The sitting on the fence/wait and see party

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The sitting on the fence/wait and see party

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 am

Polarisation is taking place once again, but once again I find myself sitting on the fence (ish). I'm not sure, and I'm not sure for the reasons listed below. I find it hard that so many people have such very strong opinions that it's very likely, come January, that the other side will say "I told you so" with great relish.

1) We were shite on Saturday (bad) but created 24 chances (good)
2) If just one chance had gone in, or been allowed 3 points would've looked a mighty site better
3) We restricted the mighty Scum to one chance (good), but we were boring and didn't look like scoring (bad)
4) We have several top players at our club (good) but they aren't working together (bad)
5) We could fire the manager now (good/bad), but could get someone worse (very bad)
6) We would be THE laughing stock once again (very bad) but may go on to win the league (good)
7) Sometimes under Mancini we have been really good (some this year, mostly last) (good) but at times we have been awful (bad)
8) Some players have been 'pushed aside' (SWP, Given, Lecott, Ade, RSC, Jo) (bad) but they are a lot worse than what we have and numerous threads are always slating them (good)
9) Bellamy was an excellent player (good) but spent a lot of time criticising the manager - and therefore the club - and hobnobbed with Moyes and Dodgy Arry after they got one over on us (very very bad)
10) We are 4th (good) but could and should be second (bad)
11) Balotelli is to come back in, and Tevez will get fit, and we may sign another (good) but it may not make any difference or they may all get injured(bad)
12) We can be a very solid defensive unit (good) but at the moment it is affecting our attacking (bad), which it didn't really do last year (good)

So I'm not sure, and in truth I suspect the board is now the same, but I just cant see them sacking him now - which is the same argument as Hughes in summer 2009 and during the autumn. In fact we'd all got used to the idea of a full season under Hughes when they pulled the surprise. But if they aint going to sack Bobby, why all this wasted vitriol?

So come and join me on the fence, wait and see which party turns out right, on the grounds he just aint gonna be fired yet. Support the team, not add to the considerable external pressure.

And you know what? I was never sure about Hughes, and have a sneaky feeling we would've won that cup!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: The sitting on the fence/wait and see party

Postby mr_nool » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 am

Fence sitters of the world, unite and take over!

Good post John. I will climb off the fence and publicly state that I agree with you. I'm very disappointed with he football on display right now, but don't know what I think we should do about it (if anything).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:18 am

We're in two minds over what we think about this.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby The Foggy Blue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 am

We sack the manager and WE ARE THE IDIOTS.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:30 am

I think in some way at least everyone of us is waiting to see what will happen.We are 4th and in a decent position and could push on to have a great season. But we could have a bad spell and fade into a mere Europa league space.

We have heard all about it being a new team and needing to gel but that's getting a bit old now.We have also heard that it will all be ok when we get the full team available. Boateng will be the answer, Kolarov will be the answerWait till we get them both playing together bombing down the wings!,Balotelli will be the answer!There is always a reason for a not quite performance.Will Manicini's approach to games ( cautious) turn out to be successful or not?

We have seen glimpses of the good and also of the not so good but we are just a 1/3rd of the way through the season.Like it or not we just have to watch and wait for another batch of games to see where we stand and I do think by Christmas we really will know what we have got here.Mancini has problems for sure but it is his job to sort them out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:35 am

Im with you here mate, Im firmly on the fence.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby The Foggy Blue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think in some way at least everyone of us is waiting to see what will happen.We are 4th and in a decent position and could push on to have a great season. But we could have a bad spell and fade into a mere Europa league space.

We have heard all about it being a new team and needing to gel but that's getting a bit old now.We have also heard that it will all be ok when we get the full team available. Boateng will be the answer, Kolarov will be the answerWait till we get them both playing together bombing down the wings!,Balotelli will be the answer!There is always a reason for a not quite performance.Will Manicini's approach to games ( cautious) turn out to be successful or not?

We have seen glimpses of the good and also of the not so good but we are just a 1/3rd of the way through the season.Like it or not we just have to watch and wait for another batch of games to see where we stand and I do think by Christmas we really will know what we have got here.Mancini has problems for sure but it is his job to sort them out.

Exactly... Give him the season.

Jesus lads, how many managers have been sacked while we have been supporting our beloved club? How many trophies has that won us?

MAYBE THE THING TO DO IS TO STICK BY A MANAGER - LONG TERM - AND LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

We really are our own worst enemy when it comes to this type of thing. We know the media are out to get us so out with the paranoia and lets focus on the bigger picture.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:00 am

Surely we're all fence sitters bar 1 or 2, in a way? The only reasonable case for sacking Mancini would come if we reach a situation where it's clearly impossible to reach the target set & then imo only if the team looks like it's not good enough to move up into the top 3 or 4 next season.

It's not us who decide that though. Can we guarantee patience at the top? I was convinced that last season they would stick with Hughes until the end & see where he finished, then review it. They actually sacked him for being just a few points offf the target of course, halfway through. If they have the same criteria for Mancini, he could easily be out of a job in two weeks, because last season, without telling Hughes, they'd already decided to sack him well before Christmas & were just waiting for the right moment (but he aparently found out).

If Mancini is 'their man' it may be different but if he's purely Marwood's man, he needs resuts right now, next 3 games & so do we imo as we don't want that shit again, it was horrible & a disgrace & embarrassment to the club.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Kladze » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am

As a representative of the "first to blink and call for his head" club, it may surprise you to learn that even I have at least got an outstretched arm touching the fence.

a) We are in fourth place (good) but don't look capable of staying there (bad)
b) We have some fine midfield players (good) but they play most of the game in the middle of our half (bad)
c) We have players who can change the course of a match by themselves (good) but we are over reliant on them (bad)
d) We have a solid defence (good) but we protect it so much that it stunts us in attack (bad)
e) We are good at boring the opposition (good) but we numb the brains of our own fans (very, very bad)
f) Our manager has a plan (good) but his plan doesn't appeal to me and many others (very, very bad)

If I was in charge and absolutely had to make a decision now, he'd be a goner but I'm not so I'll try to regain some belief and patience and see how it goes - roll on the next match, hope springs eternal and all that.

PS Bobby Manc ........ I actually like you - please push our midfield forward a bit and get someone running past the focal point of the attack.

Cheers
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 am

I too am in the Trevor Brooking party.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Chinners » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

The football is shit to watch but Mancini should have the full season to see if he can get 4th (just like Leslie should of had las season tbh) as the constant changing of managers just puts us back every season which it the bit I am getting pissed off about, oh to let someone have 3 full seasons in charge
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Ive constructed a kind of tree house on my fence.. so i can comfortably camp out.. im calling it the T house and i have weekly wait and see T parties.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Just a What if thought... What if the waiting, sitting on the fence turned out to be the right thing to do?

In a lot of ways the comparison with Hughes is valid at this stage, after all Hughes was playing to win and getting everyone to pile it on.. the performance against Chelsea at home was one of the best tramplings of Chelsea i have ever seen, we did the same to Arsenal more than once... really great stuff, but then went and let teams that got relegated waltz straight through us.

Conclusion, there lacked a professional balance.

The question that has to be asked that no-one seems imo able to ask or answer is what does it take to create that?

One answer to that often from the one liner brigade seems to be Mourinho.

If you think about what he would have done post Hughes.. it would have been very similar to what Mancini did.. sort out the
defensive capabilty of the team and have them organised professionally, then build on it. How long would that have taken at City ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:50 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Ive constructed a kind of tree house on my fence.. so i can comfortably camp out.. im calling it the T house and i have weekly wait and see T parties.

I've greased my fence up and added nails and broken glass on the top just in case some fucker tries to climb up it. When the time comes, I'll jump off and some licker can have my seat!

I've been a fence sitter with every manager we've had in my time, the only thing that changes is the timing of the 'Out'!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john68 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:Ive constructed a kind of tree house on my fence.. so i can comfortably camp out.. im calling it the T house and i have weekly wait and see T parties.

I've greased my fence up and added nails and broken glass on the top just in case some fucker tries to climb up it. When the time comes, I'll jump off and some licker can have my seat!

I've been a fence sitter with every manager we've had in my time, the only thing that changes is the timing of the 'Out'!

You expecting the in laws to visit?...:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:11 pm

john68 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

You expecting the in laws to visit?...:-)

Nah mate, I've got the shotgun and bull mastiff for that ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Hmm interesting... i did include a door on each side of the fence T house, both alarmed of course, in case i need to jump either way.
The whole fence is a bit of an eyesore now as the last 14 fence houses are all in various states of decay running back down the garden. The Sven one i noticed recently is losing its 'nice' paint job rapidly. The previous one is still in good fettle though and even thought of building a bridge to it... it has a certain 'flair' that is lacking in the current one... but i think i might wait till after the weekend before making any real plans.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby john68 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Maybe after the Fulham game...you will be able to DRAW some conclusions.....coat...hat...anybody?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Hmm interesting... i did include a door on each side of the fence T house, both alarmed of course, in case i need to jump either way.
The whole fence is a bit of an eyesore now as the last 14 fence houses are all in various states of decay running back down the garden. The Sven one i noticed recently is losing its 'nice' paint job rapidly. The previous one is still in good fettle though and even thought of building a bridge to it... it has a certain 'flair' that is lacking in the current one... but i think i might wait till after the weekend before making any real plans.

I hear that Hughes got de-fence kicked in and that Mancio's needs a little gloss ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beeks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum