Extra strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Extra strikers not the answer, explains Mancini

Postby gillie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
bluej wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Steve wrote:In other teams, midfielders score aswell

This is a key point imo. If you take Tevez out of the equation, how many goals do the rest of that team score on average over their careers? Letting go of players like Bellamy & Robinho, who score 1 in 3 & replacing them with players who score 1 in 8 is obviously weakening the attacking potency of the squad & was asking for trouble. Hopefully he will rectify his mistakes in Jan.

I'd love to see Milner given a go in the midfield 3 as I reckon that would go towards solving some of the problems going forward, Yaya and Barry are just too slow to go back and forth and De Jong is the defensive foil.

Don't understand why Milner is always played out wide. As a wide player, he's been mostly average during his career. It's only since he moved to the centre that he became talked about as a future top England player & as being worth money. Any Villa fan will tell you he's wasted playing wide. There are about 40 other better wide players we could have signed if that's what we needed. It would have been better for him & us to leave him at Villa if we're not going to give him a run of games in his best position.

Ted we could have the best wingers in the world mate but if no one is in the box for a cross they would be passengers.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

gillie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
bluej wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Steve wrote:In other teams, midfielders score aswell

This is a key point imo. If you take Tevez out of the equation, how many goals do the rest of that team score on average over their careers? Letting go of players like Bellamy & Robinho, who score 1 in 3 & replacing them with players who score 1 in 8 is obviously weakening the attacking potency of the squad & was asking for trouble. Hopefully he will rectify his mistakes in Jan.

I'd love to see Milner given a go in the midfield 3 as I reckon that would go towards solving some of the problems going forward, Yaya and Barry are just too slow to go back and forth and De Jong is the defensive foil.

Don't understand why Milner is always played out wide. As a wide player, he's been mostly average during his career. It's only since he moved to the centre that he became talked about as a future top England player & as being worth money. Any Villa fan will tell you he's wasted playing wide. There are about 40 other better wide players we could have signed if that's what we needed. It would have been better for him & us to leave him at Villa if we're not going to give him a run of games in his best position.

Ted we could have the best wingers in the world mate but if no one is in the box for a cross they would be passengers.

True but it could hit a defender & go in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 am

In this particular game, with Tevez clearly not fit, I would've preferred to see Milner have a go up front rather than subbed. He was one of our better players, and can allegedly play anywhere.

Pretty sure RSC would've had something to offer in a game like that from the off, but without game time he's clearly off the pace, and will stay there if we keep playing injured strikers.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:01 am

john@staustell wrote:In this particular game, with Tevez clearly not fit, I would've preferred to see Milner have a go up front rather than subbed. He was one of our better players, and can allegedly play anywhere.

Pretty sure RSC would've had something to offer in a game like that from the off, but without game time he's clearly off the pace, and will stay there if we keep playing injured strikers.

In the absence of Adebayor and Balotelli, I would have started him yesterday, and for future games. This 1 up front business with Tevez expected to do it all is just too much hard work for him, then he starts roaming around the pitch looking for the ball, so when one of the wingers is ready to cross, he is only just hauling his ass into the box, plus he is a midget.

We need a player who will stand on the penalty spot and be a nuisance to the defenders as a foil for Tevez, and Mancini knows this hence him bemoaning Balotelli's ban. But if that is the tactic you want to play bobby, are you really saying that none of Ade, RSC, Jo, are capable of doing what you are asking Balotelli to do? Its fucking horseshit, the silly cunt is trying to reinvent the fucking wheel here. Football is a very simple game, and he is just trying to complicate things needlessly
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby paulmclaren » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 am

Let's just give him a bit of time for god sake.
We will improve, it all take's time.
Whoever we get in, they have to get the respect of the players.
And some players at city do need to be sold, they have the wrong attitude.
If we sack him were mad, unless we go on a 5-7 game loosing streak or something crazy like that.
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:04 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
He shipped out Bellers and Robinho and may as well force Ade and RSC to wear t shirts with the slogan "cunt for hire" for how much respect he's shown them.

If we have no strikers it's his fault!

Bellamy had problems with the manager, we all know that. He wouldn't have performed like we know he can, and even if he ahd there was a high chance of a bust up during the season.

Robinho...didn't most of the board here want to ship him out last season thanks to his lazy attitude? If he's not willing to work hard for the team he can go as far as I'm concerned.

Ade...same, he thinks he should start every game and if the manager benches him for some time he sulks...what professional attitude is that? Still, he has been given more than enough play time in the latest weeks, and I don't doubt he will be given more time to prove himself before the transfer window, but he must perform, something he did only on occasion so far.

RSC...often injured, similar to Adebayor, he can be a fourth choice striker, if he is not happy with that it's his problem.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
He shipped out Bellers and Robinho and may as well force Ade and RSC to wear t shirts with the slogan "cunt for hire" for how much respect he's shown them.

Bellamy had problems with the manager, we all know that. He wouldn't have performed like we know he can, and even if he ahd there was a high chance of a bust up during the season.

Robinho...didn't most of the board here want to ship him out last season thanks to his lazy attitude? If he's not willing to work hard for the team he can go as far as I'm concerned.

Ade...same, he thinks he should start every game and if the manager benches him for some time he sulks...what professional attitude is that? Still, he has been given more than enough play time in the latest weeks, and I don't doubt he will be given more time to prove himself before the transfer window, but he must perform, something he did only on occasion so far.

RSC...often injured, similar to Adebayor, he can be a fourth choice striker, if he is not happy with that it's his problem.

So, what do we do then, do we just keep on playing Carlos as a lone striker when Mario can't play? I mentioned a while ago about our rotation policy and how we should at least be giving our fringe players some game time to ensure they have had at least some time on the pitch. We are paying these players enormous amounts to be at the club and the truth is we all know they can score goals.

Carlos is not a typical No.9 and cannot offer what a central striker would bring and by cutting our noses off to spite our face, it's leaving us in a position where we are running certain players into the ground. OK, play fast attacking midfielders when you play the lone Carlos system, but playing slow methodical tactics with no attacking figure head will lead to what we are seeing now - a toothless crocodile.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:51 am

WE NEED A PLAYMAKER.

I've said it so many times now that I just wish I'd have the money myself so I could go out and buy him one.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:WE NEED A PLAYMAKER.

I've said it so many times now that I just wish I'd have the money myself so I could go out and buy him one.

Silva? And without a central striker to open things up, pushing the oppo defence around, it makes it very difficult for a playmaker to make any headway.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

So, what do we do then, do we just keep on playing Carlos as a lone striker when Mario can't play? I mentioned a while ago about our rotation policy and how we should at least be giving our fringe players some game time to ensure they have had at least some time on the pitch. We are paying these players enormous amounts to be at the club and the truth is we all know they can score goals.

Carlos is not a typical No.9 and cannot offer what a central striker would bring and by cutting our noses off to spite our face, it's leaving us in a position where we are running certain players into the ground. OK, play fast attacking midfielders when you play the lone Carlos system, but playing slow methodical tactics with no attacking figure head will lead to what we are seeing now - a toothless crocodile.

The way that Mancini wants to play, if I'm reading it correctly from what I've seen & what he's saying, is only going to have a chance of working when every single player is fit & available. That can't continue to be the case. The striker situation was obvious from the moment he let Bellamy go; either Tevez has to play almost every game on his own, successfully, or we have to be able to rely on Ade &/or Balotelli. Do they really seem like the kind of players you would want to rely on? They are both mental. Why a bloke who is afraid to come out of his own half v Utd is willing to gamble our season on those two I've never understood. Neither do I undestand why he spent weeks getting Jo up to speed whilst telling RSC he has no future, then treats Jo like a leper for the next 10 games or so & now puts RSC in the team. That's not an orchestrated football symphony imo, it's free form jazz.

Luckily, we have a lot of, for a top 4 side, potentially winnable fixtures & a transfer window coming up. If we're to get the best out of Mancini's preferred systems, we need more striking options & we need midfielders/wingers who can create & score for when he plays one up front. I'm sure he can do this & get it right but never has a manager needed more handing on a plate to him in order to get some semblence of balance into a team which was pretty good before he got near it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:So, what do we do then, do we just keep on playing Carlos as a lone striker when Mario can't play? I mentioned a while ago about our rotation policy and how we should at least be giving our fringe players some game time to ensure they have had at least some time on the pitch. We are paying these players enormous amounts to be at the club and the truth is we all know they can score goals.

No, I'd play Adebayor with Carlos when Mario is out, but this time Ade was out injured too, wasn't he? That would leave me, if I were the manager, with RSC or Jo. Do you trust Jo? I don't, even if I was one of his defenders when he first came and couldn't perform. I've lost faith in him tbh so I barely consider him an option.

So had RSC started against Brum, we would only have Jo as a potential game-changer on the bench. I think Mancini trusts RSC more than Jo right now as a game-changer, so he put his faith in the midfielders to support Carlos in the starting lineup.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:47 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:So, what do we do then, do we just keep on playing Carlos as a lone striker when Mario can't play? I mentioned a while ago about our rotation policy and how we should at least be giving our fringe players some game time to ensure they have had at least some time on the pitch. We are paying these players enormous amounts to be at the club and the truth is we all know they can score goals.

No, I'd play Adebayor with Carlos when Mario is out, but this time Ade was out injured too, wasn't he? That would leave me, if I were the manager, with RSC or Jo. Do you trust Jo? I don't, even if I was one of his defenders when he first came and couldn't perform. I've lost faith in him tbh so I barely consider him an option.

So had RSC started against Brum, we would only have Jo as a potential game-changer on the bench. I think Mancini trusts RSC more than Jo right now as a game-changer, so he put his faith in the midfielders to support Carlos in the starting lineup.

What has got to be taken into account is the opposition, and although they do have a solid formation they do have a tendency to get rattled when they've got a typical No.9 getting amongst them. This could be seen against the likes of Stoke and West Ham where a front man pushed the defence and allowed their wide men to get around the back and forcing them to turn their backs from the on-coming play. If I can see that, surely our management team can.

For me, I wanted Ade up there but once I seen he wasn't in the squad, I was a little disappointed that RSC was on the bench. The bigger gamble was to play Carlos as a lone striker, a player who we already knew was carrying an injury, and expecting him to do the lot.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ashton287 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

There are 13 teams in the league that have scored the same or more goals than us.

Strikers that could actually score goals is exactly what we need. We dont need "extra" strikers we need to replace the 3 completely useless ones that we have and if balotelli doesnt stop being a dick and score 10-15 in the rest of the season he can fuck off aswell.

We need 3 star strikers that are capable of scoring against anyone. Not one with 4 bellends sitting on the bench.

get dzeko and carroll in january and get rid of ade, jo and RSC.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby gillie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 pm

ashton287 wrote:There are 13 teams in the league that have scored the same or more goals than us.

Strikers that could actually score goals is exactly what we need. We dont need "extra" strikers we need to replace the 3 completely useless ones that we have and if balotelli doesnt stop being a dick and score 10-15 in the rest of the season he can fuck off aswell.

We need 3 star strikers that are capable of scoring against anyone. Not one with 4 bellends sitting on the bench.

But who are going to cross to them mate.We are fuckin woeful at delivering the ball into the box.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 pm

gillie wrote:
ashton287 wrote:There are 13 teams in the league that have scored the same or more goals than us.

But who are going to cross to them mate.We are fuckin woeful at delivering the ball into the box.

That's because we play wingers on the wrong wings!
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Who the three useless strikers you refer to?

Is Carlos Tevez one of them? If so you're a fucking retard.

If not, carry on, as you were.
Original Dub

Postby gillie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Who the three useless strikers you refer to?

Is Carlos Tevez one of them? If so you're a fucking retard.

If not, carry on, as you were.

Ronan you plank read his post again he names all 3 lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Behave Aston, Adebayor is prolific at this level. PROLIFIC. We have a manager who'd rather player one of a number of slow, cumbersome, ageing midfielders than play Ade. The title of this thread practically tells us so.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 pm

I was beginning to take your angry post seriously then, that was until you said Andy Carroll was a Star Striker! What's he done so far to be classed amongst the Stars of Attacking Football, and proved to be better than Ade?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:

FUCKING HELL!!!

We have a squad full of skilfull ball carriers/wingers, who play on the wrong wing, dribble past their player only to realise there is no point crossing it because:
a: No cunt is in the box because Tevez was the one who just made the pass to them
b: there is a 5 foot fuck all centre forward in there marked by 3x 6 foot monsters
c: even if we do muster two bodies into the box, they are both 5 foot fuck all

Now if the silly cunt can't see that not having an extra striker in the side might cause a problem when a team comes to us to defend...................I really fucking do give up.

As for a game changer, you shouldn't ever need a game changer if you simply attempted to mount a coherent attacking strategy at home vs a bottom 3 side.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum