Darren Bent

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Darren Bent

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:If we're talking about taking wild punts at various no-marks, I like the look of that character West Brom have signed on his early performances. Could be a flash in the pan but when fit he's looked the dog's dodahs so far.

Odemwingie (sic?)? liked the banner the wba fans made to answer the russian morons. looks a good little player too.

Yeah that's him. He's looked absolutely shit hot when I've seen him so far but it could of course just be a Tony Adcock style burst of energy before a similar slump into obscurity. Looks quick & talented so far though.

Darren Bent has scored 79 Premier League goals in 176 appearances. I don't think he'd be a wild punt. You sign him, he gets you goals. The only question is whether or not he's a good enough all-round footballer for teams with title aspirations.

I'd have him if he'd be happy to be rotated.

Imo he's a bottler & at City, would be under more prssure than just about anywhere else, therefore I think he's a fairly wild punt because he will let us down just exactly at the very moment when we need him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby patrickblue » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:00 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'd like him...but you'll probably be slated for suggesting it on here...not 'high profile' enough

I think those days are over and a bit of realism is creeping in (mainly due to high profile signings not performing).
I'd have Bent any day of the week.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Im 100% with Ted on Bent, not what we require and wouldnt cut it here, hes great for sunderland where they soak up pressure adn hit teams on the break. For the type of money we would have to pay i want to see him do it on the big stage 1st.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:If we're talking about taking wild punts at various no-marks, I like the look of that character West Brom have signed on his early performances. Could be a flash in the pan but when fit he's looked the dog's dodahs so far.

Odemwingie (sic?)? liked the banner the wba fans made to answer the russian morons. looks a good little player too.

Yeah that's him. He's looked absolutely shit hot when I've seen him so far but it could of course just be a Tony Adcock style burst of energy before a similar slump into obscurity. Looks quick & talented so far though.

Darren Bent has scored 79 Premier League goals in 176 appearances. I don't think he'd be a wild punt. You sign him, he gets you goals. The only question is whether or not he's a good enough all-round footballer for teams with title aspirations.

I'd have him if he'd be happy to be rotated.

Imo he's a bottler & at City, would be under more prssure than just about anywhere else, therefore I think he's a fairly wild punt because he will let us down just exactly at the very moment when we need him.

I wish he'd have bottled that 90th minute penalty (which he also won) in the game a few weeks ago. Bent for me is a finisher and a chance-taker. In a team that creates more chance....

I agree with you in the sense that he's not a no-brainer of a transfer target, but I disagree in that I think he would have a positive impact. Case in point: think back to the first half of the same Sunderland/City game earlier this season and the open goal that Tevez missed. For a more recent example, how about Balo's miss early on Saturday?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Alan D » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
paulh wrote:apologies for shit grammer above head full of flu

Hmm, that's no excuse boy!

I just don't trust Bent personally. I think he's the absolute opposite to a big game player; he's more likely to miss a pen or an open net in a big, crucial, game than your average centre half but he'll get a hat trick of superb 'sniffer's' goals the week after when it no longer matters. He also contributes nothing other than when he scores.

Allow me to pull a stat out of my hat. He scored against each of last season's 'Top Four' Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, twice vs Tottenham and also another against Liverpool - seven goals. Seven! Ain't too shabby at all. So Darren Bent's contribution in big games? Six more points than what Sunderland would have got without him and thats against the hardest teams in the country.

Bent was treated shockingly by Tottenham, yeah he misses a few chances, but natural goalscorers are a rare breed - he might collapse under the pressure but how can he rise to the occasion when he hasn't given the platform to fight at the top end of the league. His lack of form at Spurs still ranks fairly highly considering he was usually third down the pecking order at best.
Last edited by Alan D on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan D
De Jong's Tackle

Postby paulh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

and added bonus hes english in regards to quota rule
paulh
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: gareth barry

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Alan D wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I just don't trust Bent personally. I think he's the absolute opposite to a big game player; he's more likely to miss a pen or an open net in a big, crucial, game than your average centre half but he'll get a hat trick of superb 'sniffer's' goals the week after when it no longer matters. He also contributes nothing other than when he scores.

Allow me to pull a stat out of my hat. He scored against each of last season's 'Top Four' Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, twice vs Tottenham and also another against Liverpool - seven goals. Seven! Ain't too shabby at all. So Darren Bent's contribution in big games? Six more points than what Sunderland would have got without him and thats against the hardest teams in the country.

Bent was treated shockingly by Tottenham, yeah he misses a few chances, but natural goalscorers are a rare breed - he might collapse under the pressure but how can he rise to the occasion when he hasn't given the platform to fight at the top end of the league. His lack of form at Spurs still ranks fairly highly considering he was usually third down the pecking order at best.

Well stated pal, my views exactly. He was used as a pawn in the DoF/manager struggle at Spurs and the last straw was Redknapp giving him a right verbal on national TV because of 1 header. He treated him like twat that last season and if I'm not mistaken, he was their top scorer in spite of the shit he got and the amount of times he was made scapegoat. Strangely, I liked 'Arry up until that point, afterwards I realised he was just another coward using a player to save his own neck.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby HeyMark » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Play him and he'll score goals he's always done that.

I think money clouds the judgement of some city fans, if its not a glamorous name them they're automatically written off as not being good enough for city
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dameerto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:42 pm

As a one trick pony he'd do the job, we could carry him with the formations we seem to be using most regularly this season. He wouldn't get a lookin unless Tevez needed to be rested though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby bluej » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 pm

To be honest if we had the choice of him or RSC/Jo on the bench I know which one I would go with.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Thai » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Sorry not for me - a quarter of his goals come from the penalty spot anyway.
A Blue Forever
Thai
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Alan D wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Well stated pal, my views exactly. He was used as a pawn in the DoF/manager struggle at Spurs and the last straw was Redknapp giving him a right verbal on national TV because of 1 header. He treated him like twat that last season and if I'm not mistaken, he was their top scorer in spite of the shit he got and the amount of times he was made scapegoat. Strangely, I liked 'Arry up until that point, afterwards I realised he was just another coward using a player to save his own neck.

Harry's a wanker whatever happens. Total shithouse.

Quoting scoring stats doesn't work for me in these circumstances though. Imo the 'big games' v those teams are when he plays against them for someone like Spurs & they have an expected chance of winning not for Sunderland to pull off a shock. I know for sure he's also missed sitters v those kind of teams when he's had the opportunity to win games because I can remember pulling my hair out on more than one occasion. It's ok scoring v rags at OT but if you miss 3 more tap ins in the same game that someone's Granny would score, there's very little point. Didn't he miss 2 pens in one game ( v Spurs?) last season? If it was v Spurs then the twat may have already cost us the Champion's league! Bent's like Richrd Dunne; he's turned in some great moments v teams he's expected to lose against or when the situation is hopeless. The problem with Dunne & players like Bent, is that when you have it all to win & are expected to give it a good go, (rather than when you have nothing to lose) they go to fucking pieces & lose you the game. They're professional underdogs. Bottlers. Comfort zone merchants. Where thay are now, mid table; that's where they belong imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Zezou » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 am

would love bent here but dont think he'd be a regular. Because of what happened at spurs I wouldnt be suprised if he turned us down for that reason...

plus sunderland would demand at least 20 million so cant see it happening tbh
Zezou
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 am

It's a yes from me.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Michael Brookes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 am

Si
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby bluelogic32 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 am

bluej wrote:To be honest if we had the choice of him or RSC/Jo on the bench I know which one I would go with.

agreed
My logic always stays blue, i live in my dreams cause i know it always come's true

Spread The Logic
bluelogic32
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Pablo & David

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum