City vs Blackpool - Player Ratings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City vs Blackpool - Player Ratings

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am

I've just had a re-watch of 45 minutes of highlights of the games yesterday and can't see any player rating thread so I thought I'd do one

Hart 7 - Thought Joe had a pretty good game, made himself big when he needed to and was pretty calm. Don't think he could have done much about either goal.

Boateng 6 - Some nice supporting play up the flanks but still looked rusty and pulled out of position a couple of times.

Kompany 6.5 - Not a bad game but I thought he didn't look quite as calm and unflustered against Marlon and DJ as he has against previous opponents.

Lescott 5 - Not a great game at all, dragged terribly out of position several times and him leaving his man and following the ball out wide in the first half should have seen us one behind quite early on.

Bridge 7 - Considering how long he's been out I was impressed with Wayne, it was a great surging run from him that led to Tevez's goal

Johnson 6 - An OK game and some good stuff but not really as sharp as he can be. Thought he could have followed in on Milner's shot of the bar and got something out of it.

De Jong 7 - Considering the shit that has been thrown at him he had a good game, obvious that he was treading carefully and that did probably assist Blackpool in controlling midfield first half but he was quietly effective. Great ball lofted over the top for Carlos to run onto first half.

Barry 6 - Another factor in us being somewhat overrun in midfield was his ok but not amazing performance. His lack of mobility/pace isn't such an issue with Yaya loping around and Nigel snapping at the opposition but take away those two factors and it was a bit more of an issue.

Milner 7.5 - Thought he had a really good game, some great interplay with Tevez and Silva, some good use of the ball and he was unlucky with the shot off the bar. Encouraging stuff.

Adebayor 6 - Not as bad as people have said IMO. Did actually work for the team and wanted the ball, just that nothing came off for him. That was not helped by his inability to stay onside and, yesterday, some terrible control. Cannot understand how both he and Carlos failed to bury that chance that was headed on to them both in the six yard box first half. He and Carlos look all too often like two strangers. I like Adebayor and I am happy to be patient but if the majority start moaning and groaning he will give us nothing and we will be forced to cut our losses.

Tevez 9 - Terrific. He could have conceivably had a couple more yesterday. I always rated him but he has really blossomed at City in his role as The Man. His tenacity and strength beggar belief but allied to that is pure quality. Thank god we are not even remotely a club that would ever need to sell him when performing like this.

subs

Richards 6.5 - Thought Micah looked good today, he looks like he is going to cope with the Boateng challenge by raising his game, strong and he didn't give me any "Micah Moments" yesterday

Grandpa Patrick 6.5 - Actually, he was pretty tasty when he came on. Some lovely simple use of the ball and his body to compensate for his stanna stairlift-esque lack of pace. Shored things up perfectly adequately

Silva 9 - Another turbo midget.....strong little wiry determined bugger isn't he. He was top top class from the moment he came on. Wonderful movement across their back line. Not dropping hugely deep (which can be a criticism of both Carlos and Adebayor) but pulling defenders and creating space with really clever running. He was an absolute delight to watch. If he gets better and features more and influences games like that on a consistent basis....well....Robinho will be long gone and forgotten

Mancini 7 - Strange decision to change formation completely and it looked uncomfortable. However, very good substitutions and alteration of our shape paid dividends. Didn't do too much wrong and although not the most convincing victory in some ways it is 3 points and we only look likely to get better.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: City vs Blackpool - Player Ratings

Postby 13021J » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:19 am

Agree strongly with all points except Bridge who I thought was awful. I know he is rusty but passing was bad, got skinned a few times and gave silly free kick for their equaliser. Never looks like winning a 50/50 and is a liability in the air. I would play JL there until Kolorov is back with The Boat at CB.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 am

I thought Milner had a decent game, too, from what I saw, but the other fans in the pub with me thought he played terribly.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby aristation » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 am

I agree Vince did not look as solid but much of this was down to lescott and Boateng and the need to cover them when they were pulled out of position. Vince is still the best CB I've seen in a while
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby bluej » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 am

Agree with the criticism of Bridge, he looked well off the pace. I think that both the centre backs were having to do more than their fair share, Lescott was constantly having to back Bridge up.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mike J » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 am

i also thought bridge was shocking. milner was covering him more than he should of been imo.

also thought AJ was very very poor. but then we didint try and get him on the ball enough.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 am

I started thinking about this when I woke up. ( sad)
Agree re Joe 7 looks confident and I think it was key that he got into that guys face to help him miss the gilt edged chance.
Boateng 6 I am a tad worried about. I thought he was too easily skinned on more than one ocassion and his right wing play was very limited.
Bridge 6 also beaten to easily to allow crosses in and I thought if anyone was at fault for the first goal it was him as he was placed in front of the attacker and just didnt move.One of 3 asleep when they scored the 2nd as well. Great run for the 2nd goal though.

Kompany 6.5 agree just didn't look as comfortable and I wonder if part of it was being right side rather than left at the back

Lescott 6 started ok I thought and I wouldnt blame him for the goals as some would but he did get it wrong at key times.The worst was his decision to leave Campbell but not get the ball when it was lobbed back over his head.

AJ 6 one or two good moments but overall just not influential/involved enough and working back pretty poor

Milner 6.5 good worker but a little like AJ for me.I expect more on the ball.Maybe the problem was the linking up front which really improved when Silva came on.
Ade 5 I am or at least have been a fan but he just has to do more and look like he really means it. The offside bit continues to annoy me .
Tevez 8.5 He wasn't actually at his best for most of the game but what a great trier and 2 goals from almost nothing. No way Ade or any other City player would have forced himself in to score that 1st one , offside or not.And great to see how happy he was at scoring.

Micah 7, I also thought looked good and strong when he came on
Vieira 7, not a fan but the one thing he does is show calmness.
Silva 9,exceptional. Such a good first touch and shows really well for players for a pass.

Mancini 6. I was surprised when he went with Ade and it just didn't work. Also surprised he took so long changing it but he got there in the end. He also needs to revisit the 2 goals as both arguably are down to basics he works on every week in training.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 am

Hart - 6

Boateng - 6
Kompany - 7
Lescott - 6
Bridge - 6

Milner - 6
De Jong -6
Barry - 7
Johnson - 6

Ade - 5
Tevez - 8

Richards - 7
Silva - 8
Vieira - 6

Mainly 6's then for me. Thourght we were poor tbh, but hey when you win without playing well you are doing something right. Never thourght I would say this, but I think we need Toure back to sure up that defence. Needed more from the likes of Milner and Johnson I thourght yesterday.
Richard
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:13 am

Hart - 7

Boateng - 6
Kompany - 7
Lescott - 6
Bridge - 5.5

Milner - 7
De Jong -7
Barry - 6.5
Johnson - 6

Ade - 5
Tevez - 8.5

Richards - 6
Silva - 8.5
Vieira - 6.5
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 am

Grandpa Patrick 6.5? Yeah, he really looks like a sort of Wombo, his experience at the end of games like yesterday and in Europa League shall be useful for our Mancio City!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am

Renato_CTID wrote:he really looks like a sort of Wombo

Is that some racist slang I'm unaware of?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 pm

13021J wrote:Agree strongly with all points except Bridge who I thought was awful. I know he is rusty but passing was bad, got skinned a few times and gave silly free kick for their equaliser. Never looks like winning a 50/50 and is a liability in the air. .

This.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Return to The Maine Football forum