Kompany - Lescott Partnership

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kompany - Lescott Partnership

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 am

Back to my preferred pairing yesterday. I know Kolo has been top this season so if next week its back to him and vinny I won't complain, but I reckon these two compliment each other really well, and last season were starting to look the tits. Lescott has looked pretty bobbins this season at left back, but its easy to see that isn't his position at all, he's a centre back, and a fucking good one at that.
Anyway, as I said, should Kolo come back I won't complain, but I'd love to see bob give this pairing a go for a few weeks, as I feel they are potentially better than Kolo and Vinny.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Re: Kompany - Lescott Partnership

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 am

Thourght Lescott was shaky tbh yesterday. Definitely think Toure should be reinstated when he is back, been brilliant this season so far.
Richard
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby King Kev » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 am

Lescott is pulled out of position too much when he plays at CB.

Kolo would be my choice of partner for Vinnie.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:Back to my preferred pairing yesterday. I know Kolo has been top this season so if next week its back to him and vinny I won't complain, but I reckon these two compliment each other really well, and last season were starting to look the tits. Lescott has looked pretty bobbins this season at left back, but its easy to see that isn't his position at all, he's a centre back, and a fucking good one at that.
Anyway, as I said, should Kolo come back I won't complain, but I'd love to see bob give this pairing a go for a few weeks, as I feel they are potentially better than Kolo and Vinny.

I agree that last year they were starting to look very good.It's also not fair to judge on just one match but yesterday they were shaky at times and the long ball caused too much trouble.If fit I certainly expect Kolo back.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 am

What the hell was Lescott thinking when he left DJ Campbell free in the centre and come across to try and block a shot he was never going to be able to block and Vinnie was there anyway. Didnt look the best to me yesterday but he hasnt played much football at centre back so cant expect him to be completely faultless. Prefer Kolo though for the time being
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 13021J » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am

Lescott was indeed shaky yesterday. Just doesn't fill me with confidence having said that I prefer him to Bridge at LB.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby moomey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:19 am

Lescott's lack of pace was clearly evident today - Vinny didn't know whether to push forward or drop deep leading to disjointed defending. Overall we were ten yards too deep throughout the game because of this leading to the room in midfield which Blackpool exploited. We need Kolo back with his pace asap. Also Bridge was extremely short of what we need at full back - Zab would have been a much better option yesterday.
moomey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby dick dastardley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:21 am

would much rather see lescott at left back in front of bridge, bridge scares me to death when hes playing!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfctm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 am

Lees Alter Ego wrote:What the hell was Lescott thinking when he left DJ Campbell free in the centre and come across to try and block a shot he was never going to be able to block and Vinnie was there anyway. Didnt look the best to me yesterday but he hasnt played much football at centre back so cant expect him to be completely faultless. Prefer Kolo though for the time being

Yeah I couldn't understand this at all! Against a better side that mistake would have been costly. I don't think it was his lack of game time at centre half that was the reason for it as he has played a handful games at left back and you don't forget how to play centre half over night.
mcfctm
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Dameerto » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:50 am

mcfctm wrote:
Lees Alter Ego wrote:What the hell was Lescott thinking when he left DJ Campbell free in the centre and come across to try and block a shot he was never going to be able to block and Vinnie was there anyway. Didnt look the best to me yesterday but he hasnt played much football at centre back so cant expect him to be completely faultless. Prefer Kolo though for the time being

Yeah I couldn't understand this at all! Against a better side that mistake would have been costly. I don't think it was his lack of game time at centre half that was the reason for it as he has played a handful games at left back and you don't forget how to play centre half over night.

That should have been a goal against us so thank goodness he shot wide, I was scratching my head too when he decided to double-team whoever it was near Vinnie's post
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:Back to my preferred pairing yesterday. I know Kolo has been top this season so if next week its back to him and vinny I won't complain, but I reckon these two compliment each other really well, and last season were starting to look the tits. Lescott has looked pretty bobbins this season at left back, but its easy to see that isn't his position at all, he's a centre back, and a fucking good one at that.

I know numbers don't say everything but we conceded three goals before yesterday with Tourè-Kompany as CBs, and another two in one game with the Lescott-Kompany partnership...
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 am

Lescott went walkies getting drawn way away from his man leading to the DJ Campbell sitter - watch it again and Lescott has no need to be pulled away from the centre.

Kompany and Toue are our best pairing, without a doubt, with Lescott as cover for centre half and left-back.

Once thing that does bug me about Joleon is that he could never stop scoring for Eveton and yet seems to disappear for us in the oppositions box at set pieces. A goal or two with his nut would come in handy once in a while.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 am

Their partnership last season was the nuts. However, yesterday Lescott looked very rusty and was out of position on numerous occassions. I don't think having Kolo in their would have made a difference though. Blackpool attack with pace and numbers. They get plenty of men in the box which is almost considered revolutionary this season.

Any CB pairing would have struggled yesterday with both Bridge and Boateng letting Blackpool cross for fun.

In the first half I was disappointed with Boateng's contribution. He played the touchline nearest the away fans and I was close to the pitch so got a great view of him very close up. Apart from being taken aback from the sheer size of him the element that stuck out more than most was the space he'd give the winger - never once trying to even stop the cross into the box.

The worrying thing about this is that he did the same thing throughout the World Cup for Germany. I put it down to him being on the left side but thinking it's not that and it's his style to defend the box, not allowing the player into it but is happy to let free crosses come in from out wide.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Martinez » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 am

Kolo is normally the one to drop when he and Vinnie plays, it felt like both Vinnie's and Lescott's natural instinct was to push up yesterday which sometimes cost them half a second of reaction just to check what the other was doing.

When it comes to the back four, the most important thing imo is consistency. Bob needs to decide who are his favoured 3 next to Vinnie and then change as little as possible. Personally, I think Zab's been great at left back and I don't quite understand why he opted to change right now. I understand it's preferrable to have a left footed left back, but Bridge really looked uncomfortable to me, would have been better to try him against Poznan.
Martinez
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 am

I didn't rate either yesterday but I think they were under tremendous pressure being pulled out of position to cover for Bridge & particularly Boateng who was largely useless defensively.

Too slow as a pairing imo though. Maybe suited to the Stokes etc but not smaller quick players.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wooders » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:06 pm

for one of the blackpool goals they were both trying to tackle the same man rather than sharing the marking - I love lescott but I think Toure and Vinnie is the way forward

We missed the toure's yesterday
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm with Bingo on this one. My first choice pairing would be Lescott and Kompany. However Toure has stepped up a gear this season after looking weak for a large part of last season and so they probably deserve to carry on. Bridge was awful yesterday and I say that as somebody who rates him and thinks he gets an unecessarily hard time from Blues in general. Maybe the slightly more spirited line up contributed to the defence looking less strong yesterday.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Well looks like Kolo might be missing for a wee while. Get Jolene playing with Vinnie on Thursday so they are well up to speed for the important visit of The Arse next weekend. I trust that they'll be fine together.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:30 pm

dick dastardley wrote:would much rather see lescott at left back in front of bridge, bridge scares me to death when hes playing!!!

I wouldnt mate - Bridges bombing run yesterday directly contributed to Tevezes goal.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Colin the King » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:44 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
dick dastardley wrote:would much rather see lescott at left back in front of bridge, bridge scares me to death when hes playing!!!

I wouldnt mate - Bridges bombing run yesterday directly contributed to Tevezes goal.

True but does he not make you nervous as fuck when a winger's running at him?

I like Lescott and he and Kompany definitely had a good partnership at one stage last season but the form Touré's in, he has to come back into the side next to Kompany when he's fit. They compliment each other so well.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum