De Jong

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

De Jong

Postby mcfctm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I know a lot of people say he's a one trick pony and he isn't required against the "lesser" teams but does anyone else think his role in our team is seriously underrated? I haven't watched today's game so can't comment personally but I've read a lot of comments about how poor the midfield were and think maybe we missed Nige today.

For me he's like our Makelele and keeps the midfield organised and is a link between the back four and our midfield. I was one of the few who at the start of the season who said we only need him when we play the "top 6/7 teams" but as the season's progressed I've started to realise that he is an essential part of our team and is needed week in week out. Makelele, for example, was a massive success for Chelsea under Mourinho and De Jong is our version of him.

What does everyone else think about his role in the team and to those who saw the game today, was he missed?
mcfctm
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Re: De Jong

Postby King Kev » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Wolves controlled the middle of the park today, I very much doubt they would have done had Nige been playing.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bluej » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Missed him very badly, I slated Toure for their equaliser and Nooly correctly pointed out that if De Jong was playing it would have been him there to stop the shot.

Come back soon NDJ.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Love the guy and think he his an important cog in our team and IMO just as important as Tevez. Not just his ability to tackle but the guy is a winner and drives the team on.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Kladze » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Missed him badly - Wolves' equaliser simply would not have happened had he been playing.

Even so ..........
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Grob » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:36 am

He would have helped for sure but the main issue yesterdy was the same as it was at Spurs, we were exposed in the wide areas. When we are under attack, often the 3 central midfield players end up playing within about 5 yards of each other for some unexplained reason.

Of course the inept ones tactical buffoonary didnt help matters but the fundermental issue was the above.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Blue Toy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 am

I don't understand why Vinnie wasn't moved to the NDJ role - after all, that was the position we originally signed him for and played him in. It's not like he failed miserably there either. I'd have had him in there and put Lescott in at Centre Half.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby mcfctm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 am

Blue Toy wrote:I don't understand why Vinnie wasn't moved to the NDJ role - after all, that was the position we originally signed him for and played him in. It's not like he failed miserably there either. I'd have had him in there and put Lescott in at Centre Half.

I agree that someone should have replaced De Jong like for like and Kompany isn't a bad shout. Doesn't Barry play that role for England though?
mcfctm

Postby Dameerto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:47 am

I was hoping before the game that Milner and Barry would stay back as cover for each fullback as well as the back four collectively, our formations tend to be narrow and teams playing wide against us with half decent wingers basically get a free pass to run at our fullbacks especially without Nige in the side laying down the law.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ayrshireblue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am

When using a 4-3-3 system the two forward players, Balotelli and Silva yesterday, should be coming back to cover the full back area as soon as we lose possesion. This gives you a 4-5-1 with three central midfielders and you should regain the ball and switch back to 4-3-3. Bellamy did this last year, Tevez does it when asked, Silva sometimes does it but Balotelli didn't yesterday and that's why Boateng was exposed so much. Boateng being out of position is another argument altogether. Pick the system and then the best player for each position not the best players and try to make a system out of it.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm

If we're relying on Balotelli for defensive duties we've got a shitload of pain coming.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Without a doubt we missed him badly, he's the best in the game at the moment in his position in my opinion.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby mcfctm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:If we're relying on Balotelli for defensive duties we've got a shitload of pain coming.

That's what I don't understand about yesterday. We were essentially relying on mario and silva to help micah when possible and that's not where you want to be seeing them two. Helping out the full back is not where they are effective.
mcfctm

Postby shawzy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Love the guy and think he his an important cog in our team and IMO just as important as Tevez. Not just his ability to tackle but the guy is a winner and drives the team on.

I echo this.Nige and Tevez imo are the core of the team.Badly missed yest, but we did have enough ammo on the pitch to get a win and still failed on an epic scale.
Sort out your plan b Bobby.We cant rely on these 2 lads all the time.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:01 pm

Yes we missed Nige, BUT if we cant play effectively without him we are in DEEP SHIT.

I believe the above so much, that i would force the team to play without deJong until they can cope and suffer whatever results we get as the cost of learning.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:02 pm

He makes our back four look competent, fuck all the tackling and breaking up play, you never get to see how fucking woeful we are at the back until he isn't there.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:49 pm

last season de jong frustrated me.
although he hasn't done much that its noticable, he has changed his game a little this season and now brings a whole lot more to a game than a tackle and a backwards pass.
get back soon nige, we fucking need ya.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Take Mascherano away from Liverpool, they are far more exposed.
Take Fletcher from United, same thing.
De Jong is massively important to the team, particularly as our whole focus is defensive.

I'm glad he didn't fuck off back from where he came form.
Original Dub

Postby bluej » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Original Dub wrote:I'm glad he didn't fuck off back from where he came form.

bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:If we're relying on Balotelli for defensive duties we've got a shitload of pain coming.

Don't forget Mario has never played yet in a defensive role even if there's always a first time in a life and so ...
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum