We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: We had to gamble, say's Mancini

Postby Socrates » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

Can people stop obsessing about that fucking banner at the Swamp FFS? Surely we all know that if we win a cup competition the 34/5 banner will immediately replaced by a 43 banner. When we do win a major trophy please let it not be the watered down mickey mouse version of the one we one in 76. Europa League would be a lot better, FA Cup better still. Then on to win the Prem and get that banner taken down once and for all.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby xavi6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 am

Socrates wrote:Can people stop obsessing about that fucking banner at the Swamp FFS? Surely we all know that if we win a cup competition the 34/5 banner will immediately replaced by a 43 banner. When we do win a major trophy please let it not be the watered down mickey mouse version of the one we one in 76. Europa League would be a lot better, FA Cup better still. Then on to win the Prem and get that banner taken down once and for all.

While I love a good idealistic view, we'll be getting a fourth star added to our crest before we're in with a proper shout of winning the league the way things are going.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby kinkylola » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:02 am

Patrick wrote:I think RM is spot on

I can't remember so much hysterical reaction to a cup defeat - I'm truly astonished

It's as though beating west broom last night would have guaranteed us a trophy

The accusations of arrogant and inept management say much more about our inability to understand our clubs priority this year

Winning the minor cup would obviously appease those who allow the scums banner to get on their tits but that's all.

In fact winning any cup this year is really no more than a bauble

CL qualification is the be all and end all this season. The long term impact of CL for city at this stage of our development is immense, it changes the ball game entirely and will not only deliver domestic success but will truly put us on the world stage

I

I agree with this, and would also ask people who are calling mancini arrogant for his team selection who they would have put in the back four? Take into consideration that we have chelsea on sat. And do not lose sight of the fact that league position is probably the MOST important thing for us this season (as patrick stated)

micah, lescott, kolarov, boateng, bridge, swp, balotelli, mj ... we don't need any additions to this list 3 days before we play chelsea. End of.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

Patrick wrote:In fact winning any cup this year is really no more than a bauble

erm, that's what the cups are? we'd have a massive fucking party and celebrate city winning a competition. that's what it's all about i would have thought.
The Man In Blue

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

Socrates wrote:Can people stop obsessing about that fucking banner at the Swamp FFS? Surely we all know that if we win a cup competition the 34/5 banner will immediately replaced by a 43 banner. When we do win a major trophy please let it not be the watered down mickey mouse version of the one we one in 76. Europa League would be a lot better, FA Cup better still. Then on to win the Prem and get that banner taken down once and for all.

Christ I had almost thought that common sense was moderated off this board this morning, but then you came along with this gem. I couldnt agree more. Citys future is now inevitable, and when we do win things, I want to win something worth winning, and not to shut everyone else up, but so I know that City are at the absolute summit of world football, all the mickey mouse cups will follow.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am

I can't remember so much hysterical reaction to a cup defeat - I'm truly astonished

The accusations of arrogant and inept management say much more about our inability to understand our clubs priority this year

Winning the minor cup would obviously appease those who allow the scums banner to get on their tits but that's all.

CL qualification is the be all and end all this season. The long term impact of CL for city at this stage of our development is immense, it changes the ball game entirely and will not only deliver domestic success but will truly put us on the world stage

I

Spot on
sandman

Postby xavi6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 am

sandman wrote:

Christ I had almost thought that common sense was moderated off this board this morning, but then you came along with this gem. I couldnt agree more. Citys future is now inevitable, and when we do win things, I want to win something worth winning, and not to shut everyone else up, but so I know that City are at the absolute summit of world football, all the mickey mouse cups will follow.

I really hope you aren't setting yourself up for a fall.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Twobob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am

IF we had played our key players in this cup game (Komps, Tevez etc etc) and they got injured ahead of a very, very key match on Saturday , the same people on this forum that Blurt thier all knowing, hysterical knee jerk reacitions about NOT playing these would have pulled the knives anyway and said we shouldn't have played them and kicked off.

Hindsight is fookin wonderfull!

We gave some of these fringe players and kids a chance to show what they could do, they didnt and probably showed themselves in thier true colours.

Bring on Chelsea!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 am

All I hear is if if if if if... what "if" we fucking lose on sat? then we're missed out on our best chance of silverware and drropped point in the prem.

Sat is a must win!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:43 am

xavi6 wrote:
sandman wrote:

I really hope you aren't setting yourself up for a fall.

I'm not, City are going to be unbeliveable. Chelsea are top of the prem with a fraction of the resources city have. Anybody who says you cant buy success needs to look at their example and look at how much more potential city have.
sandman

Postby Socrates » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

The League Cup has been dying a death for years now, extra European games for up to 7 top clubs and the introduction of transfer windows both played their part. The 25 man Prem senior squad is the final nail in the coffin. Virtually forces sides to field fringe players and kids, not just because they can't afford injuries but also because there is a desperate need for those kids to get more experience as they may need to be drafted in at some point. It's now a reserve competition until at least the semi finals. Take as much joy as you want from a strong side last year getting past Scunthorpe and Arsenal's reserves. It was hardly a great achievement and those extra games for first team players may well have cost us dear in the last week of the season.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby pepsi_dave » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:55 am

sandman wrote:

I

Spot on

^^^ THIS ALSO ^^^
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:56 am

I

Read this... and if you dont agree or understand it read it again...and if you still dont get it.. read it again.

While each fan has their own priorities.. some are results obsessed, some just want trophies, some just want great football and thats why a manager can never get it right whatever he does.

The truth is the club wants to break into the elite and the manager is charged with doing that. Giving us the best possible chance of a good showing against Chelsea ( for its effect as much as the points ) is a priority far far and away above what the CC can offer in terms of the clubs progress this season. No new players are going to want to come to City cos we bagged the CC. If however we land CL football and in the process show that we are on a par with the current elite, then we will be achieving what the club has set out to do and we can look forward to attracting some of the best players around and competing at that level for years to come.
The game against Chelsea is massive and it has little to do with the points, City have to show that we can stop the Chelsea juggernaught in its tracks and by doing so throw down the challenge to the rest of the prem to do the same. I know a lot of posters on here dont like that way of thinking but the truth is we are no longer an Everton type club hoping to bag an FA Cup now and again, Chelsea are the competition along with Arsenal etc.

We are all trying to square how that can be when we have not shown the customary progress to that status.. CCs etc etc, but we haven't followed the customary path, quiet the opposite.. same effect though.

As for last nights game it is just bad timing that it came less than 72 hours before our 'CL final' and most of our defense out injured. It is unfortunate, it is maybe a fucled up world but the fact remains Sat is our priority by a margin something akin to the difference between Everton and Chelsea.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby OliverHardy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 pm

irblinx wrote:And if our still stuttering first team get destroyed by Chelsea on Saturday you'll look a complete dick Mancini, half of those kids have no future at the club and fielding them all together is a joke especially when coupled with the biggest underachievers in the first team squad (RSC,Jo & PV)

who says? you? people moan that the kids dont get a chance and now you moan when they do? If anyone is the "dick" it's you my mate, for letting your estrogen levels rise enough to post such tripe on here.
OliverHardy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I have no doubt that with the assistance of cold logic, you, Paddy, Socs and some others are correct BBS. But though your argument makes total sense in a rational way, football supporters and City fans in particular are emotional animals.
When something like this happens, the heart kicks in 1st and reacts and like most on here, I wanted to win the game, go all the way to Wembley, watch a City captain lift the Cup...any cup...and dance the night away in celebration. In that respect, I was disappointed when I saw the team selection and gutted when i saw the result....and although it doesn't really bother me too much, the banner and the taunt of 30 odd does need to be removed from the rags armoury pretty soon.

Rationally, what Mancini did was probably the right thing under the circumstances. I don't know enough about what goes on inside the club to agree or disaggree with Lytham's point regarding attitude but as he is around the club from time to time, I think he may have a point and Mancini and/or the Academy staff need to look at this for the future.

I hope that those who are thinking rationally and unemotionally about this can aslo understand that supporters want City to win every game they play, wish to cheer every goal and celebrate every success, no matter whether the trophy is named after any Disney character or not.

Can see some sense in what Mancini did but am still sorely disappointed at not being in the next round.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby guv111 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:32 pm

How have we get so many injuries already this season? Is Mancini getting fitness advice from David Moyes?
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm

guv111 wrote:How have we get so many injuries already this season? Is Mancini getting fitness advice from David Moyes?

How can Mancini be blamed for injuries, they are a necessary evil of the game, and usually at the worst possible time?
sandman

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:54 pm

john68 wrote:I have no doubt that with the assistance of cold logic, you, Paddy, Socs and some others are correct BBS. But though your argument makes total sense in a rational way, football supporters and City fans in particular are emotional animals.
When something like this happens, the heart kicks in 1st and reacts and like most on here, I wanted to win the game, go all the way to Wembley, watch a City captain lift the Cup...any cup...and dance the night away in celebration. In that respect, I was disappointed when I saw the team selection and gutted when i saw the result....and although it doesn't really bother me too much, the banner and the taunt of 30 odd does need to be removed from the rags armoury pretty soon.

Rationally, what Mancini did was probably the right thing under the circumstances. I don't know enough about what goes on inside the club to agree or disaggree with Lytham's point regarding attitude but as he is around the club from time to time, I think he may have a point and Mancini and/or the Academy staff need to look at this for the future.

I hope that those who are thinking rationally and unemotionally about this can aslo understand that supporters want City to win every game they play, wish to cheer every goal and celebrate every success, no matter whether the trophy is named after any Disney character or not.

Can see some sense in what Mancini did but am still sorely disappointed at not being in the next round.

Believe me im with you on all that and would be going as bananas as the next fan on watching our captain lift a trophy ( after i had stopped bawling my eyes out like a baby! ).

If you skim the Team for WBA thread you can see that evryones fears were already ahead of the game.. after Doug posted a selection of what turned out to be the back line. Personally i couldn't make a selection without at least Vinnie in there for some security and we were all arguing basically about the need to hold back players for Sat.

So what im saying is that it wasn't in the end much of a surprise that the back line fucled up and got punished in classic style while they were still moping about the first fucl up. Inexperience.. full stop.

The key thing though as the Team thread highlighted is this was circumstance.. it looked dodgy going into the game and so it turned out. Not sure quiet why but that knowledge of Bobby being caught between a rock and something just as hard has softened the blow of throwing away a prime opportunity of getting to a final, given the fact that so many teams have already gone out. Ce la fuclin Vie i suppose, The team will have to make up for it another way.. and if asked what one trophy you could have out of those on offer i would say the Europa anyway for various reasons.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:13 pm

The thing I don't subscribe to is that the Carling Cup in a Mickey Mouse cup or that it is a reserve team trophy and seemingly not on our radar, as some on here seem to be arguing.
Football is about winning trophies...any trophies...it is about competing in every game and trying your utmost to be successful each and every time you go onto the pitch.
It was the situation that we found ourselves in last night that dimished its importance for us on the night...that particular night...but not any other night when similar circumstances don't exist. Under normal circumstances, the Carling Cup is an important trophy to succeed in.

That, is where that part of Sandman's and Soc's argument falls down. It does sound arrogant when a club who has won nothing for so long fails to adequately compete in any competition it is entered for.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 pm

john68 wrote:The thing I don't subscribe to is that the Carling Cup in a Mickey Mouse cup or that it is a reserve team trophy and seemingly not on our radar, as some on here seem to be arguing.
Football is about winning trophies...any trophies...it is about competing in every game and trying your utmost to be successful each and every time you go onto the pitch.
It was the situation that we found ourselves in last night that dimished its importance for us on the night...that particular night...but not any other night when similar circumstances don't exist. Under normal circumstances, the Carling Cup is an important trophy to succeed in.

That, is where that part of Sandman's and Soc's argument falls down. It does sound arrogant when a club who has won nothing for so long fails to adequately compete in any competition it is entered for.

I dont subscribe to the mickey mouse cup argument either.. totally the opposite and it is a stupid arguemnet imo. it is a Classic Cup competition early in the season and imo is great.. offers a mix of football you dont get in the respective divisions. Ok it gets undermined time and again by priorities of all clubs.. but just look at last years semi-final.. head to head with the rags, full teams battling it out in some of the most exciting footie.. taken very seriously by both clubs.

While we are on the subject i dont subscribe to the Europa as mickey mouse either.. and part of the logic for that is this: As teams qualify the previous season then any one club finishing say 5th like City but basically on the rise can in theory be one of the current years best teams in their countries top league.. if not even the winners. If Juve for instance won the Serie A this year and City get 2nd or 3rd and we meet in the Europa final.. then said final will be between two of the best clubs in Europe at that time. What is mickey mouse about that ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum