Muslim players

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Muslim players

Postby ant london » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:57 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Having mentioned Yaya, I thought I'd give you some insight about his name. Yaya comes from the Arabic name Yahya which is the name of John the Baptist (a recognised Prophet in Islam) in the Quran, the Muslim holy book. That means that Yaya's English name is John. Since we've never found a nickname for Yaya, maybe we can start calling him John or Johnny !!
Kolo's full name is Habib Kolo Toure. Habib in Arabic means Loved One but I don't think there is a good English alternative for it.

the thing about Kolo's name is funny.....I was never remotely aware that Kolo wasn't his first name til I moved out here and everyone refers to him by his full name, with the Habib bit first.

Yahya.....is actually one of my favourite Arabic names, it's pronounced.....Yea-hi-Yeah....great name!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby ruralblue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Friday is the main day for Muslims, it's our Sunday, the day of call to prayer. Though I have never heard of any such ruling regarding fasting at any other time except Ramadam.

Anelka converted to Muslim, think that was after he was with us though.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby dazby » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:Muslims have no special preparations for Saturday as it is a normal day for them. Someone already mentioned Saturday is the Sabbath for Jews so, no issue here for Muslims. The holy day for Muslims is Friday but they do not fast as it is only the end of the week and they go to religious services, like Sunday for Christians really. Footbal is played on Fridays normally.

uslims only fast during daylight hours in the month of Ramadan which is 30 days a year and next one will fall in early August 2011 so some of our players (Kolo and Yaya, Ibrahim) will be affected for 2 weeks of new season. That is if they actually fast.
There are provisions in Islam that allows people to break fast under certain circumstances and compensate for it by fasting another day after Ramadan. For instance if you are travelling (away games) which is considered a hardship, then you can break fast and compensate for it.
In the Arab and Muslim world, football in Ramadan is played at night always (at least 2-3 hours after breaking fast) so its never an issue if players are fasting. But of course this cannot happen in Europe.

Having mentioned Yaya, I thought I'd give you some insight about his name. Yaya comes from the Arabic name Yahya which is the name of John the Baptist (a recognised Prophet in Islam) in the Quran, the Muslim holy book. That means that Yaya's English name is John. Since we've never found a nickname for Yaya, maybe we can start calling him John or Johnny !!
Kolo's full name is Habib Kolo Toure. Habib in Arabic means Loved One but I don't think there is a good English alternative for it.

Just the type of post I was fishing for. Thanks mate.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:Muslims have no special preparations for Saturday as it is a normal day for them. Someone already mentioned Saturday is the Sabbath for Jews so, no issue here for Muslims. The holy day for Muslims is Friday but they do not fast as it is only the end of the week and they go to religious services, like Sunday for Christians really. Footbal is played on Fridays normally.

uslims only fast during daylight hours in the month of Ramadan which is 30 days a year and next one will fall in early August 2011 so some of our players (Kolo and Yaya, Ibrahim) will be affected for 2 weeks of new season. That is if they actually fast.
There are provisions in Islam that allows people to break fast under certain circumstances and compensate for it by fasting another day after Ramadan. For instance if you are travelling (away games) which is considered a hardship, then you can break fast and compensate for it.
In the Arab and Muslim world, football in Ramadan is played at night always (at least 2-3 hours after breaking fast) so its never an issue if players are fasting. But of course this cannot happen in Europe.

Brilliant.. Johnny it is then!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:30 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

Brilliant.. Johnny it is then!

I hope you get the chance to call him a Johnny, he's a big lad you know ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Burt wrote:
uwes_skyblue_duvet wrote:Shalom!

Saturday is the Jewish sabbath - i'm no religous expert, but they're not supposed to work or do anything much on a Saturday as far as I know. Might explain West Ham's form.

Avram Grant and Don't Tell Ben Haim or whatever his name is missed a game a bit back cos of Yom Kippur or summat.

Anyone who thinks I don;t do my research is dead right btw, so correct me if I'm wrong.

On the subject of Rammadan though, I'm glad I'm not a muslim - I'm nearly passing out if I reach midday without food, and wouldn't think I'd be fit to drive. I'm not anti-islam (no more so than any other religion anyway), just pro-scran.

How does it work with Spurs then?

Legend!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Saturday is the Jewish sabbath - i'm no religous expert, but they're not supposed to work or do anything much on a Saturday as far as I know. Might explain West Ham's form.

Avram Grant and Don't Tell Ben Haim or whatever his name is missed a game a bit back cos of Yom Kippur or summat.

Anyone who thinks I don;t do my research is dead right btw, so correct me if I'm wrong.

On the subject of Rammadan though, I'm glad I'm not a muslim - I'm nearly passing out if I reach midday without food, and wouldn't think I'd be fit to drive. I'm not anti-islam (no more so than any other religion anyway), just pro-scran.

had a couple of mates who lived in Jerusalem and they told me that you are not allowed to do anything on the Sabbath, so if you were driving through orthodox areas say with the radio on ( not allowed to listen or play music, or drive, or work ), then they would pelt your car with rocks! I thought fuclin hell how come you cant listen to the radio but are allowed to throw rocks!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:36 pm

dazby wrote:

Just the type of post I was fishing for. Thanks mate.

You're welcome Dazza.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:54 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

had a couple of mates who lived in Jerusalem and they told me that you are not allowed to do anything on the Sabbath, so if you were driving through orthodox areas say with the radio on ( not allowed to listen or play music, or drive, or work ), then they would pelt your car with rocks! I thought fuclin hell how come you cant listen to the radio but are allowed to throw rocks!

That made me laugh, that is all.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum