We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Postby ronk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Something strange has happened with the League Cup in recent years for us. It's as if the expectation of success has created a situation where it's intolerable that we don't win the cup every year.

Last year we got to the semi, it stands to reason that we'll get to the final because we spent more money. Anything less is a disaster and an insult to us long suffering fans. That sort of thinking elevated the match way beyond it's actual importance. But it's a cup, part of cups is their unpredictability. It hurts that we've gone out when we were in such a strong position, but it happens.

I watched the highlights on the Official Site, far more detailed than anything I'd been able to see. Calmed me down a fair bit. We had chances, there were some good performances, there's plenty to look forward to.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:17 pm

when i went to work today, i was moaning like hell about to many young uns in the team, but a chelsea fan said what happens if you got barry,yaya,tevez or anybody else injured, then we would have a real fight on against chelsea,newcastle and teams coming up. he said city wants champs league and to get into that city need the best players fit. couldnt argue to be honest and at least i had a laugh at the liverpool fans at work
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Lee_R » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Bollocks Mancini, for the first time ever I am going to say you're talking utter bollocks. I still have faith however.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 pm

To follow that Ronk mate...I have had an interesting conversation with that good mate of mine...(Dave, I know you lurk but I wish you'd post on here!!!), who pointed out that although the West Brom team was mainly reserves, most of them were experienced pros, whereas many of our team were only really youth players. Young and inexperienced.

I haven't seen the highlights yet so can't comment on any performances but will trust your word on that mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Lee_R wrote:Bollocks Mancini, for the first time ever I am going to say you're talking utter bollocks. I still have faith however.

c'mon tell us why you think he's talking bollox ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Lee_R » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:11 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Lee_R wrote:Bollocks Mancini, for the first time ever I am going to say you're talking utter bollocks. I still have faith however.

Because he could have had the top players on the bench and ready to come on for half an hour and win the game. It was an important game and a chance to win something and change the fortunes of the club.
Lee_R

Postby kinkylola » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Does anyone else think that given should have saved both of their goals fairly easily? At least gotten a hand on them ... they were well within reach it just seemed like he didn't get down fast enough. Could have something to do with confidence in his shoulder? I'm being serious here.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

In honesty, given the choice between the Carling Cup and getting 3 pts from Chelsea...and eventually finishing in a CL qualifying position. I know which I would take as being "fortune changing" for City.

I unsderstand your disappointment like everyone else but under the circumstances, he probably made the right decision and took a gamble that didn't come off.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Looking at the bugger picture, Mancini was 100% spot on to pick the side last night. Yes we are desparate for a trophy and the league cup was our best chance of winning one but the league is more important. The Sheik has spent £350m on players in 2 years and i don't think he would be entirely happy with a league cup win at the end of this season to show for it. Champions League qualification is a must this season above winning a trophy. The likes of Silva, Balotelli, Yaya, Tevez all signed for us on the condition that we would be in the champions league. Carlos Tevez cannot go 3 seasons without champions league football, it would be a crime and i reckon he would go.

People look at Vidal-Mee-Boyata-Cunningham and see a inexperienced back four put there by a manager who isn't bothered about winning the league cup. I see an inexperienced back four put there by a manager who had no choice.

Kolarov, Boateng, Bridge, Lescott all out injured. We only have 4 fit senior defenders at the moment Richards-Kompany-Toure-Zabaleta. Now say for example like Chelsea last night Kompany and Zabaleta were to pick up injuries. We'd be left with Richards and Toure plus two of Boyata, Vidal, Mee, Cunningham to play against Chelsea. And whilst i have faith in Boyata to ease through that game, the other 3 i'm not sure about.

Now if all our defenders were fit last night and assuming that Boateng-Toure-Kompany-Kolarov are our starting back four then our back four for the game last night would of been Richards-Boyata-Lescott-Bridge with Zabaleta to fit in there somewhere, a different scenrio.

The same with the strikers upfront. Last night we had Balotelli and Adebayor out. If those two were fit one of them would have played and it may have been a different story.

So as you can see, Mancini and his "inept" management and tactics weren't to blame, injuries were and that is just bad luck.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Lee_R » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:17 pm

john68 wrote:In honesty, given the choice between the Carling Cup and getting 3 pts from Chelsea...and eventually finishing in a CL qualifying position. I know which I would take as being "fortune changing" for City.

I unsderstand your disappointment like everyone else but under the circumstances, he probably made the right decision and took a gamble that didn't come off.

IF we get 3 points from Chelsea.

Ill then hold may hands up and say well done Mancini.
Lee_R

Postby kinkylola » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Lee_R wrote:
john68 wrote:In honesty, given the choice between the Carling Cup and getting 3 pts from Chelsea...and eventually finishing in a CL qualifying position. I know which I would take as being "fortune changing" for City.

IF we get 3 points from Chelsea.

Ill then hold may hands up and say well done Mancini.

It's not that it was really a tactical decision on his part ... it comes down to prioritizing the league, and really the next couple months worth of games in all competitions, over 1 game in the CC that we could have won with the squad we put out if not for given letting in 2 goals that were absolutely savable. .. AND the fact that we have only 3 defenders available ... possibly not just for next game, but potentially next month as well. It wasn't a choice.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Lee_R wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

Because he could have had the top players on the bench and ready to come on for half an hour and win the game. It was an important game and a chance to win something and change the fortunes of the club.

Im glad you said that.. thats exactly what i was thinking. Eg Vinne for starters. But then i thought well he wouldn't have known the CBs were going to fucl up when they did.. and then get mugged again while they were rubbing their wounds.

Vinne and Nige off the bench could have sealed the game off from half time. i suppose part of the thinking was avoiding injuries though so it was a tough call that went wrong.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:Looking at the bugger picture, Mancini was 100% spot on to pick the side last night. Yes we are desparate for a trophy and the league cup was our best chance of winning one but the league is more important. The Sheik has spent £350m on players in 2 years and i don't think he would be entirely happy with a league cup win at the end of this season to show for it. Champions League qualification is a must this season above winning a trophy. The likes of Silva, Balotelli, Yaya, Tevez all signed for us on the condition that we would be in the champions league. Carlos Tevez cannot go 3 seasons without champions league football, it would be a crime and i reckon he would go.

People look at Vidal-Mee-Boyata-Cunningham and see a inexperienced back four put there by a manager who isn't bothered about winning the league cup. I see an inexperienced back four put there by a manager who had no choice.

Kolarov, Boateng, Bridge, Lescott all out injured. We only have 4 fit senior defenders at the moment Richards-Kompany-Toure-Zabaleta. Now say for example like Chelsea last night Kompany and Zabaleta were to pick up injuries. We'd be left with Richards and Toure plus two of Boyata, Vidal, Mee, Cunningham to play against Chelsea. And whilst i have faith in Boyata to ease through that game, the other 3 i'm not sure about.

Now if all our defenders were fit last night and assuming that Boateng-Toure-Kompany-Kolarov are our starting back four then our back four for the game last night would of been Richards-Boyata-Lescott-Bridge with Zabaleta to fit in there somewhere, a different scenrio.

The same with the strikers upfront. Last night we had Balotelli and Adebayor out. If those two were fit one of them would have played and it may have been a different story.

So as you can see, Mancini and his "inept" management and tactics weren't to blame, injuries were and that is just bad luck.

Do you want to edit any of that post mate???...:-) Or was it directed for Cutemancs???
john68

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm

john68 wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:Looking at the bugger picture, Mancini was 100% spot on to pick the side last night. Yes we are desparate for a trophy and the league cup was our best chance of winning one but the league is more important. The Sheik has spent £350m on players in 2 years and i don't think he would be entirely happy with a league cup win at the end of this season to show for it. Champions League qualification is a must this season above winning a trophy. The likes of Silva, Balotelli, Yaya, Tevez all signed for us on the condition that we would be in the champions league. Carlos Tevez cannot go 3 seasons without champions league football, it would be a crime and i reckon he would go.

Do you want to edit any of that post mate???...:-) Or was it directed for Cutemancs???

I have bugger problems than spelling mate ;-)
the_georgian_genius

Postby ronk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:08 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Lee_R wrote:[

Im glad you said that.. thats exactly what i was thinking. Eg Vinne for starters. But then i thought well he wouldn't have known the CBs were going to fucl up when they did.. and then get mugged again while they were rubbing their wounds.

Vinne and Nige off the bench could have sealed the game off from half time. i suppose part of the thinking was avoiding injuries though so it was a tough call that went wrong.

Vinne WAS on the bench. Mancini did exactly what he should have, he put Zabaleta into the fray to shore up the weak right side. The goals were so close together there wasn't time to respond. The remaining two subs were needed to chase the game so Vinnie never came on.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:32 pm

1. Why does having some defesive injuries mean he has to play an 18 year old centre forward in midfield whilst a player who's barely kicked a fucking ball since July & been told he's not wanted & has no future at the club plays upfront and a 3rd centre forward floats around amongst them? What's wrong with a balanced team, whoever the players?

2. If we're giving some more excuses for not feilding a balanced team, Is everone happy that AJ played 90 mins in a fucking suicide squad for no reason, therefore, by Mancini's reconing, unable to start v Chelsea, or are we choosing to ignore that?

3. Why the fuck did Zabba come on?

4. If the league cup isn't worth winning, shouldn't that fucking banner read 40 years & does that make all of us who travelled to Wembley a bunch of fucking idiots?

5. Why isn't the bloke who played centre half for Barca in the Champions league final 2 seasons ago considered good enough to fill in as a defender for us if needed?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:1. Why does having some defesive injuries mean he has to play an 18 year old centre forward in midfield whilst a player who's barely kicked a fucking ball since July & been told he's not wanted & has no future at the club plays upfront and a 3rd centre forward floats around amongst them? What's wrong with a balanced team, whoever the players?

2. If we're giving some more excuses for not feilding a balanced team, Is everone happy that AJ played 90 mins in a fucking suicide squad for no reason, therefore, by Mancini's reconing, unable to start v Chelsea, or are we choosing to ignore that?

4. If the league cup isn't worth winning, shouldn't that fucking banner read 40 years & does that make all of us who travelled to Wembley a bunch of fucking idiots?

5. Why isn't the bloke who played centre half for Barca in the Champions league final 2 seasons ago considered good enough to fill in as a defender for us if needed?

If hes not in the starting 11 on saturday then Mancini can go fuck himself.
AJ is the one person who can win us a game on his own.........
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

I am out of the country right now so only just looking at reactions for the first time now.Not all surprised by the reactions as it's how I felt.Immediately I saw the team I feared the worst ( I did when I saw then train on Tuesday albeit the final 11 were a tiny bit better then the 11 I saw)I could see that Mancini had difficult decisions to make and have no problems with a "weaker" side for WBA but I think he went too far.

OK we have injuries in defence and if would have been mad to play all that were fit but how about 1 of them alonside Boyata? But the biggest decisions he took were in midfield.I look at our numbers there and feel we have SWP,JM,AJ,DS,NDJ,GB who I would consider real first team options and I woould certainly have expected 2 or 3 of them in the side but we just got AJ.BUT we then supplemented it with Vieira ( a waste of space) Jo wide left ( another waste of space in midfield) Ibrahim ( okish but raw) Guidetti ( did he really play him wide right?)

And then for his first start in a yonk and a half RSC up top.Miles better to have started with Guidetti up top and somebody else wide right.

Anyway it's gone now as is our chance of another trophy.Will beating Chelsea make up for the loss, no not for me as I was expecting to beat them anyway. I have read all the arguments back and forth about priorities and he had no choice etc etc but I am left still overall feeling a bit angry and disappointed.I feel Mancini has put a lot more pressure on himself to succeed in the league by doing what he has done.We would have been in the last 16!!! 2 more games to the semis , just 2 more games. Win 2 more Euro games and we could rest players in that if needed.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I am out of the country right now so only just looking at reactions for the first time now.Not all surprised by the reactions as it's how I felt.Immediately I saw the team I feared the worst ( I did when I saw then train on Tuesday albeit the final 11 were a tiny bit better then the 11 I saw)I could see that Mancini had difficult decisions to make and have no problems with a "weaker" side for WBA but I think he went too far.

OK we have injuries in defence and if would have been mad to play all that were fit but how about 1 of them alonside Boyata? But the biggest decisions he took were in midfield.I look at our numbers there and feel we have SWP,JM,AJ,DS,NDJ,GB who I would consider real first team options and I woould certainly have expected 2 or 3 of them in the side but we just got AJ.BUT we then supplemented it with Vieira ( a waste of space) Jo wide left ( another waste of space in midfield) Ibrahim ( okish but raw) Guidetti ( did he really play him wide right?)

And then for his first start in a yonk and a half RSC up top.Miles better to have started with Guidetti up top and somebody else wide right.

Anyway it's gone now as is our chance of another trophy.Will beating Chelsea make up for the loss, no not for me as I was expecting to beat them anyway. I have read all the arguments back and forth about priorities and he had no choice etc etc but I am left still overall feeling a bit angry and disappointed.I feel Mancini has put a lot more pressure on himself to succeed in the league by doing what he has done.We would have been in the last 16!!! 2 more games to the semis , just 2 more games. Win 2 more Euro games and we could rest players in that if needed.

Spot on.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:1. Why does having some defesive injuries mean he has to play an 18 year old centre forward in midfield whilst a player who's barely kicked a fucking ball since July & been told he's not wanted & has no future at the club plays upfront and a 3rd centre forward floats around amongst them? What's wrong with a balanced team, whoever the players?

If hes not in the starting 11 on saturday then Mancini can go fuck himself.
AJ is the one person who can win us a game on his own.........

He's not though is he?

As much as i love Johnson he still has ALOT to learn.
the_georgian_genius

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum