What's the deal with Boateng?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What's the deal with Boateng?

Postby Beeks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am

He looked a class act at the start of the season but yesterday he looked nervy as fuck

I'm assuming Bobby brought him in as an attacking fullback but every time he got the ball last night he didn't look up to see who was available in front of him...he just passed backwards time and time again

Definitely looked like a centre-half playing in the wrong position which is essentially what he is

That RB position is Citys achilles heel...we never get it right there
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: What's the deal with Boateng?

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 am

Young,new league,new home,injuries etc etc.

He'll be cool soon enough.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby gaudy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 am

as soon as kolarov came on he wanted to burst up the flanks every chance he got,i want boateng to be like that while not compromising
the defence,think he has the quality to do that but to me seems to be lacking in confidence,i dont no why as hes coming off the back of a great world cup in which he played a few different positions and looked very comfortable in each of them.
any time he makes a tackle that requires effort,it takes him an extra couple of seconds and gingerly gets back to his feet,so is he fully fit or carrying a knock?
gaudy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 am

I dont think you can count the friendlies when hes supposedly looked class, truth is in competitive games hes yet to have a good game and more often than not is our weak link. In saying that hes had an injury, new club surroundings etc and has played out of position the odd time at left back, but he really needs to get up to speed with the game, doesnt get close enough at all and puts in reckless silly challenges when players go by him. Right back has been our Achilles heel maybe give mad zabba a go there till he gets sent off again!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby The Foggy Blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah, he has looked a little shaky at times, but I would still be willing to give him more time to settle in. I can't wait to see Kolorov getting involved every week as well.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby bluej » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:58 am

He wasn't very good going forward, but I suspect he was told not to/didn't have the confidence to. Thought he was solid at the back, put a great challenge on Evra in the first half.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Did better defensively but wrong choice for last night's game. As soon as he went off, we started to look like we may create something as even Zabba looked like Danny Alves going forward compared to Boateng. Kolarov would have been a much better choice as a starter than Boateng & I'm looking forward to seeing him on Saturday.

I rate Boateng though & think he'll come good; very very good. Just too soon to be playing v rags & Arsenal etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mike J » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 am

i think he looks a good player. was a little bit shaky last night. i want to see him get forward alot more. like the friendly against valencia.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am

Posted this in Yaya thread by mistake; I don't know how keenly most of you watched the rags in wide positions last night but although their crossing was almost as shittily poor as ours at times, their ability to free themselves from tight situations on the touchline was 5 classes above us & they retained possession more times than they lost it, from situations where we barely kept possession once, ever. The way they did it, looked like a practiced routine to me rather than purely off the cuff play, as it was a similar move each time. Something we could look at learning from if any of our 25 coaches are on the ball to spot it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:52 am

The deal with Boateng is he's one for the future. Give him time.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

dazby wrote:The deal with Boateng is he's one for the future. Give him time.

That's the thing though, when we bought him people called me a miserable bastard for saying that he isn't ready to be star player for us and is a project at best. Now those same people call Boateng shite.

He didn't look ready when he played for Hamburg and personally I would've preferred that he had stayed there for another year. He has all the tools but will need time and patience to get into that level people expect from him.

Oh, and for me he has always been a centerback who can play o´n the right (and even left) if needed.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Only just came back from injury. He will be world class.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Beeks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Now those same people call Boateng shite.

Who's calling him shite?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Who's calling him shite?

I'll withdraw my comment.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Twobob » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Who's calling him shite?

I'll withdraw my comment.

Misserable bastard

;-)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Twobob » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm

I Agree that I think it is a case of nerves and getting used to the league, I think he suddenly realised that play changes so quick in the premier league and I think this makes him nervous at the moment about commiting too much going forward and not knowing if there's cover for him.

Against WBA, there were plenty of times when he could run into acres of space when thier left back was being dragged in by Silva or Mario, but he didn't exploit it.

Against the Scum I do think that the options for playing a ball forward were minimal as most of our players were still in our own half. Someone not quite sure of themselves or thier teammates would have done what he did and play the simple pass back or square.

But saying that he put in some quality challenges, and did provide a couple of good crosses too - he will get better i'm sure!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 pm

He did fine defensively last night and was clearly under orders not too push forward too often last night.

There were a few times last night when he looked like he wanted to bomb on but then turned round and passed backwards. He still lacks the experience in this league/position to know when to go and when to hold back. He'll be a class player for us, but could easily be a season or two until we start seeing the best of him.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm

gaudy wrote:as soon as kolarov came on he wanted to burst up the flanks every chance he got,i want boateng to be like that while not compromising
the defence,think he has the quality to do that but to me seems to be lacking in confidence,i dont no why as hes coming off the back of a great world cup in which he played a few different positions and looked very comfortable in each of them.
any time he makes a tackle that requires effort,it takes him an extra couple of seconds and gingerly gets back to his feet,so is he fully fit or carrying a knock?

There's a difference between Boateng and Kolarov, though. Kolarov is a proper attacking fullback, while Boateng is a player who is much more defensively minded so he will struggle to attack the flank like Kolarov does. But of course, exactly for this reason, boateng should be more defensively sound than Kolarov, in the long run.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Dubciteh wrote:I dont think you can count the friendlies when hes supposedly looked class, truth is in competitive games hes yet to have a good game and more often than not is our weak link. In saying that hes had an injury, new club surroundings etc and has played out of position the odd time at left back, but he really needs to get up to speed with the game, doesnt get close enough at all and puts in reckless silly challenges when players go by him. Right back has been our Achilles heel maybe give mad zabba a go there till he gets sent off again!

Don't agree with that at all. He was superb at WBA and that was only four days ago.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 pm

dazby wrote:The deal with Boateng is he's one for the future. Give him time.

enough said.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum