Attacking/Defending Corners

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Attacking/Defending Corners

Postby mcfctm » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 am

I noticed against Blackburn that when we had a corner we would send Komps and Micah up but leave Kolo and Lescott back. Again against juve we had Kolo staying back and zabaleta stood at the edge of their box.
My point is do you think we need to be more attacking from set plays or would that leave us vulnerable for the counter?

And also when we're defending corners should we have at least one man on the half way line? I remember Mourinho at Chelski used to leave 2 sometimes even 3 players on the half way line when defending a corner as it meant the other team had to bring players back to mark them.
mcfctm
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Re: Attacking/Defending Corners

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 am

Hughes tried leaving several players on the halfwayline but it didn't work & we consistently let in goals from corners. We've been a bit better since Mancini but the only reason we didn't concede v Chelsea was bad finishing by their players. They had 3 easy opportunities.

I thought Johnson's corners v Juve were excellent tbf & had we pressed down the flanks & kept winning more of them, we surely would have scored. Unfortunately, that was one of many glaringly obvious tricks we missed in a thick headed display.

Whoever stays back & defends when we have an attacking corner, it should never ever under any circumstances be Lescott. He is the most dangerous player at the club attacking corners & creating holes for others & it's yet another baffling & ill thought out ploy.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfctm » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:23 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Hughes tried leaving several players on the halfwayline but it didn't work & we consistently let in goals from corners. We've been a bit better since Mancini but the only reason we didn't concede v Chelsea was bad finishing by their players. They had 3 easy opportunities.

I thought Johnson's corners v Juve were excellent tbf & had we pressed down the flanks & kept winning more of them, we surely would have scored. Unfortunately, that was one of many glaringly obvious tricks we missed in a thick headed display.

Whoever stays back & defends when we have an attacking corner, it should never ever under any circumstances be Lescott. He is the most dangerous player at the club attacking corners & creating holes for others & it's yet another baffling & ill thought out ploy.

Lescott staying back for a corner is one I couldn't understand, didn't he score about 8 goals for Everton one season?
mcfctm
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

mcfctm wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Hughes tried leaving several players on the halfwayline but it didn't work & we consistently let in goals from corners. We've been a bit better since Mancini but the only reason we didn't concede v Chelsea was bad finishing by their players. They had 3 easy opportunities.

Lescott staying back for a corner is one I couldn't understand, didn't he score about 8 goals for Everton one season?

I know he got a fair few. It's not just scoring from the corner either, he gets right in the thick of it & upsets the defenders, leaving space for others, then he gets on the end of headers etc if the ball's played back in. He made a tit out of Dunne like that a couple of season's ago; sneaking in behind him for a free header.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum