Wednesday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Wednesday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 am

Given 'not coping' with lack of games
THE familiar jibe aimed at Shay Given during international friendly weeks, most vocally from his old foe Roy Keane, is that he is racking up caps when others could do with the experience.
But it's different this time. Ireland's stand-in captain is looking forward to his involvement against Norway because he feels that his period in the background at Manchester City is removing the necessary sharpness to compete at the top level.
With Kevin Kilbane absent, Given will become his country's most capped player tonight, standing alone on 109 appearances. Rather than thinking about landmarks, he's just focusing on the chance to figure in a match, something he can't take for granted any more.
"I haven't come just to get another cap," he said in Malahide yesterday. "For me it's about playing football -- and I haven't played too many games this season.
"As a kid growing up, you want to play football and when you don't it's frustrating. So, this game is more about me getting a game than the cap thing."
Joe Hart is Roberto Mancini's preferred 'keeper, and a move away from Eastlands in January seems increasingly likely for Given. Hart is struggling with a back problem ahead of England's friendly with France and maybe a run of games could change things. In truth, though, Given knows he can't continue like this for much longer. He's not finding it easy.
"I've already said how I'm coping -- not very well to be honest," he continued. "My own personal situation isn't ideal. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months. I want to be playing football, so, hopefully, something might happen in the New Year."
When asked about Manchester City, he acknowledges that, regardless of his own situation, it's a pretty strange place to be at the minute, with persistent rumours of player unrest. "There's so much written about Man City, and it's unfair at times," he said.
"The press tries to say there's arguments every day and try to make big stories out of small stories. But I suppose that's part and parcel of being at a hugely ambitious club with and fantastic owners behind us."
Is he happier to be with Ireland this week?
"I probably am enjoying training here more at the minute, because I have a good chance of playing, which is not the case at the club," he responded. "There's more buzz for me personally because of that."
Since Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifiers with Russia and Slovakia last month, the 34-year-old has only seen action in a Europa League loss at the hands of Lech Poznan. Deep down, he knows that he is rusty and no amount of training can compensate for it.
"It's very difficult," he said. "You try and work hard in training, but obviously it's difficult to try and re-enact a match situation. I wish I was playing more because I would feel sharper, but this is the situation I'm in and I can't really change that.
"I'm getting the odd game. But it's not ideal, you want to play every week. So, to sit here and say I feel as sharp as I did when I was playing all the time -- well, I would be lying. I don't feel as sharp as I possibly could be, but if I get back in the team or get a run of games or whatever, I'm sure I'll be back up to speed."
Given retains a desire to continue playing until he is 40. "I'm having a good rest at the minute," he quipped. "And there's definitely an argument that goalkeepers can go on longer."
Giovanni Trapattoni interrupts to joke that it's a lucky position, mimicking a simple catch to suggest it's not that strenuous a position. Given has no option, but to join in. "Yeah, I just stand there and do very little," he joked.
Better than watching from afar and doing nothing at all. Irish Independent

James Milner: I came to Manchester City to win trophies & we will reach the top before Aston Villa
England winger denies any dressing room rifts
Manchester City winger James Milner is adamant the club are capable of winning silverware before former club Aston Villa and admits there are no "cliques" within the squad.
The 24-year-old made a big money move to the north west in August, and, despite criticism being placed on Roberto Mancini’s side, Milner insists the investment will aid City to a Champions League spot.
"City and Villa are both great clubs who are moving in the right direction, but I think City will get there quicker," Milner told the club’s official magazine.
"I think we are in the better position with the owners coming in and investing in the way they have and hopefully we’ll be soon in the Champions League and beyond."
City started off brightly at the beginning of the season but recent results have been less impressive, with goalless draws in their last two home matches.
The England winger believes, however, that it won’t be long until the Eastlands outfit will be filling the trophy cabinet with silverware.
"We’re all desperate to win trophies – that’s why I came to City," he said.
"We have a great squad and a fantastic fan base and everything is moving forward. It’s all there for us – now it’s up to us to go ahead and do it.
"I think that even if we do win a trophy, this year or next year, I think that pressure will still be there because the expectation is there. And if we do win something, the pressure will be on to win another one and show it wasn't just a one-off, but that’s the way we want it to be."
Mancini and his team have come under criticism in recent times with reports suggesting there is a lack of team unity, although Milner feels that is not the case.
"There’s a great bunch of guys at City and we all get on brilliantly with no cliques or anything like that," he added.
"We’re nicely placed in the league and just have to keep it going." Goal

TODAYS OTHER BOLLOX
Chelsea are considering a January swoop for Benfica's £25m-rated defender David Luiz with Alex and John Terry both facing spells on the sidelines with injuries. Daily Mirror

Liverpool are lining up a player-plus-cash offer for Borussia Dortmund hitman Lucas Barrios. talkSport

The Reds are also believed to be closing on a £7m deal for Real Sociedad's highly rated winger Antoine Griezmann. Daily Mail

Bayern Munich legend Franz Beckenbauer says Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner would be a perfect fit for the German club. Daily Mirror

Blackburn are poised to make a move for Standard Liege striker Mohammed Tchite when the January transfer window opens. talkSport

England coach Fabio Capello is using Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to monitor players' fitness levels after the team's World Cup failure last summer. Daily Mirror

Blackpool's Charlie Adam is set to win his £25,000 contract dispute with the club this week over his fight for a 'survival bonus'. Daily Mail

Karren Brady has promised West Ham fans the club will spend in the January transfer window in a bid for Premier League survival. talkSport

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart thinks life under manager Harry Redknapp is much more exciting than the time he spent under Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid. "There are no long and boring speeches about tactics," said the Dutchman.
Full story: the Sun

Although Cardiff City forward Jay Bothroyd was delighted to have been a surprise inclusion in the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against France, the 28-year-old's call-up actually came three years later than he had aimed for. fourfourtwo.com

The mooted appointment of Tottenham manager Redknapp as manager of the Great Britain football team for the London 2012 Olympics is being seen as the best way of persuading Wales to join England in providing players, such as midfielder Gareth Bale. Daily Mail

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has arrived back to Old Trafford half a stone lighter after his American boot camp experience to help him recover from an ankle injury. Daily Mirror
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Wednesday's B*ll*x

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 am

So, vdV confirms Harry doesn't use tactics - Kick-and-Rush I Say, Kick-and-Rush!

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart thinks life under manager Harry Redknapp is much more exciting than the time he spent under Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid. "There are no long and boring speeches about tactics," said the Dutchman.

And how can he comment on Mourinho, he was only there 5 minutes before vdV got binned?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 am

Beefymcfc wrote:So, vdV confirms Harry doesn't use tactics - Kick-and-Rush I Say, Kick-and-Rush!

And how can he comment on Mourinho, he was only there 5 minutes before vdV got binned?

im guessing it was 4.5 minutes or boring tactical shit tho...;)

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:41 pm

You'll never win anything with tactics.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Chinners » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Man City ready to raid Espanyol for £7million Ruiz
Manchester City are ready to meet the £7m release clause for Espanyol's promising centre-back Victor Ruiz.
The 21-year-old has become one of the most sought-after defenders in La Liga after a string of eye-catching performances for Espanyol and the Spain Under-21s.
His form attracted the interest of Napoli but their £4.5m bid in the summer fell way short of Espanyol's valuation.
But, according to reports in Spain, City scouts have been tracking Ruiz since the start of the season and could be ready to launch a bid in January.
Espanyol are desperate to keep hold of their star man, but should Roberto Mancini offer the required £7m, Ruiz will be free to negotiate with City.

Injured Hart ruled out of England action
Goalkeeper Joe Hart has been ruled out of England's friendly against France due to a back injury sustained during training on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old Manchester City player had been expected to win his eighth cap against Les Bleus at Wembley, but he has now returned to his club after being assessed by the England medical staff.
Watford's Scott Loach has joined up with the senior squad as cover, having played for the Under-21s in their 2-0 defeat by Germany on Tuesday evening.

Meanwhile, Citizens back-up keeper Shay Given has hinted that he will seek to leave the club in the January transfer window after losing his first-team spot to Hart.
He told the club's official website: "My own personal situation isn't ideal. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months.
"You try and work hard in training, but obviously it's difficult to try and re-enact a match situation.
"I wish I was playing more because I would feel sharper, but this is the situation I'm in and I can't really change that."

POPPY SHIRT BOLLOX
As part of our continuing commitment to support the Royal British Legion, fans are invited to bid on the specially embroidered shirts worn at the City v Birmingham game on Saturday 13th November
Each shirt was embroidered with the poppy, the emblem of the British Legion, and will be available through a sealed bids auction.
Bids should be submitted by post to Kevin McGuire, The Royal British Legion, 4th Floor, Byrom House, 21 Quay Street, Manchester M3 3JD or by e-mail to kmcguire@britishlegion.org.uk
Please clearly mark your envelope or e-mail with ‘Manchester City shirts auction’ and include your contact details along with details of your bid. Please do not send cheques, you will be informed if your bid has been successful.
The closing date for bids will be Friday 3rd December and the shirts available belong to Gareth Barry, Jerome Boateng, Nigel DeJong, Joe Hart, Jo, Adam Johnson, Aleksander Kolarov, Vincent Kompany, James Milner, Roque Santa Cruz, David Silva, Micah Richards, Carlos Tevez, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Patrick Vieira and Pablo Zabaleta.

Wolfsburg link to Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz played down by player's agent
The Paraguay international 'surplus to requirement' at Eastlands
The agent of Manchester City player Roque Santa Cruz has played down talk of German club Wolfsburg making a move for the striker in January.
The Paraguay international has been told by City boss Roberto Mancini that he is surplus to requirements at Eastlands and will be able to leave the club in the January transfer window.
The 29-year-old only made his second appearance of the season when he came off the bench against Birmingham City on Saturday, and has been linked with Fulham as well as being reunited with former City and England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson at Championship club Leicester City.
Santa Cruz was also rumoured to have been offered to Wolfsburg in the summer as part of a swap deal for Bosnian striker Edin Dzeko.
Dzeko has now committed to the Bundesliga club until the end of the season, although City are still hopeful of signing him then, and Santa Cruz’s agent Jan van Baal claims that Wolfsburg, managed by former Three Lions boss Steve McClaren, have not expressed a desire to take the former Bayern Munich star back to Germany.
"I am not aware of the interest of Wolfsburg," Van Baal told the Daily Express.
"They are not interested in the player."
Santa Cruz has not had the best of times at Manchester City since his £17.5 million move from Blackburn Rovers in July 2009, having been behind Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor in the pecking order for most of the time, and only scoring three goals in 20 appearances for the Citzens.

Mario Balotelli hints at Manchester City exit as striker reveals ambition to link up with AC Milan star Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Manchester City's £23million summer signing Mario Balotelli has fuelled further suggestions he may be on his way back to Italy after declaring: 'I want to play with Zlatan Ibrahimovic.'
Balotelli, 20, moved to Eastlands from Inter Milan in August but has so far only played a handful of games due to injury and is currently serving a three-match suspension.
His agent Mino Raiola - who also represents AC Milan's Ibrahimovic and who negotiated his move from Barcelona to Serie A in the summer, was asked recently if Baloltelli was happy in England and replied: So, so.'
Slow start: Italian striker Balotelli isn't firing on all cylinders for Manchester City
Speaking ahead of Italy's friendly against Romania in Austria, Balotelli said: 'One day I will return and play with Ibrahimovic. I don't know in which shirt it will be but I know it will happen.''
The City striker was in Italy at the weekend to see Ibrahimovic slot home a penalty as the Rossoneri beat rivals Inter.
As he left the San Siro Balotelli was heard chanting: 'Ibra, Ibra' and said he had been at the game to cheer on a player he rates as one of the best in the world.
AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani was spotted having dinner with Balotelli at a Milan restaurant later on Sunday night - and a picture of them eating was published in Gazzetta dello Sport.
Big shot: Ibrahimovic was the star of the Milan derby with the only goal
The two have played down the speculation but at the same time if Balotelli wants to fulfill his desire it will have to be with the Rossoneri as Ibrahimovic has vowed to stay until the end of his playing days.
The Sweden international has also praised Balotelli in the past and said: 'He asked me to come and play with him at City but I think Mario one day will ask to come and play here. We shall have to watch this space.'
Balotelli moved to Eastlands on a five-year deal after being contacted by boss Roberto Mancini who worked closely with the striker when he was in charge at Inter.

OTHER BOLLOX
Tottenham midfielder Niko Kranjcar has told Croatian agency Mediaservis he could leave if he continues to be left on the sidelines, but insists he would prefer to stay at White Hart Lane.
"I have to wait to see what Tottenham have to say, but as things stand, a transfer somewhere else is not that far away," he said. "I am not angry or too disappointed. I believe that things will improve at Spurs. But if not then I will look for a club where I can play week in and week out."

Meanwhile Kranjcar's father Zlato, the manager of the Montenegro national team, claims his son has already made up his mind, telling another Croatian agency 24sata: "Niko is definitely leaving Tottenham. There just isn't any sense to be sitting on the bench all the time."

Turkish club Fenerbahce are lining up an £18m move for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov. (0730 GMT) imscouting.com
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Return to The Maine Football forum