options for a plan B, perhaps with a more traditional out and out striker/poacher.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Cracking stuff from Danny Pugsley
http://www.bitterandblue.com/2010/11/23 ... of-kolarov?
A look at the influence of Kolarov
by Danny Pugsley on Nov 23, 2010 9:49 PM GMT in Features

Earlier in the season Roberto Mancini commented that we would not be able to see the full potential of the side until he had a full set of players available to him, particularly at full-back:
"Without flying full-backs like Boateng and Kolarov, who can push forward, I've had to adjust the team in order to get results and stay in touch with the leaders until everyone is back and fit."
It has taken some time of course for both Boateng and Kolarov to be fully fit, but now both are it could have an interesting consequence on the dynamic of the side.

Fielding three central midfielders, there is a requirement for the full-backs to be dynamic and energetic in supporting the midfield and attack as much as focusing on their defensive duties. At Fulham we saw the perfect example of it.

Although it was Pablo Zabaleta and not Jerome Boateng at right-back, Aleksandar Kolarov now looks settled at left back and as a duo turned in a very impressive performance indeed. Not missing a beat defensively, they were excellent going forward; full of energy and industry as they helped the side completely overrun and dominate Fulham's midfield - evidenced by this chalkboard from The Guardian illustrating how far into Fulham territory Kolarov's passes were attempted:

by Guardian Chalkboards (see link)

Mancini clearly wants full backs to get up and down. Although Boateng has shown promise in being able to do this, it is Kolarov who has really emerged as the ideal player to fit Mancini's system. Whilst the right-hand side has featured Micah Richards, Dedryck Boyata, Pablo Zabaleta and Boateng - all players competent when going forward and joining the attack - it has been less so on the left hand side.

Featuring a rotation of Joleon Lescott, Pablo Zabaleta and Wayne Bridge over the start of the season, there has not been the ability of the full-back on the left hand side to impact going forward. Zabaleta was certainly the most competent but restricted by playing on the wrong side, whilst Lescott (although solid defensively) was very static and uncomfortable in advanced positions. The disappointment of course was Wayne Bridge. Pegged as a full-back who would contribute to the attack, he has been suspect defensively and lacks an end product going forward. Surely his days are numbered come the January window.

As a result, what Mancini has deployed for the most part on the left has been a midfielder who can compensate for this, namely James Milner. Without an energetic full-back who can contribute offensively, Milner has been used to provide the energy and industry required. Whilst this has worked in this regard, it also detracts somewhat from an attacking perspective. This is something not seen on the opposite flanks where for the most part Adam Johnson and David Silva - naturally attacking, creative talents - have featured.

On Sunday at Craven Cottage Mancini pulled a surprise by featuring Jo ahead of Milner, who was expected to start. The Guardian Chalkboard had a look at a benefit this brought with an analysis of Joe Hart's distribution at Fulham in comparison to the previous game against Birmingham.

With Kolarov in the side, what this did allow though was the option for Mancini to field a more attack minded player on the left, with more licence to get forward, whilst still maintaining the 4-5-1 formation with the three central midfielders dictating tempo and possession; Kolarov's ability to be part of both the defensive and offensive play negates the need for a Milner-type on the left hand side that does mean a more rigid, static and defensive performance. It also provides the midfield with added options and it was no surprise that a marauding Kolarov (and Zabaleta of course) saw the midfield look far more purposeful.

This is vitally important as we now that by adopting a 4-4-2 line-up this can detract from the impact Carlos Tevez makes, a second central striker taking the space from him. With Jo, or looking forward, surely Mario Balotelli, they can take some of the weight from Tevez by drifting inside to support him, but crucially (by not playing centrally) not crowd Tevez in the areas he uses to such great effect - giving the attack an even more potent fe
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
blues-clues wrote:Love it!

Barry covers well on the left but there was not quite so much cover on the right when Zabs went forward but if Zamora had been fit I dont think we would have taken quite such an attacking approach. Their weakness and our early goal meant we could really go for it today. Almost everyone looked an attacking threat (a bit like Barcelona)

Why the small print. I said in the match thread (at half time) that all of a sudden we were playing like Barcelona. There !

I thought that at the time. There were moments when we did resemble Barca 1st half. Great to watch.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum