We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 am

Roberto Mancini admitted in the wake of a 2-1 Carling Cup defeat at West Brom that a combination of injuries and City's tight schedule had presented a real dilemma.

Blues boss Mancini had a wary eye on Saturday's clash with Chelsea and handed senior debuts to Javan Vidal, Greg Cunnningham, Ben Mee and John Guidetti for the tricky third-round tie at The Hawthorns.

But after Brazilian striker Jo gave City the lead, they conceded two second-half goals to a determined Albion side go out of the competition in stark contrast to last season's run to the semi-finals.

Mancini said: "We wanted to win this competition but we couldn't take any risks, both games were important to us. But we play Chelsea at 12.45 on Saturday and have only got 12 or 13 players.

"The time for players to recover is very short. It needs to be three days' minimum. It would have been better if the Chelsea game was an evening kick-off."

Chelsea's Champions League tie on Tuesday precluded that option, and interestingly the champions also went out of the Carling Cup with an unexpected 4-3 defeat by Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge.

But despite the exit, Mancini had no qualms about blooding City's up-and-coming youngsters. He said: "I gave the young guys their chance in this game, and if they don't play then they will never improve.

"I knew that there was a chance we would lose with six young players, but we did want to win. Saturday is more important, but if I had not so many playerds injured, I would have put out a stronger side."

mcfc.co.uk
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Postby halnone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 am

i love you mancini
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Tru_Blu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 am

But Mancini disagrees, adding: "Saturday is more important, the FA Cup is more important. The Europa League is more important.

you make sense Mancini. I back you GO CITY
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare."

Piers Morgan

Tru_Blu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: oat-Rivaldo cur-KDB

Postby Tru_Blu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 am

But Mancini disagrees, adding: "Saturday is more important, the FA Cup is more important. The Europa League is more important.

you make sense Mancini. I back you GO CITY

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_6394430,00.html
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare."

Piers Morgan

Tru_Blu

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: oat-Rivaldo cur-KDB

Postby Michigan Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 am

It's a good job we didn't bin the League Cup in '70 and '76.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue

Postby irblinx » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 am

And if our still stuttering first team get destroyed by Chelsea on Saturday you'll look a complete dick Mancini, half of those kids have no future at the club and fielding them all together is a joke especially when coupled with the biggest underachievers in the first team squad (RSC,Jo & PV)
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby simon12 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 am

irblinx wrote:And if our still stuttering first team get destroyed by Chelsea on Saturday you'll look a complete dick Mancini, half of those kids have no future at the club and fielding them all together is a joke especially when coupled with the biggest underachievers in the first team squad (RSC,Jo & PV)

I would take that futher and insist that only a victory will do on Saturday as 2,800 of us went last night thinking this is our big chance for silverware only to be presented with nothing.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 am

no we didn't.

he's made a rod for his own back here, get battered by chelsea on sat (a very real possibility) and things are going to start getting nasty.

saturday is going to be pretty fucking tense.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 am

So he's admitted he's not bothered about this competition. Personally, I think that's arrogance beyond belief and shows that the club is starting to become what others have accused it of - lacking class and being mercenaries. However, he's also stated that the other competitions are more important, so I suggest he wins one of them to prove me wrong.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 am

I agree he's made a rod for his own back but i really think he was forced into it with the injuries we have and the shit scheduling of the game on Saturday. I think we'd all agree that the Carling Cup, along with most other teams, is our lowest priority and a CL spot and the Europa League are the ones we will be concentrating on this season. The FA Cup isn't until the new year so that is out of the equation for now. It was a gamble and it never paid off, this time.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby dick dastardley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:14 am

simon12 wrote:
irblinx wrote:And if our still stuttering first team get destroyed by Chelsea on Saturday you'll look a complete dick Mancini, half of those kids have no future at the club and fielding them all together is a joke especially when coupled with the biggest underachievers in the first team squad (RSC,Jo & PV)

I would take that futher and insist that only a victory will do on Saturday as 2,800 of us went last night thinking this is our big chance for silverware only to be presented with nothing.

totally agree if we get whalloped on sat which we may or mat not depending on which city turn up, us going out of a competition we have every chance of winning shows that the Eyetie needs reality check, for one we aint a big club yet!! we aint won a trophy for 30+yrs so this could have been the one, we aint guaranteed beating chelski if we cant beat blackburn!!! i want this season to kick start our future!!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:23 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:So he's admitted he's not bothered about this competition. Personally, I think that's arrogance beyond belief and shows that the club is starting to become what others have accused it of - lacking class and being mercenaries. However, he's also stated that the other competitions are more important, so I suggest he wins one of them to prove me wrong.

Talk about overreaction!!!!

We have tons of injuries and have a huge game on Saturday where we have to have as many of our first teamers available as possible. I definitely would have liked Mancini to put out a slightly stronger team last night but I can see why he did it. It was a gamble, and it didn't pay off. We've put strong teams out in the Europa League so far, so it's not as if he's doing this with all cup competitions.

You sound like a tabloid newspaper. Hughes was sacked last year because he was never going to lead us to the top 4, despite our run in the Carling Cup. I can well imagine that Mancini's job will only be at risk if we don't finish in the top 4 - that's why he is prioritising the league over anything else.

It's not a perfect solution as I'm dying for us to win a cup like everyone else here. But once we establish ourselves as a top 4 club, with regular Champions League football, the trophies will come.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:46 am

Even if we lose on saturday, the club now have the priorities right. Champions League is a must this season.

Carling Cup and Europa League are both second rate trophies, we need to focus on The Premiership and FA Cup as they are the trophies that give the club real recognition.
sandman

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am

Priority should be getting this fucking monkey off our back. What happened to success breeds success?
The Man In Blue

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 am

The Man In Blue wrote:Priority should be getting this fucking monkey off our back. What happened to success breeds success?

Success in a reserves competition isnt really success though is it?
sandman

Postby Fish111 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:44 am

Hindsight is a great thing. If Mancini had played our 'stars' and picked up a couple more injuries, negating them from the match against Chelsea, the over-reaction on here would have been so much different.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:22 am

sandman wrote:Even if we lose on saturday, the club now have the priorities right. Champions League is a must this season.

Carling Cup and Europa League are both second rate trophies, we need to focus on The Premiership and FA Cup as they are the trophies that give the club real recognition.

Second rate trophies? Please remind me, when is the last time we won a trophy? Never mind a 'first rate trophy'?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 am

I think RM is spot on

I can't remember so much hysterical reaction to a cup defeat - I'm truly astonished

It's as though beating west broom last night would have guaranteed us a trophy

The accusations of arrogant and inept management say much more about our inability to understand our clubs priority this year

Winning the minor cup would obviously appease those who allow the scums banner to get on their tits but that's all.

In fact winning any cup this year is really no more than a bauble

CL qualification is the be all and end all this season. The long term impact of CL for city at this stage of our development is immense, it changes the ball game entirely and will not only deliver domestic success but will truly put us on the world stage

I
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 am

Patrick wrote:I think RM is spot on

I can't remember so much hysterical reaction to a cup defeat - I'm truly astonished

It's as though beating west broom last night would have guaranteed us a trophy

The accusations of arrogant and inept management say much more about our inability to understand our clubs priority this year

Winning the minor cup would obviously appease those who allow the scums banner to get on their tits but that's all.

In fact winning any cup this year is really no more than a bauble

CL qualification is the be all and end all this season. The long term impact of CL for city at this stage of our development is immense, it changes the ball game entirely and will not only deliver domestic success but will truly put us on the world stage

I

All it takes is for arse to draw scum and it would have been an easy(ish) ride to the final.

Some posters on here go on like they're the ones running the fucking club. I'm a City fan, and as such I want to see my club lift a trophy.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
sandman wrote:Even if we lose on saturday, the club now have the priorities right. Champions League is a must this season.

Second rate trophies? Please remind me, when is the last time we won a trophy? Never mind a 'first rate trophy'?

Are you that desperate for silverware that you'd happoily forfeit improvement in the long term for a short term pot in a reserves competition?
sandman

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum