Tony Pulis' Idea On Relegating Referees

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tony Pulis' Idea On Relegating Referees

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:52 pm

I reckon it could work. It's certainly time that something was done about the appalling, and often blatantly biased, refereeing we are subjected to on a weekly basis.

[urlnp=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9167551.stm]LINK[/urlnp]
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Tony Pulis' Idea On Relegating Referees

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 pm

King Kev wrote:I reckon it could work. It's certainly time that something was done about the appalling, and often blatantly biased, refereeing we are subjected to on a weekly basis.

[urlnp=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9167551.stm]LINK[/urlnp]

I cant see why this should not be in place for next season, seems perfectly logical to me
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 pm

King Kev wrote:I reckon it could work. It's certainly time that something was done about the appalling, and often blatantly biased, refereeing we are subjected to on a weekly basis.

Clattenburg should of been relegated to the vauxhall conference on that basis.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

I cant see why this should not be in place for next season, seems perfectly logical to me

Its a good shout for a smaller club's manager to even up the influence managers can have over a referee; however only if you believe that referees should be influenced by manager's comments.

However you could drive a coach and horses through this idea as they did on Talkshite this afternoon, its a silly idea
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:00 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Its a good shout for a smaller club's manager to even up the influence managers can have over a referee; however only if you believe that referees should be influenced by manager's comments.

However you could drive a coach and horses through this idea as they did on Talkshite this afternoon, its a silly idea

Just carry on ignoring the problem and doing nowt then eh.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Swales4ever » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Would be more interesting understand what Taggart reckons.... :-)

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Tony Pulis has never had a decent thought in his lump-it-forward-and-get-the-big-guy-on-it life. The irony of him, king of the cloggers, coming out with this is laughable.

Not only is there not a list of Prem referees, but the little bald twunt has failed to explain why the Championship should become a victim of poor refereeing.

Atkinson's miss of Catermole's handball was absolutely shocking, there's no doubt. But refs need to come out and explain themselves. Simply trying to push the poor referees to a lower leauge is a joke of an idea.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Tony Pulis has never had a decent thought in his lump-it-forward-and-get-the-big-guy-on-it life. The irony of him, king of the cloggers, coming out with this is laughable.

Not only is there not a list of Prem referees, but the little bald twunt has failed to explain why the Championship should become a victim of poor refereeing.

Atkinson's miss of Catermole's handball was absolutely shocking, there's no doubt. But refs need to come out and explain themselves. Simply trying to push the poor referees to a lower leauge is a joke of an idea.

Do you think the clubs in the lower leagues should get the best referees? That is more of a joke IMO.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 pm

King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Just carry on ignoring the problem and doing nowt then eh.

Unfortunately, I think that is the only thing that can be done.

I have been watching football since I was 5 years old, and some of my earliest memories were people singing "Who's the bastard in the black" whilst almost foaming at the mouth.

That was 1985, and 25 years later it is no different. Refs get things wrong, always have, always will. Its just that every mistake is magnified 1000% these days by tv.

Only alternative is to have two off field referees sat in different studios at the ground, who press a button "in play" if they need to alert the referee to something he hasn't seen. If only one of them presses, then the ref isn't notified, so the most contentious issues are always dealt with by majority decision. Of course these studio refs would also double up and do the video gig that I would limit to penalty decisions and goal-line incidents.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 pm

American football doesnt have these problems
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:22 pm

King Kev wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Tony Pulis has never had a decent thought in his lump-it-forward-and-get-the-big-guy-on-it life. The irony of him, king of the cloggers, coming out with this is laughable.

Do you think the clubs in the lower leagues should get the best referees? That is more of a joke IMO.

I didn't say lower leauge clubs should get 'the best referees'. The aim should be for a fair standard throughout. Any 'joke' is thinking one competition has more right than another to be referred fairly.

Can you, or anybody else, please point out to me these great refs in the lower leagues? One of my housemates has a st at Vale and another is a regular at Huddersfield and ALL they talk about when they come back is the refs being awful. I'm sure the current points system sees referees duly rewarded for there efforts.
Last edited by LookMumImOnMCF.net on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 pm

johnpb78 wrote:Only alternative is to have two off field referees sat in different studios at the ground, who press a button "in play" if they need to alert the referee to something he hasn't seen. If only one of them presses, then the ref isn't notified, so the most contentious issues are always dealt with by majority decision. Of course these studio refs would also double up and do the video gig that I would limit to penalty decisions and goal-line incidents.
Wow! And you reckon the idea of clubs having a say in who takes charge of their matches is silly!?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:25 pm

King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:Only alternative is to have two off field referees sat in different studios at the ground, who press a button "in play" if they need to alert the referee to something he hasn't seen. If only one of them presses, then the ref isn't notified, so the most contentious issues are always dealt with by majority decision. Of course these studio refs would also double up and do the video gig that I would limit to penalty decisions and goal-line incidents.
Wow! And you reckon the idea of clubs having a say in who takes charge of their matches is silly!?

The technology is there and something similar is already in use in every premier league game in the last 5 or so years
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Perhaps players who are caught trying to cheat refs should be relegated to lower division clubs?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:I didn't say lower leauge clubs should get 'the best referees'. The aim should be for a fair standard throughout. Any 'joke' is thinking one competition has more right than another to be referred fairly.
Surely it makes sense to have the most competent refs in charge of the biggest games? Pulis' idea would give those refs in the Prem an incentive to be fair and consistent and would also benefit the lower leagues because those refs would raise their game in the hope of making it to the big league.

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Can you, or anybody else, please point out to me these great refs in the lower leagues? One of my housemates has a st at Vale and another is a regular at Huddersfield and ALL they talk about when they come back is the refs being awful. I'm sure the current points system sees referees duly rewarded for there efforts.
I don't know their names but there are 2 referees taking charge of Premiership games this season who were promoted from the Championship because they did so well last season.

Rewarding people who do their jobs well and punishing those who don't is not rocket science, it is common sense.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby King Kev » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:32 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Perhaps players who are caught trying to cheat refs should be relegated to lower division clubs?
No, but they may find that they get booked or sent off and suspended.

They will get punished so why shouldn't the refs?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Ok, so here is why it can't work

An average marking system across the season would only work if the refs were in charge of the same number of games, and a fair spread of the games. That currently doesn't happen, as for example a referee new to the PL would not get Weds nights game or a big sunday 4pm top of the table clash.

I think the problem is that a particular manager can get particularly nasty about a referee if a couple of games pass with debateable decisions, or where for that matter the manager is blatently in the wrong. We all know what a vindictive and spiteful cunt baconface is, if he wants to ruin the ref's career by giving him a shit mark every time in the future out of spite. The ref will know this and eventually his behaviour would change to favour that manager's side.

When people say that bias/influence doesn't truly exist, I would refer you to a cracking interview with Graham Poll a little while ago, where he confirmed that referees already have a survival instinct with regards reffing the bigger clubs, as they know that the adverse publicity of awarding a contentious decision against them will count against them, so they often let play on or be more lenient than they may otherwise have been.

Having a marking system would simply lead to managers abusing the system and placing undue influence on the referees, wheras at the moment at least they can be seen as whiter than white and to not have a vested interest.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Shit idea, won't work.
There is already a system in place that promotes referees and punish them. Making it in hands of managers won't really help.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Dameerto » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:38 am

I like the idea in principle - a league for referees which is performance based - not sure I like the idea of managers voting on relegation though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:49 am

it's bollocks imo.

Ref gives penno against you - fair or not - mark him down.

Ref waves away penno in yr favour - fair or not - thumbs up.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum