Have the club been wastefull on strikers ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Have the club been wastefull on strikers ?

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Fowler, Samaras, Jo, Bonjinov, Benjani, Mpenza, Robhino, Castilla, Sinclair, RS Cruz, now come on ! get the old calculator out, there are others Caciado blah blah blah thats a lot of cash floating around the "transfer bank of waste" are we unlucky with our players or is the clubs scouting and selection policies bad ?
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Have the club been wastefull on strikers ?

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Sinclair did a decent job for us given the circumstances.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:12 pm

sandman wrote:Sinclair did a decent job for us given the circumstances.

He was also a winger.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Fowler: Well past his best when he came to us. He joined just for the money. Wasn't he free?
Samaras: I'm convined we bought him on the strength of a youtube video. Waste of money.
Jo: Just not good enough imo. Waste of money.
Bonjinov: Major injuries set him back and never got the chance to redeem himself. Unlucky with that one.
Benjani: Shite but will be remembered for getting a glancing blow with a dreadlock at the swamp.
Mpenza: Waste of money.
Robhino: What is there left to be said about this bloke? He will never realise his talent unless he goes back to play for Santos.
Castilla: Who?
Sinclair: Did a great job, born and bred a blue. Had a great night with him in the fantasy bar so he's up there in my admiration stakes just for that reason alone.
RS Cruz: Utter waste of money.

just seems to me over the years we have bought strikers who have not been prolific goalscorers in English football for any length of time. One season wonders at best. We've always took a chance on foreign players or players who should have retired before they got to us. I just hope Super Mario recovers his full fitness.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
sandman wrote:Sinclair did a decent job for us given the circumstances.

He was also a winger.

So he is, I didnt even notice that.

He joined us at the end of his career and put in a good shift at every opportunity, he helped the club stay in the premiership when in reality we possibly didnt deserve to be.
sandman

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Who would put money on JO coming back and becoming a hero like the goat?
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mike J » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Fish111 wrote:Fowler: Well past his best when he came to us. He joined just for the money. Wasn't he free?
Samaras: I'm convined we bought him on the strength of a youtube video. Waste of money.
Bonjinov: Major injuries set him back and never got the chance to redeem himself. Unlucky with that one.
Benjani: Shite but will be remembered for getting a glancing blow with a dreadlock at the swamp.
Robhino: What is there left to be said about this bloke? He will never realise his talent unless he goes back to play for Santos.
Sinclair: Did a great job, born and bred a blue. Had a great night with him in the fantasy bar so he's up there in my admiration stakes just for that reason alone.

just seems to me over the years we have bought strikers who have not been prolific goalscorers in English football for any length of time. One season wonders at best. We've always took a chance on foreign players or players who should have retired before they got to us. I just hope Super Mario recovers his full fitness.

disagree massively with your thoughts on mpenza. in his first season with us he helped us out in a big way. his goal at newcastle springs to mind as being an important one.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Mike J wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Fowler: Well past his best when he came to us. He joined just for the money. Wasn't he free?

disagree massively with your thoughts on mpenza. in his first season with us he helped us out in a big way. his goal at newcastle springs to mind as being an important one.

This. Also, I think he was free so hardly a waste of money.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Fowler: Shit! -that penalty!
Samaras: Shit - that video!
Jo: Shit - that 21 mill!
Bonjinov: Shit - those injuries!
Benjani: Shit - that goal!
Mpenza: Shit but so were we - done well
Robhino: Cunt - that transfer deadline!
Castilla: Shit - that sub appearance!
Sinclair: Shit - top guy, that goal!
RS Cruz: see bojinov!

Thanks for the memories.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby petrov » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Fowler: Not as poor as a lot make out but not great either. Did the job okish after arriving on a free. NOT A WASTE
Samaras: yes he was a waste. HUGE WASTE
Jo: i don't know what it is, he has a worse first touch than me but I still have faith/hope he'll do well for us. NOT A WASTE JUST YET
Bonjinov: good player, never a huge goalscorer. To many niggly injuries to survive in the prem I think. UNLUCKY TO BE A WASTE.
Benjani: shit for us, but an ok player besides. PANIC BUY BUT WAS A WASTE IN THE END.
Mpenza: thought he did ok. Really got stuck in and did his part in a weak team. NOT A WASTE.
Robhino: Was brilliant first while, not great there after, never got near justifyin his price tag. HUGE WASTE (of both talent and money)(
Castilla: .... WASTE
Sinclair: I thought he was excellent for us. Good in the air for a winger. CERTAINLY NOT A WASTE AND CERTAINLY NOT A STRIKER.
RS Cruz: Arrived for far to big a price. Will leave and has done nothing. ANOTHER BIG WASTE.

Its not our scouting i'm worried about its whoever does the medicals. Its almost like as long as you have 2 legs, your healthy enough to play for City.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Fowler was 6mill at a time when we didnt have a pot to piss in. The way Keegan pursued him was almost Hughes-santa claus esq!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Can I just remind people who are slamming Mpenza that while he wasn't the most gifted player, his goals in his time with us were probably the most valuable goals from a player in the past decade. Why? Simply because without him we would have gone down, meaning no Thaksin takeover, leading to no sheikh takeover, meaning we'd probably battling it out in a lower division atm.

Also be careful when criticising our old crops because even though they weren't as talented as our current lads, they still had there parts to play and they did so to the best of there ability even if it was limited. We wouldn't be where we are today without them.
Blue Blood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby DPBBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:15 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Fowler was 6mill at a time when we didnt have a pot to piss in. The way Keegan pursued him was almost Hughes-santa claus esq!

Exactly. AND he cost us our chairman David Bernstein! Some people have very short memories it seems.
DPBBlue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Crossie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm

You know what, I wouldnt change anything if I could go back, because of what we have now, and where we're going

Mpenza saved our arses.

What about Macken? £5 mill wasted.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Crossie wrote:You know what, I wouldnt change anything if I could go back, because of what we have now, and where we're going

Mpenza saved our arses.

What about Macken? £5 mill wasted.

Nah.

Macken scored the winner in the spurs comeback.

Every player has had his moment.
Blue Blood

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby patrickblue » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Mpenza did a pretty good job for us, under the circumstances. Why's no-one metioned Vuoso?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Maken, Corradi, I go on, maybe I got it wrong with Sinclair but lets get this straight these guys get paid for being shite at work, I would get a "performance review" and be fucked off out of the door, within a month be skint, lse my house and so on..get the picture ? Some of these are still robbing the football world hands down and worse than any fucking bank scandal !!!
eastlands-lostboy

Postby Burt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 pm

How can Bonjovi be a waste. Didn't we get more for him than we paid?

It appears everbody has forgot Lee Badbuy as well.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Vuosa - a keegan £2m fucking disaster, he dont even score on my Championship Manager game !
eastlands-lostboy

Postby Cityfan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

In addition to that list you could argue that COrradi and Bianchi were a similar waste of money.

We did sign the odd one who did a job all be it breifly without spending too much. Mpenza helped briefly and Cole and Vassell looked pretty decent playing together without costing a fortune. Although he cost us a lot I reckon Bellamy was a decent buy. Hopefully things are looking a bit better now.
Cityfan
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum