IF Mancini was replaced, who would you like? POLL

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Which manager would you take from this shortlist?

Van Gaal
10%
Hiddink
49%
Rijkaard
11%
Redknapp
6%
O'Neill
9%
Keegan
7%
Coyle
9%

Total votes : 94

Re: IF Mancini was replaced, who would you like? POLL

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 am

colonel_muck wrote:i'd take any of those names, but i've gone for coyle. would havekept burnley up (easily) and in less than a full season has transformed the style of one of the most industrious, ugly sides to ever play football into a stylish, classy outfit. a truly amazing manager wherever he's been. gets great team spirit because he's likeable and players love to go forward. anyone that gets elmander scoring deserves a medal!!!

Agreed Coyle has done a fantastic job.

Nobody told him that you have to play ultra defensive football to achieve you goals? I hope nobody does, they're a nice team to watch now.
Original Dub

Postby Dunnylad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:25 am

sandman wrote:Sven did not have us playing sideways and backwards, he had us winning games through good football, once the players ran out of steam it went tits up, given another transfer window to add depth to his squad (under the new regime) I am fully confident he would have had us in the top 2 by now.

Sven had no plan B and that was bloody obvious from the fans on here who quite rightly criticised him at the times. He also had a transfer window, panicked and bought Benjani, who despite the goal against the rags wasn't a great signing at all - agree with an earlier post, the start to Sven's first season was great, but then the wheels fell off and I still haven't been back to the Riverside Stadium yet!! Think I might need therapy lol!
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby blue wine » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 am

alan ball
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:27 am

Sven may have done a decent job, I wouldn't rule it out.

But he would have had us playing very similar football to what we are now. I reckon that's where Bobby picked it up from!
Original Dub

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 am

Original Dub wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:i'd take any of those names, but i've gone for coyle. would havekept burnley up (easily) and in less than a full season has transformed the style of one of the most industrious, ugly sides to ever play football into a stylish, classy outfit. a truly amazing manager wherever he's been. gets great team spirit because he's likeable and players love to go forward. anyone that gets elmander scoring deserves a medal!!!

Nobody told him that you have to play ultra defensive football to achieve you goals? I hope nobody does, they're a nice team to watch now.

and its against all opposition. i was actually gutted when i heard they were in debt and they're gonna have to sell loads of players in january. it goes to show football is totally fucked up at the moment. coyle hasn't spent that much but elmander, cahill, lee and davies are all sure fire to be gone. thats the core of their team these days. sad.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am

colonel_muck wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

and its against all opposition. i was actually gutted when i heard they were in debt and they're gonna have to sell loads of players in january. it goes to show football is totally fucked up at the moment. coyle hasn't spent that much but elmander, cahill, lee and davies are all sure fire to be gone. thats the core of their team these days. sad.

That is sad. I used to hate watching them play, but I'd hate to see any team who try play football the right way having to sell players. Unfortunately, money makes the world go round.

Or should I say "fortunately"? I don't know anymore...
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am

I can't believe Hiddink is winning by a landslide! I mean, I've never hid the fact that for me the most important thing are the results and if they come by playing good football that's brilliant. Hiddink's football is fucking booring! He gets results but his teams are dull as fuck.

By the way, Mourinho has the same tag for whatever reason but I have always quite enjoyed watching his teams.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby blues-clues » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am

What is the position regarding Pep Guardiola? Seem to remember him saying he did not want to stay at Barcelona for very long and is only renewing his contract on an annual basis?
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:58 am

blues-clues wrote:What is the position regarding Pep Guardiola? Seem to remember him saying he did not want to stay at Barcelona for very long and is only renewing his contract on an annual basis?

I'd say he'd be complete disaster anywhere else. He is Barca boy through and through and has never managed or even coached any place else. In fact, he has only ever played 45 games in any other team than Barcelona.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I can't believe Hiddink is winning by a landslide! I mean, I've never hid the fact that for me the most important thing are the results and if they come by playing good football that's brilliant. Hiddink's football is fucking booring! He gets results but his teams are dull as fuck.

By the way, Mourinho has the same tag for whatever reason but I have always quite enjoyed watching his teams.

yes, i don't know where this stigma about mourinho teams comes from. he prob won 3 games 1-0 in succession and it just stuck. chelsea and inter milan have been nothing but breath taking in my eyes.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
blues-clues wrote:What is the position regarding Pep Guardiola? Seem to remember him saying he did not want to stay at Barcelona for very long and is only renewing his contract on an annual basis?

I'd say he'd be complete disaster anywhere else. He is Barca boy through and through and has never managed or even coached any place else. In fact, he has only ever played 45 games in any other team than Barcelona.

I'd feel the same. There's no guarantee he'd work. Nor is there a guarantee for anyone else either I suppose!
Original Dub

Postby blues-clues » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Yeah.....it would be terrible if City started playing like Barcelona! Sorry it was a crap idea!
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm

In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Surely this is the wrong poll - there should be one first about should Mancini be replaced and only if that is with a majority saying yes - then the options considered

I find it hard to vote for one - when I would vote not to change - surely last year taught us something - Mancini was a popular choice then - as popular at least as most of these options - so perhaps they would also fail unless they were given time! - that is what Mancini should get
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am

Dermot O'Leary, if he's not available then it has to be Ben Mee.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 am

Promote from within, Platt has all his badges doesn't he?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:If Mancini wad replaced..and I doubt that would happen considering we are still 4th in the league..then I certainly wouldn't have any of those chancers..Special One or nothing for me

This. If we are going to change manager once more and needlessly throw away even more time in our building project then I want the best, at least no one will question the style every week when we are top of the league (which i think we will be even with Mancini eventually, tbh).

dazby wrote:Oh, and Rainieri for me. ;-)

Fuck me, I'm pretty satisfied with what he's doing at Roma but I shudder to think what this board would have been like if City had had a start of the season like Roma did this term...five consecutive away defeats between league and CL, drawing at home with newly promoted team then throwing away a 2-0 lead at home to a relegation fight candidate...all of this while Lazio got on top of the league. There was a mounting pressure for him to be sacked even after last season when he almost brought Roma to a surprising title against Mourinho's Inter. Now things have got better and Roma is back on track but it would have been real madness here with a start like that, if the attitude toward Mancini is something to go by, also because Ranieri doesn't play bthe most spectacular football around either. ;)

colonel_muck wrote:i'd take any of those names, but i've gone for coyle. would havekept burnley up (easily) and in less than a full
season has transformed the style of one of the most industrious, ugly sides to ever play football into a stylish, classy outfit. a truly amazing manager wherever he's been. gets great team spirit because he's likeable and players love to go forward. anyone that gets elmander scoring deserves a medal!!!

Problem is that he's unproven in managing big ego stars like the ones we have. And that's always the biggest obstacle for managers going from a relatively small club to one filled with (supposedly) international stars.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Sister of fu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 am

Where's the Ian Holloway button?? If were going to rip it up and start again let's at least do it with someone that will make us laugh after a defeat!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby circumspect » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Mancini 100% but if he got cheesed off with the crap that comes his way then van Gaal is the best of those listed for us, IMO.
circumspect
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

My favourite player is: Dave Watson

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 pm

"Problem is that he's unproven in managing big ego stars like the ones we have. And that's always the biggest obstacle for managers going from a relatively small club to one filled with (supposedly) international stars.

That's an interesting one for me. I am not sure when it has been tried so that it can be confirmed as a real problem.At the moment I fear we are witnessing a manager who is supposedly able to handle big name stars but seems to be having problems.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum