IF Mancini was replaced, who would you like? POLL

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Which manager would you take from this shortlist?

Van Gaal
10%
Hiddink
49%
Rijkaard
11%
Redknapp
6%
O'Neill
9%
Keegan
7%
Coyle
9%

Total votes : 94

Re: IF Mancini was replaced, who would you like? POLL

Postby bluej » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am

Original Dub wrote:So Hiddink was approached by City in the summer?

He also seems to be the favourite from this thread. So all you fucking numpties who keep telling me its pointless should take stock, because our owners clearly think it is in no way pointless and rightly so.

Its doesn't matter who is in charge, there is nothing wrong with a contingency plan. Even the scum had a contingency plan when it looked like Baconface might leave. All clubs have one or more contingency plans.

Its perfectly normal. It doesn't mean they want to sack the manager. Nor this thread.

Thanks to those who were able to contribute to it without having a little cry.

So we'll believe the press in this instance but when they're on about Tevez wanting to leave we'll start foaming at the mouth and moaning about how much bullshit they write?

I can't see the point in appointing Hiddink, its not like we're going to be able to build a lasting legacy with a guy who is over 60 already.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 am

bluej wrote:
Original Dub wrote:So Hiddink was approached by City in the summer?

He also seems to be the favourite from this thread. So all you fucking numpties who keep telling me its pointless should take stock, because our owners clearly think it is in no way pointless and rightly so.

Its doesn't matter who is in charge, there is nothing wrong with a contingency plan. Even the scum had a contingency plan when it looked like Baconface might leave. All clubs have one or more contingency plans.

Its perfectly normal. It doesn't mean they want to sack the manager. Nor this thread.

Thanks to those who were able to contribute to it without having a little cry.

So we'll believe the press in this instance but when they're on about Tevez wanting to leave we'll start foaming at the mouth and moaning about how much bullshit they write?

I can't see the point in appointing Hiddink, its not like we're going to be able to build a lasting legacy with a guy who is over 60 already.

That's one of the problems I'd have with getting in a guy of his age, but at least if we won the league or cup, we'd have that mentality in the squad for a younger guy.

I just want to enjoy my weekends, hopefully Bobby starts to produce.

One thing I will say - the press being so negative about our football and the 20 odd thousand who left the stadium along with those who booed.

All neccessary if Roberto is going to be forced into the change we all want IMO.
Original Dub

Postby saulman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 am

I'm refusing to vote here. The poll should be 'Who do you want as our manager?' and Mancinis name should be on the list.
To talk of sacking him at this stage of the season when we're in 4th is ludicrous in the extreme.

If one of those shots had actually gone in yesterday, there would be none of this bollocks. It's total fuckin madness.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 am

saulman wrote:I'm refusing to vote here. The poll should be 'Who do you want as our manager?' and Mancinis name should be on the list.
To talk of sacking him at this stage of the season when we're in 4th is ludicrous in the extreme.

If one of those shots had actually gone in yesterday, there would be none of this bollocks. It's total fuckin madness.

Saulman, I know you arrived late and probably didn't see my numerous other replies to folk who think having a contingency plan is a joke.

You do know City approached Hiddink in the Summer don't you? Are our owners a joke too? Are the owners of every club a joke for having a plan B?

Come on, its a multi million pound business. Its also the club I love. Fucking right there should always be a contingency plan.

Joke indeed.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:11 am

saulman wrote:I'm refusing to vote here. The poll should be 'Who do you want as our manager?' and Mancinis name should be on the list.

There are a few extremes going on here. I do agree sacking Mancini would be wrong but not " ludicrous in the extreme"

But to follow it with "If one of those shots had actually gone in yesterday, there would be none of this bollocks" is frankly extremely silly.Such a comment could be said about and game for any team.e.g when WBA hit the woodwork twice.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby saulman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 am

Original Dub wrote:

Saulman, I know you arrived late and probably didn't see my numerous other replies to folk who think having a contingency plan is a joke.

You do know City approached Hiddink in the Summer don't you? Are our owners a joke too? Are the owners of every club a joke for having a plan B?

Come on, its a multi million pound business. Its also the club I love. Fucking right there should always be a contingency plan.

Joke indeed.

Hypothetically you can discuss anything. I left the game dissapointed yesterday. Then I spent the rest of the day at the Trafford Centre and haven't seen or heard anything at all from yesterday. I've not been out of bed long and thought I'd log in to see what the general reaction to yesterday was. Frankly, I'm astonished. I wonder if all these new threads and negative vibes are from a vocal minority or whether this is the general feeling throughout the fansbase as a whole.

To see a poll of what manager you'd prefer is quite shocking because the manager I want is Mancini. At the very least until the end of this season, but probably beyond that.

I'm sure the club do have a contingency plan but I suspect that it will only be put in place if it become clear that Mancini will not hit his target. I think it was clear to all that Hughes wouldn't hit 4th last season with the defence leaking goals like they were. Mancini, on the otherhand is performing his task. Yeah, there are a few problems but talk of putting a contingency plan in place, hypothetically or not, is counter productive.

I understand that these forums are for people to air thier views and gripes about the team, as well as to offer support. I'm just worried that the fans as a whole are actually going to slip down that slippery slope of calling for the managers head and once again making ourselves the laughing stock.

We need a siege mentality right now and it's looking more and more like the opposite is happening.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:24 am

saulman wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Joke indeed.

Hypothetically you can discuss anything. I left the game dissapointed yesterday. Then I spent the rest of the day at the Trafford Centre and haven't seen or heard anything at all from yesterday. I've not been out of bed long and thought I'd log in to see what the general reaction to yesterday was. Frankly, I'm astonished. I wonder if all these new threads and negative vibes are from a vocal minority or whether this is the general feeling throughout the fansbase as a whole.

To see a poll of what manager you'd prefer is quite shocking because the manager I want is Mancini. At the very least until the end of this season, but probably beyond that.

I'm sure the club do have a contingency plan but I suspect that it will only be put in place if it become clear that Mancini will not hit his target. I think it was clear to all that Hughes wouldn't hit 4th last season with the defence leaking goals like they were. Mancini, on the otherhand is performing his task. Yeah, there are a few problems but talk of putting a contingency plan in place, hypothetically or not, is counter productive.

I understand that these forums are for people to air thier views and gripes about the team, as well as to offer support. I'm just worried that the fans as a whole are actually going to slip down that slippery slope of calling for the managers head and once again making ourselves the laughing stock.

We need a siege mentality right now and it's looking more and more like the opposite is happening.

Contingency plans are NEVER counter productive mate.

I don't want him sacked now and I don't know how many times I've stated this!!
Original Dub

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 am

xavi6 wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:
xavi6 wrote:Sven

yes!

Should never have sacked him

Out of the particularly boring frying pan and into the particularly boring fire.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby saulman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 am

Original Dub wrote:
saulman wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Joke indeed.

Contingency plans are NEVER counter productive mate.

I don't want him sacked now and I don't know how many times I've stated this!!

Then the answer to the original question is Hiddink. None of the others even come close to being qualified for the job.
That said, even Hiddink may not be able to handle the pressure that this job involves. The only job I imagine has more pressure is the England job, but to come under such scrutiny, week in/week out, the City job is probably harder to handle.

Who knows, maybe nobody can handle it. Even The Special One hasn't taken on such a tough task, building from almost nothing and delivering for such demanding fans whilst under the microscope constantly. That said, Mancini did something similar at Inter and I'm sure if anyone can do it here, it'll be him.

So, Hiddink is the answer to the poll question but I'd be absolutely fuckin gutted if it came to that.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:50 am

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
xavi6 wrote:

yes!

Out of the particularly boring frying pan and into the particularly boring fire.

He took a side worthy of relegation into Europe (admitedly through the Fair Play League), gave the club a confidence we hadnt seen for decades, acheived the derby double and had us top of the league at xmas.

He did not have anything close to the depth of squad we have now, they certainly ran out of steam in the new year, given our current squad I am certain we'd be knocking on the door.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 am

SORTED wrote:Let's not start getting carried away here people.

We just need the Manager to change...not to change the Manager!

Fair comment imo. Spot on.

If the worst came to the worst though, out of that mob I'd only really want Van Gaal as I think Gus has looked like he's coming to the end of it & the rest are jokers.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm

sandman wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:
xavi6 wrote:

yes!

He took a side worthy of relegation into Europe (admitedly through the Fair Play League), gave the club a confidence we hadnt seen for decades, acheived the derby double and had us top of the league at xmas.

He did not have anything close to the depth of squad we have now, they certainly ran out of steam in the new year, given our current squad I am certain we'd be knocking on the door.

Getting into Europe via the fair play league is no achievement whatsoever.

Sven did a superb job of a short term patch job which fortunately got us enough points before Xmas to get away with our alarming form in the new year. By the time May came we were in free fall culminating in the most embarrassing "performance" I have ever seen. His signings have largely been shown to be average at best.

There's no shame in thinking Sven was a good manager, he's a master of seduction and we had our fair share of Ulrika's in the stands, 3 on this thread alone. He got exactly what he wanted out of the job, repaired his reputation a little after the England job, sacked after a year with a pocket full of cash and the smell of Thaksin's daughter on his fingers.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah really shit reputation after England. The following two managers proved just how shit he was with all their success eh?

With the resources messeurs Hughes & Mancini have wasted we'd be doing a lot better than we are now I guarantee you.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:19 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Yeah really shit reputation after England. The following two managers proved just how shit he was with all their success eh?

With the resources messeurs Hughes & Mancini have wasted we'd be doing a lot better than we are now I guarantee you.

I personally thought he did an ok job with England but there's no denying that he took an absolute kicking for his time in charge rightly or wrongly.

You're right though, his reputation wasn't damaged at all by England, I'll nip to Leicester and let him know.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Getting into Europe via the fair play league is no achievement whatsoever.

Are you taking the piss, either you have a short memory or havent been around city long enough to really understand. The season before we were destined for relegation, he got us playing in Europe, the fair play league is no acheivement to us now, but back then it was epic.

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Sven did a superb job of a short term patch job which fortunately got us enough points before Xmas to get away with our alarming form in the new year. By the time May came we were in free fall culminating in the most embarrassing "performance" I have ever seen. His signings have largely been shown to be average at best.

As I said, we had no depth in the squad and the players we had got were quite obviously burnt out. If Bojinov had have worked out then it is scary what could have happened.

A lot of his signings were great considering where we were coming from, we couldnt have signed many if any better players at the time, think how hard it has been since getting turned down by Kaka and Ronaldinho etc...

Sven is a good, successful proven manager and at the time the vast majority of this board were gutted that he was sacked, plus we all knew that it was going to happen before the Boro game.
sandman

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:45 pm

sandman wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:Getting into Europe via the fair play league is no achievement whatsoever.

Are you taking the piss, either you have a short memory or havent been around city long enough to really understand. The season before we were destined for relegation, he got us playing in Europe, the fair play league is no acheivement to us now, but back then it was epic.

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Sven did a superb job of a short term patch job which fortunately got us enough points before Xmas to get away with our alarming form in the new year. By the time May came we were in free fall culminating in the most embarrassing "performance" I have ever seen. His signings have largely been shown to be average at best.

As I said, we had no depth in the squad and the players we had got were quite obviously burnt out. If Bojinov had have worked out then it is scary what could have happened.

A lot of his signings were great considering where we were coming from, we couldnt have signed many if any better players at the time, think how hard it has been since getting turned down by Kaka and Ronaldinho etc...

Sven is a good, successful proven manager and at the time the vast majority of this board were gutted that he was sacked, plus we all knew that it was going to happen before the Boro game.

I've been a season ticket holder for 21 years so I think I've been around the club long enough to know that getting into Europe via the fair play league is not an achievement. Perhaps you aren't too sure how it works so here's a question:

Did we get into Europe via the fair play league by

a) winning the prestigious 'Fair Play World Tournament' beating a whole host of the world's top teams along the way

or

b) by our country being drawn out of a hat and only qualifying because the 4 or 5 teams above us in the fair play table were already in Europe?

Bojinov didn't work out. At all. In any way. There's no way that anyone can possibly know what we would have done if he had played. He's hardly showing himself to be among the top players in the world now he's fit either.

We may possibly have been successful by now if Sven had been given the last 2 years resources, personally think we would be in a similar position to our current one, but we would certainly be watching the same level of sideways/backwards boring possession football as we are currently seeing.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
sandman wrote:

I've been a season ticket holder for 21 years so I think I've been around the club long enough to know that getting into Europe via the fair play league is not an achievement. Perhaps you aren't too sure how it works so here's a question:

Did we get into Europe via the fair play league by

a) winning the prestigious 'Fair Play World Tournament' beating a whole host of the world's top teams along the way

or

b) by our country being drawn out of a hat and only qualifying because the 4 or 5 teams above us in the fair play table were already in Europe?

Bojinov didn't work out. At all. In any way. There's no way that anyone can possibly know what we would have done if he had played. He's hardly showing himself to be among the top players in the world now he's fit either.

We may possibly have been successful by now if Sven had been given the last 2 years resources, personally think we would be in a similar position to our current one, but we would certainly be watching the same level of sideways/backwards boring possession football as we are currently seeing.

Before Sven cam in we were almost guaranteed relegation, he took a terrible squad, added what he could, and actually got us in a position that we could qualify through the back door. I honestly believe that was a massive acheivement, and so did most people on here at the time.

Now we are so far above that situation I am not going to become arrogant enough to belittle what was a great acheivement. sven was a fantastic servant of the club who did well with what he had.

Sven did not have us playing sideways and backwards, he had us winning games through good football, once the players ran out of steam it went tits up, given another transfer window to add depth to his squad (under the new regime) I am fully confident he would have had us in the top 2 by now.
sandman

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 pm

just for the record my contingency plan if OD leaves this forum are to have a huge fuclin wank and jism all over my laptop screen and then go for a smoke -- even though i quit smoking ten years ago.

it's always good to have a contingency plan i think.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 am

DoomMerchant wrote:just for the record my contingency plan if OD leaves this forum are to have a huge fuclin wank and jism all over my laptop screen and then go for a smoke -- even though i quit smoking ten years ago.

it's always good to have a contingency plan i think.

cheers

and I'm gonna show your mrs what a real pumping is.

Purely as a contingency.

Slan.
Original Dub

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am

i'd take any of those names, but i've gone for coyle. would havekept burnley up (easily) and in less than a full season has transformed the style of one of the most industrious, ugly sides to ever play football into a stylish, classy outfit. a truly amazing manager wherever he's been. gets great team spirit because he's likeable and players love to go forward. anyone that gets elmander scoring deserves a medal!!!
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum