Yaya vs. Milner vs. Kompany

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Yaya vs. Milner

Postby Colin the King » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 am

I've been a little disappointed with both of them so far this season. We've been very good overall results wise with some top performances, but largely have Kompany, Touré and de Jong defensively and Tevez, Silva and Johnson going forward to thank for that. Everyone else has been either decent or disappointing.

Milner never stops running and that's admirable, and I certainly think we benefit from his workrate but in terms of quality there's not been a whole lot. I was hugely in favour of him signing but expected him to play centrally, in a midfield three. I still stand by that because he's a better option than Barry, surely. As a central midfielder he can do the tackling, tracking opponents, winning the ball and spreading it around that he did so well at Villa but wide left, he's taking up a creative position when that's not his strong point.

Touré has been the polar opposite- a lot of class and composure on the ball with little hard graft to back it up. That might just be the nature of his game but we suffer for it against a side that moves the ball quickly and presses all over the pitch. I think to assess his season so far there'd be a lot of 6s or 7s and an 8- nothing truly dreadful but nothing out of this world either.

I think with Milner in the middle doing Yaya's job, Yaya doing Barry's job, Barry on the bench and de Jong doing what he's been doing we'll look a lot better. Then it's between Balotelli and Johnson for Milner's spot on the left. Maybe.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Thai » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:25 am

Colin the King wrote:I think with Milner in the middle doing Yaya's job, Yaya doing Barry's job, Barry on the bench and de Jong doing what he's been doing we'll look a lot better. Then it's between Balotelli and Johnson for Milner's spot on the left. Maybe.

That sounds good to me mate - couldn't agree more.
A Blue Forever
Thai
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 am

King Kev wrote:I reckon Milner (won fuck all) should show some respect to Yaya (won La Liga twice, and Champions League amongst others) and be thankful he is allowed to play in the same team as him.

Ah, the classic mune argument. It runs thusly:

"What the fuck do you know about football? What have City ever won?"
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:33 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I seen the incident and noticed Milner was pointing to Yaya's positioning, looking like he was talking about his covering play and how Milner had to come across from the left wing to get the ball away.

Yaya looks out of sorts and continually looks knackered and slow after the 1st 30 mins, which is understandable for such a big lad having to help Carlos up-front as well as cover the defence; he's just not used to it.

Yaya appears to be carrying an injury.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby dazby » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

Yaya is class. Superjaw makes mcpointalot look classy.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm

dazby wrote:Yaya is class. Superjaw makes mcpointalot look classy.

Could you tell me what you are basing that opinion on as the stats...

Assists (league)
Milner: 4
Tévez: 3
Silva: 1
A. Johnson: 1
Yaya Touré: 1

...currently show Milner as far more effective.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:

Assists (league)

Heard it mentioned somewhere that he has created more goalscoring chances this season than anyone else in the league as well.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Colin the King wrote:I've been a little disappointed with both of them so far this season. We've been very good overall results wise with some top performances, but largely have Kompany, Touré and de Jong defensively and Tevez, Silva and Johnson going forward to thank for that. Everyone else has been either decent or disappointing.

Milner never stops running and that's admirable, and I certainly think we benefit from his workrate but in terms of quality there's not been a whole lot. I was hugely in favour of him signing but expected him to play centrally, in a midfield three. I still stand by that because he's a better option than Barry, surely. As a central midfielder he can do the tackling, tracking opponents, winning the ball and spreading it around that he did so well at Villa but wide left, he's taking up a creative position when that's not his strong point.

Touré has been the polar opposite- a lot of class and composure on the ball with little hard graft to back it up. That might just be the nature of his game but we suffer for it against a side that moves the ball quickly and presses all over the pitch. I think to assess his season so far there'd be a lot of 6s or 7s and an 8- nothing truly dreadful but nothing out of this world either.

I think with Milner in the middle doing Yaya's job, Yaya doing Barry's job, Barry on the bench and de Jong doing what he's been doing we'll look a lot better. Then it's between Balotelli and Johnson for Milner's spot on the left. Maybe.

In general it is still too early to say what either of them are going to be like ultimately. One aspect of that is that Mancini hasn't had the priviledge yet of fielding who he wants where.. and the dynamic that comes with that... and then the shake out of who fits best and performs with who and in what position over time.
You could argue that you will never get the perfect opportunity in football.. but i feel that Mancini hasn't had chance to get even close. Now what that means for Milner im not sure, did Bobby buy him to sit out on the left? Notionally maybe.. or maybe that he is the kind of player that could just switch into the center with SIlva, AJ or Balotelli taking a spell on the left?
Milner played a sweet pass to set Micah on goal from a deepish right position.. sent Silva into the area later on from out on the right wing and was part of build up play in the center all match. I would suggest that is what Mancini is looking for in general more than anything else.
Yaya as i say needs time to adapt but having watched how he played with Barca would suggest he is better suited to a deeper position initially and moving into the thick of it further forward depending on the team we are playing, but i will reserve judgment on that.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby King Kev » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:

Assists (league)

Heard it mentioned somewhere that he has created more goalscoring chances this season than anyone else in the league as well.

He's only created 3 in the league mate, Nani, Brunt, Crouch, Drogba, Etherington, Arshavin and Varney have all created more.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

King Kev wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:

Assists (league)

He's only created 3 in the league mate, Nani, Brunt, Crouch, Drogba, Etherington, Arshavin have all created more.

Wasn't full on assists that was mentioned, just creating a goal scoring chance regardless of whether it is scored or not.

Having said that, can't remember where I heard it mentioned or even if I heard it right and I can't find any stats to back it up. Might have even dreamt it. Fairly pointless post really.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby HeyMark » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I think milners main problem atm is he is trying to play like a £20+million midfield player instead of doing the things that made him into a £20+million midfield player.

He just needs to get back to basics.
HeyMark

Postby ronk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Wasn't full on assists that was mentioned, just creating a goal scoring chance regardless of whether it is scored or not.

Having said that, can't remember where I heard it mentioned or even if I heard it right and I can't find any stats to back it up. Might have even dreamt it. Fairly pointless post really.

It was commentary during Arsenal match, just they were talking about Arshavin.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Re: Yaya vs. Milner vs. Kompany

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm

According to GMR Yaya pushing and shoving Kompany today. Strange lad this Yaya!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:18 pm

seriously?! wtf?! are they all coked up?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby avoidconfusion » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:22 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:According to GMR Yaya pushing and shoving Kompany today. Strange lad this Yaya!

Didn't see any of that!
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:According to GMR Yaya pushing and shoving Kompany today. Strange lad this Yaya!

This week Ibrahimovic had a boxe match with his teammate Onyewu during a training session, don't know why it started but it would have been fun to watch as both are quite big lads. Some big name players are just like that, they think they are better than the others and will act that way.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:59 am

On Milner. he has played nearly every game and i think while obviously trying hard and not exactly in his best position he has done ok but perhaps not up to his basic standard. I was thinking that it was good that he got a solid run of games to get the sense of his team mates and sitting one out like yesterday will have done him a lot of good, both motivationally and reflecting on what he does in any given situation by observing the others. I expect him to settle down a bit more now and we will get a bit more from him.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum