Suppository Takes A Strange Turn

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Suppository Takes A Strange Turn

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 am

mr_nool wrote:Could anyone explain this thread title to a poor and confused foreign bastard?
I really don't get the connection!

SKY has a show called 'Sunday Supplement' which, because of it's usual attacks or refusal to acknowledge our club - is referred to as Sunday Suppository. It is made up of a panel of 'respected' journalists.

This thread is a sort of weekly update.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22 am

john@staustell wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Could anyone explain this thread title to a poor and confused foreign bastard?

SKY has a show called 'Sunday Supplement' which, because of it's usual attacks or refusal to acknowledge our club - is referred to as Sunday Suppository. It is made up of a panel of 'respected' journalists.

Thanks mate! I guess it's just a play on the words supplement/suppository, then. And that the show is about as fun as a pill up the arse ...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 am

Are you familiar with the term "damned by faint praise' - well that would apply to this bunch of journos after thumping another PL team 7 - 0 they do not mention our terrific performance. Actually it probably would not apply as you would need to have 'some praise' - I may have missed some but I did not hear any - just jumping on the chance to talk about Joe.

And the important thing to note is that the journos this week are amongst those that are less negative towards CITY (some are just totally vitriolic).

They have made a living through wanking over all things scum/baconface related with grudging acknowledgement of arse and Chelsea achievements (they love Jose).
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby zuricity » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

mr_nool wrote:
Thanks mate! I guess it's just a play on the words supplement/suppository, then. And that the show is about as fun as a pill up the arse ...

You got it in one and the effect these guys have, ie the pill's effect, is like a flock of pidgeons being startled by a cat.

EDIT

The thread is here to help you to identify within the media, who are Citys friends , or in this group of timewasters case, who are the enemas....
Last edited by zuricity on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 am

mr_nool wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

here's the thing...i think the thread title originated when, one fucking off/random/fucked up week, they decided to stop slagging us for 10 seconds, which prompted the thread title.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:28 pm

a bit of seasonal nostalgia for those that remember together with those that don't (and are interested of course!)

[youtube]so67xvteYRU[/youtube]
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 am

[youtube]ehRoi1cYPyM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dazby » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 am

That's about as respectful as you're going to get from these guys. Good stuff.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 am

dazby wrote:That's about as respectful as you're going to get from these guys. Good stuff.

We ground out winning the league? Should we list some of the obvious games where we ground out results?

Apart from that, relatively fair, although only we spent money in summer and if we don't win it, it'll be a failure. Shame for Arsenal that that Ozil kid who came through their youth academy had a poor game yesterday
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tesl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:51 am

I don't watch these often, but I thought they were more than fair. They said we were awesome and one of the best teams the PL has ever seen, that its our league to lose, and that no team will want to draw us in the last 16 of the CL.

Can't say fairer than that, not negative at all and I think everything they said was accurate.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

They just took the opportunity to say not just that we should win the league(it's our's to lose)but if we don't the manager is a massive flop..Just setting it up for the end of the season so it's either a "told you so what do you expect" or a whole programme analysing why Pellegrini is useless or the players have let him down or...........
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

That will be the angle Doug. Tbf, it's probably partly true though.

We should win the league & as they say, we should have won it last season.

The fact that we are trying to do it in a manner of constant all out attack, is an Achilles heel in the short term, but I am happy to go with it in order to make the transition into a team which plays like that & wins stuff in the long term. But if we tightened it up & just went for results, well if Baconface was managing us, I recon we'd probably have a 100% record.

I am happy to go with what the Count is attempting, but in the end, if he doesn't win the league with this squad, he probably has underachieved & it's fair enough for them to say so, provided they don't over exaggerate it & make mountains out of molehills, which they almost certainly would ;)
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Tesl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:They just took the opportunity to say not just that we should win the league(it's our's to lose)but if we don't the manager is a massive flop..Just setting it up for the end of the season so it's either a "told you so what do you expect" or a whole programme analysing why Pellegrini is useless or the players have let him down or...........

I dunno. If they say we aren't that good then everyone gets all offended because we are awesome, and if they say we are awesome and should win the league then everyone gets all offended because 'they are setting it up incase we lose'.

I'm not saying you do this yourself particularly, but lots of other people on this forum do. Honestly I think there is just too much paranoia in here, although many journalists might not like us much I don't see this grand conspiracy everybody else sees. And if you look at any other clubs fan forums they all are exactly the same and believe refs and pundits and the media are plotting against them.

I think anyone that can take anything there they said negatively are reading far too much into things based on their already preconceived notions and not on any actual reality.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 pm

They don't know the outcome of the season anymore than us so they need to cover all bases to avoid looking like idiots.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Tesl wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:They just took the opportunity to say not just that we should win the league(it's our's to lose)but if we don't the manager is a massive flop..Just setting it up for the end of the season so it's either a "told you so what do you expect" or a whole programme analysing why Pellegrini is useless or the players have let him down or...........

I dunno. If they say we aren't that good then everyone gets all offended because we are awesome, and if they say we are awesome and should win the league then everyone gets all offended because 'they are setting it up incase we lose'.

I'm not saying you do this yourself particularly, but lots of other people on this forum do. Honestly I think there is just too much paranoia in here, although many journalists might not like us much I don't see this grand conspiracy everybody else sees. And if you look at any other clubs fan forums they all are exactly the same and believe refs and pundits and the media are plotting against them.

I think anyone that can take anything there they said negatively are reading far too much into things based on their already preconceived notions and not on any actual reality.

It's not a case of taking what they said as being negative, it's a case of knowing how they operate.

In case you didn't notice, whilst praising us, they were already starting to get the knives ready for Arsenal, the club who have been the darlings for the last couple of months, in case that goes pear shaped (sorry I mean for WHEN that goes pear shaped).

They are going to get stuck into them for not signing more players.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Tesl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Tesl wrote:

It's not a case of taking what they said as being negative, it's a case of knowing how they operate.

In case you didn't notice, whilst praising us, they were already starting to get the knives ready for Arsenal, the club who have been the darlings for the last couple of months, in case that goes pear shaped (sorry I mean for WHEN that goes pear shaped).

They are going to get stuck into them for not signing more players.

No that's fine, football coverage in the british media is incredibly awful and they are always looking for small things to make a massive massive deal of. I know that, besides most football crisis's are basically caused by the media themselves.

A good example was the Hodgson 'racism' joke a while back. The Daily Mail first go nuts about it and print tons of stories about it, only then a day or two later to print lots of editorials saying how ridiculous it was and how it should never have got the uproar it did. Yet that uproar had been completely manufactured by them themselves, nobody else in the real world gave a shit whatsoever. Martin Samuel (my favourite sports journalist) writing how it was a non event really pissed me off, because it was created by the same people hes working for.

Its total bullshit I know, my meaning really was just that they aren't anti City as such, almost everyone gets the same treatment as we do (the obvious exception was Rudolf, but I don't think Moyes will be exempt). Its not an anti City bias, they just want to exaggerate everything as having far more meaning or impact than it actually does.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Tesl wrote:

How about we ground out winning the league? For a start, who doesn't? Every time the rags won a game they didn't deserve to, you hear the nonsense about how that's what champions do, yet apparently us winning the league like that is a bad thing. And that's ignoring things like it being the third highest points total, the away wins at Norwich, Spurs or the rags or some of the football we played.

There was also the comment about how some people said we bought the league - can't imagine who'd say that.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Tesl wrote: No that's fine, football coverage in the british media is incredibly awful ..... they just want to exaggerate everything as having far more meaning or impact than it actually does.

Correct. They have to sell their stuff, so everything is presented as definitive. During our title season every result in the last three months was presented as decisive, one way or the other, and it went to the last minute.

Blame the audience though, as there is obviously no market for considered judgements!
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Tesl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Tesl wrote:

How about we ground out winning the league? For a start, who doesn't? Every time the rags won a game they didn't deserve to, you hear the nonsense about how that's what champions do, yet apparently us winning the league like that is a bad thing. And that's ignoring things like it being the third highest points total, the away wins at Norwich, Spurs or the rags or some of the football we played.

Oh stop being so precious. You are so upset because one guy chose the term 'ground out' to describe our title win? I can't think of a smaller less insignificant thing to be upset over.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 am

Tesl wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Tesl wrote:

Oh stop being so precious. You are so upset because one guy chose the term 'ground out' to describe our title win? I can't think of a smaller less insignificant thing to be upset over.

Beating the team that finished second 6-1 on their own turf and having a goal difference of +65 isn't really "grinding out" the title though, is it?

Edit: I have just checked and only four times in the history of English football have any team won the top division with a better goal difference than City did in 2011-12. Doesn't say "grinding out" the title to me.

I am not "upset". I just don't like liars.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum