Squad overhaul - Dzeko & Luiz in, dross out

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Squad overhaul - Dzeko & Luiz in, dross out

Postby john@staustell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:32 am

Luckily Luiz can play as a holding midfielder, in case we run short! Image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... nuary.html

Manchester City are closing in on signing striker Edin Dzeko and Chelsea target David Luiz in the January transfer window. Each player is understood to be worth €40 million.

Wolfsburg have told City that they want to sign another striker, thought to be the Moroccan Sami Allagui, from fellow German club Mainz before they will sanction the sale of Dzeko. Talks are now under way between the two clubs.

Benfica’s Luiz has been of interest to Chelsea. However, as much as the Premier League champions admire the versatile Brazilian, they will not offer anywhere near what City are prepared to pay for him.

Luiz can play in any position in the back four or even as a holding midfielder and, with City preparing a clearout of as many as six players in the next transfer window, manager Roberto Mancini is planning an overhaul of his squad.

It is understood that Mancini has told football administrator Brian Marwood to find clubs for Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joleon Lescott and Wayne Bridge. Although City do not want to let goalkeeper Shay Given leave, he has made it clear he wants to go after losing his first-team place to Joe Hart.

It is highly unlikely that City will be able to move on all those big-money signings in one window but it is believed that the players are all available as Mancini continues to re-build, armed with the funds made available by the club’s owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan.

City have long been on the trail of Dzeko, who had set his heart on a move to Italy but who has now been persuaded to join the Premier League. His agent was a guest of City’s at the recent Manchester derby and it is now hoped that a deal can be sealed.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Squad overhaul - Dzeko & Luiz in, dross out

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:52 am

If holding midfielders were oil, Bush would have invaded eastlands. Like playing there would be a bonus.

I'm still finding it hard to beleive we cannot make use of SWP, Ade, Shay, RSC and Bridge.

Harldy sounds like a bad bench to me.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:14 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:If holding midfielders were oil, Bush would have invaded eastlands. Like playing there would be a bonus.

I'm still finding it hard to beleive we cannot make use of SWP, Ade, Shay, RSC and Bridge.

Harldy sounds like a bad bench to me.

I think we could use Given, it's just out of respect for him. And apparently he likes RSC, good professional, just cant play well enough. Bit surprised to see Lescott in that group though. Luiz for Lescott?

I notice you didn't say we can make use of Jo? Image
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dronny » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 am

If and it's a big IF we can ship those players out that's going to leave us somewhat short in the 25 man squad department. Do we then bring some loan players back or promote from within in January....if so, who?
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby zuricity » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:25 am

What a mouth watering experience that will be for us Dzeko, Ballo and Teves just tucked behind them, being spoon fed by David, Yaya and Johno, with Gareth and James and Nige working the midfield line behind them and then a rock solid back four.

Who needs a goalie ?

..... Hang on, that's too many. Booby Manc sort it out please :-))
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby john@staustell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 am

zuricity wrote:What a mouth watering experience that will be for us Dzeko, Ballo and Teves just tucked behind them, being spoon fed by David, Yaya and Johno, with Gareth and James and Nige working the midfield line behind them and then a rock solid back four.

Who needs a goalie ?

..... Hang on, that's too many. Booby Manc sort it out please :-))

Dronny said we wont have enough!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby everyonehatesus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 am

Well to tell the truth, im getting fed up of all this shit. The players seem to get pissed off every time we buy someone, then play them out of position with crap defencive tactics.
So whats the answer? oh yeah go and buy even more players...
Its time to sort this out as we really are starting to look like a joke, and I can see why so many other fans are hating us.
I know that most will say "do you want to go back to fighting at the bottom season after season", and the answer is NO but I dont like how we are going about things at the moment and believe there has to be a point where the owners say enough is enough, you've had your money now manage what you have or piss off and we will get a manager that can.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 am

We can buy all the players we want but then it's down to managing them and blending them into a winning side. In theory we have the 11 he wants when Mario is available so where exactly would new players fit in? You don't spend £40 million on a player just to be a squad player.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:03 am

everyonehatesus wrote:Well to tell the truth, im getting fed up of all this shit. The players seem to get pissed off every time we buy someone, then play them out of position with crap defencive tactics.
So whats the answer? oh yeah go and buy even more players...
Its time to sort this out as we really are starting to look like a joke, and I can see why so many other fans are hating us.
I know that most will say "do you want to go back to fighting at the bottom season after season", and the answer is NO but I dont like how we are going about things at the moment and believe there has to be a point where the owners say enough is enough, you've had your money now manage what you have or piss off and we will get a manager that can.

They'll be kind of at that stage now imo but the players we're looking at will be ones that 'tick all the boxes' (as Cook would say) so that they also fit in with the owner & Marwood's plans as well as Mancinis. They'll go for the kind of players, who we can develop, & also go for players who any manager would like to have in the squad. Players who will be around, at the top, for at least 4/5 years & preferably that can also increase the profile of the club worldwide. For that reason, I still think we'd sign Torres if we could & will be very surprised if we're not trying right now. Whether we'd sign both him & Dzeko I doubt but it's certainly possible if Ade is going. If he went it would leave us still a striker short if Mancini is planning to attack much more, in three competitions later in the season, which I think he is. If he ends up getting booted, they'll give the next bloke a lot less money & tell him to work with the squad.

Getting top players in Jan though, isn't easy.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:18 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:We can buy all the players we want but then it's down to managing them and blending them into a winning side. In theory we have the 11 he wants when Mario is available so where exactly would new players fit in? You don't spend £40 million on a player just to be a squad player.

Ciao DH.
I couldnt agree more with the first 2 statements of Your post.
Though - being one of the richest clubs in the world You always try - or should try to - have the wider possible cover/back up for a 60+ long fixture season. I am pretty sure You share my same opinion on this, as we are experiencing now, it is quite impossible to have Your best 11/14 always at their best all season long. On such note, Dzeko and Luiz are the best available on the market, taking into account skill and age.
We might reasonably face - next season - a week where possibly the derby/or top 4 clash will be followed by an hard CL fixture: so what's wrong, if You can afford and manage it (I'm with You, there) - in having the possibility to rotate Dzeko and Mario?

Furthermore, we are quite compelled to live up the tale which features City as the football ruiner... :-)

Btw: I was very glad to read the MJ article on OS: do You see him starting a League game before boxing day?

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:We can buy all the players we want but then it's down to managing them and blending them into a winning side. In theory we have the 11 he wants when Mario is available so where exactly would new players fit in? You don't spend £40 million on a player just to be a squad player.

Hart, Boateng/Richards, Kolo, Kompany, Kolarov, Milner/Barry, de Jong, Yaya, Silva/AJ, Tevez, Balotelli - If Mancini could pick this as an unchanged team (inc the 3 outfield subs) for say 6 league games, I think we would be at the top of the table in the new year.

But maybe he thinks his first choice XI won't ever be available together - hence he wants to improve his options with new signings (preferably to add pace in midfield & on the wings) - I get the distinct impression that the 6 players named in the Telegraph article would never play for him again if he did.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby paulmclaren » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 am

no1 has answered this question yet.
What's the point in having a youth squad?
And more players on even more silly money.
I'm getting sick of it tbh, players like ballatelli going on like there fucking god.
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:37 am

johnny crossan wrote:

Hart, Boateng/Richards, Kolo, Kompany, Kolarov, Milner/Barry, de Jong, Yaya, Silva/AJ, Tevez, Balotelli - If Mancini could pick this as an unchanged team (inc the 3 outfield subs) for say 6 league games, I think we would be at the top of the table in the new year.

But maybe he thinks his first choice XI won't ever be available together - hence he wants to improve his options with new signings (preferably to add pace in midfield & on the wings) - I get the distinct impression that the 6 players named in the Telegraph article would never play for him again if he did.

If they're telling the truth about 'the project' it's not just the 2nd half of this season they're building for but next season, to be in the Chump's league & attempt to win it, as well as win the Prem etc. Therefore we are certainly NOT the finished article as a squad. It doesn't matter how good his 1st 11 is, it can't play Wed Sat now (we made changes & got dicked by Poznan) & we're only after 4th place & the Euro. Imagine if we were after 1st place & winning the Chump's Lg + the FA Cup?

The more players we can sign & sell right now to give Bob the team he requires, the less 'gelling time' & excuses we have next season. We don't want to continue relying on the fitness of two fullbacks or the mentality of a 20 year old headcase if we're challenging for the double or treble.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 am

Agree with what Ted says once again, however i would add a couple of points.
1. this is speculation by the media, so treat as such.
2. there are quite a few players who cannot be relied upon. In building a top squad the players who come in have to perform, if we want to make a title challenge then players like SWP have to be ready and have to do the business, if they dont or cant then unfortunately they are of little use, the competitiveness at the top requires that the whole squad can turn in a performance close to their best at every call.
Jo and RSC are completely unreliable, as it looks like Ade is also. Bridge and SWP are not much better, Lescott we know can do better.. it isn't just performances with some of those players either, Bridge, Ade, Lescott seem to get niggling injuries all the time which amounts to the same thing, not reliable.
Compare any of them with Zabba... you could almost put Zabba in any of the positions that list of players play in and he would do as good as or possibly a damn sight better and he shakes off injuries.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Abu Dhabi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 am

Funniest thing I read today.
Barca will look in signing Micah after stopping their negotiation with Alves. Haha.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

If they're telling the truth about 'the project' it's not just the 2nd half of this season they're building for but next season, to be in the Chump's league & attempt to win it, as well as win the Prem etc. Therefore we are certainly NOT the finished article as a squad. It doesn't matter how good his 1st 11 is, it can't play Wed Sat now (we made changes & got dicked by Poznan) & we're only after 4th place & the Euro. Imagine if we were after 1st place & winning the Chump's Lg + the FA Cup?

The more players we can sign & sell right now to give Bob the team he requires, the less 'gelling time' & excuses we have next season. We don't want to continue relying on the fitness of two fullbacks or the mentality of a 20 year old headcase if we're challenging for the double or treble.

Which are the same points You find two box above.
Still, I can see so many differeces between You and the bitter frustrated xenophobe who wrote the post after your.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Agree with what Ted says once again, however i would add a couple of points.
2. there are quite a few players who cannot be relied upon. In building a top squad the players who come in have to perform, if we want to make a title challenge then players like SWP have to be ready and have to do the business, if they dont or cant then unfortunately they are of little use, the competitiveness at the top requires that the whole squad can turn in a performance close to their best at every call.
Jo and RSC are completely unreliable, as it looks like Ade is also. Bridge and SWP are not much better, Lescott we know can do better.. it isn't just performances with some of those players either, Bridge, Ade, Lescott seem to get niggling injuries all the time which amounts to the same thing, not reliable.
Compare any of them with Zabba... you could almost put Zabba in any of the positions that list of players play in and he would do as good as or possibly a damn sight better and he shakes off injuries.

Ade has been unlucky this season imo. The rest, barring Lescott, have done nothing to prove they are worthy of being part of where we want to go. Ade though imo has looked really up for it, has scored goals & done as much as we could expect. He works twice as hard as for instance Balotelli but it appears that whatever he does, it may not be enough. Balotelli would have played in some of the games Ade has been omitted. If Ade goes, it's purely because Bob doesn't want him, same with Lescott, not because they're no use to us in the squad.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:20 pm

MANCIO4EVER wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Still, I can see so many differeces between You and the bitter frustrated xenophobe who wrote the post after your.

Sorry, I didn't see that post but yes it is the same point.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
MANCIO4EVER wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see that post but yes it is the same point.

That's why I rate You so much. Either we do agree on tactics and managers or not.
You are always a precious point of reference of my becoming a Blue, Sir.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:Agree with what Ted says once again, however i would add a couple of points.

Ade has been unlucky this season imo. The rest, barring Lescott, have done nothing to prove they are worthy of being part of where we want to go. Ade though imo has looked really up for it, has scored goals & done as much as we could expect. He works twice as hard as for instance Balotelli but it appears that whatever he does, it may not be enough. Balotelli would have played in some of the games Ade has been omitted. If Ade goes, it's purely because Bob doesn't want him, same with Lescott, not because they're no use to us in the squad.

Would agree Ade has been unlucky and i dont think he is out yet just in the balance. He was reported as having some good training sessions but then reports now suggesting he has dropped of again. But y'know if he gets stuck in and proves something then it may all be open for him. Lescott too imo, he is good enough just has to prove his longer term value.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum