Vieira: Johnson dedication deserves success

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Vieira: Johnson dedication deserves success

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:19 pm

While taking the attitude of lets wait and see, these are interesting words by PV and i dont think he would say so unless there was some respect for MJ at some level. Good encouragement from Patrick, you get the idea he will help and pass on as much as he can while remaining in total competition.

MEN linky

Patrick Vieira has backed Michael Johnson to bounce back from his two-year injury nightmare at Manchester City.

But the veteran Blues midfielder has also warned the youngster that he doesn’t intend stepping aside in the battle for midfield places.

Johnson is expected to return to full training this week – after a toe injury extended a long, hard rehabilitation from the cruciate ligament damage he suffered last season.

Vieira says that Johnson, who alarmed City fans by looking overweight in the summer of 2009, is now the hardest-working player at the club.

And he feels that dedication will pay off – and Johnson will soon be challenging for a place in the City team, and even re-kindling thoughts of an England future.

“I have been at the club and seen him working every day, and when someone works that hard, I am sure he will be successful,” said Vieira.

“I hope for him, for City and English football that he does get back to his best.

“He is a really good player – a talented English player – and it’s good for English football. The future looks bright for him. His determination will bring him back to his best. He is working harder than anyone else, and he is still young so he has time to come back.”

Johnson’s recent history has been an interminable round of injury, setback and further injury. More heads were being shaken last week when an expected return to contact training was delayed as a precaution.

It is hoped he will make his comeback for the elite development squad later this month.

Addition

There now appears to be light at the end of the tunnel, and Johnson would be a welcome addition to a central midfield are which has lacked dynamism at times this season.

Not that Vieira intends to be shunted aside in the fight for a place. The 34-year-old has mainly featured in Europa League and Carling Cup games this season, and last month hinted that he may hang up his boots at the end of the season.

That had Arsenal on alert, as Arsene Wenger fancies taking the Gunners great on to his coaching staff – while Roberto Mancini would also like to retain Vieira’s experience and expertise.

But Vieira now says he is keeping his options open, and after suffering a few injury problems towards the end of his Inter Milan career, and at the beginning of his move to Eastlands, adds he is now feeling in great condition.

Vieira is expected to start in Thursday night’s Europa League clash with Lech Poznan in Poland, with Nigel de Jong still missing with a hamstring injury.

But Vieira remains positive about the future and is hell-bent on reclaiming his place, despite intense competition from de Jong and Yaya Toure.

The World Cup winner was brought in during the January transfer window as much for the authority and know-how he would bring to the club as the playing qualities he would bring to the squad.

And he is one of the anchors City will look to as a whirlwind of criticism blows through the club, with the Frenchman a constant supporter of Mancini’s rotation policy, even though he has been a victim of it more than most.

“My only focus at the moment is to help City to win silverware, to bring my experience and do what I can do on the pitch,” said Vieira.

“I would like to play more because I feel really good, but I know selection is really difficult and after that we will see what can happen. But the door is open for everything.

“As a player it is important to fix yourself a target and my personal target is to play in as many games as I can.

“I am determined and I’m working hard every day to show the manager that he can come to me whenever he needs me.”
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Vieira: Johnson dedication deserves success

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Well if PV makes a public statement like that about the work MJ is putting in - then for me that counts far more than all the rumours you hear about him just being some kind of lout
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby kinkylola » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

i'm confused because slim hasn't put down mj and made a bellers mention yet ... odd.

Anyway, I'm very glad for him and I hope he keeps putting in the work and staying on track. I hope he can comeback ... not just for city but for his own achievement, coming back from injuries like that is never easy. good for him.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:08 pm

kinkylola wrote:i'm confused because slim hasn't put down mj and made a bellers mention yet ... odd.

Anyway, I'm very glad for him and I hope he keeps putting in the work and staying on track. I hope he can comeback ... not just for city but for his own achievement, coming back from injuries like that is never easy. good for him.

Seems you took care of it for me.

After the shit of the last few days and slew of awful stories I thought you might be able to enjoy a positive story without the need to make snide comments, guess that was too much to hope for. God knows what you'd be like it we actually won the league, I assume your first comment would be how OD was wrong about Mancini, or if Dzeko signs in January and scores a goal a game and you can comment on how dazby was wrong about him not being worth the money or if Micah has a dramatic rise in form, you can slate IBH for not backing him. Must be awful to be you.

I pity you.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

no, i was just having a bit of fun mate ... you seem a little high strung though.

I'd be in dreamland if we won the league, who's OD?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum