Have the club been wastefull on strikers ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Have the club been wastefull on strikers ?

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm

On a plus point, those few years when we had the Goat, Huckerby, Wanchop and Anelka - serious amount of goals from that lot. (Buying Fowler was a waste, some important goals, but only 9 in all if I remember. Still, his celebration in front of the Rags when he scored at COMS was class)
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Socrates » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Fowler was actually about 4.5m - it was 3m+3m in add ons but Leeds settled at 4.5 million in order to get out of paying half his wages! he actually scored 20 goals for us and scored at a rate of better than 1 in 2 games when Anelka wasn't on the pitch! Seems very cheap now when compared to RSC...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Four people have mentioned Castillo, every single one getting his name wrong. I think that says all we need to know about him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beanieboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:05 pm

THE SCARFMAN THE SCARFMAN!!!! Biiaaaaacchhhhi
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

I like to call it 'Dynamic' ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ronk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 pm

We have a shocking record with strikers. I can't even begin to get my head around what exactly the problem is.

Our academy hasn't produced young forwards of any note with the exception of Sturridge, who was bags of trouble.

We have a shocking, shocking record with getting consistency from our top goalscorers. Anelka is the last player we have who's spent more than one season at the top of our charts and even he ended up badly shortly after. It's always been a feature of the club for as long as I can remember, losing our best forwards, usually controversy somewhere in there.

There's always something. Looking back it's simply amazing the string of wild risks we've continued to take with such an important position. There have been exceptions where no one was in the least bit concerned, with good reason, like Tevez and Anelka. There were even the pleasant surprises of Vassell and Bellamy. More often there's been a gloomy inevitability where we all really knew there was something wrong: Jo, RSC, Macken, Bradbury, Bianchi, Samaras, Fowler. We desperately wanted it to work, but it was doomed, doomed, doomed.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Burt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Slim wrote:Four people have mentioned Castillo, every single one getting his name wrong. I think that says all we need to know about him.

But we didn't buy Castillo. He was just a January loan player for 4 months so how he's appeared in this thread bemuses me.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 pm

It's probably the hardest position to be successful in. I'm sure every club could come up with a list that's just as long.

We're not unique in this regard.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 am

Beanieboy wrote:THE SCARFMAN THE SCARFMAN!!!! Biiaaaaacchhhhi

He was good!

Sven didn't give the guy a chance. Still gutted he didn't get a good crack at it here, he was a city legend in the making i tell ya!!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:08 am

Blue Blood wrote:
Beanieboy wrote:THE SCARFMAN THE SCARFMAN!!!! Biiaaaaacchhhhi

He was good!

Sven didn't give the guy a chance. Still gutted he didn't get a good crack at it here, he was a city legend in the making i tell ya!!

He left of his own accord. Never settled. Good player, lot of time for him. Isn't he banging them in for Torino.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:19 am

Bianchi started crying two games in, not a great deal Sven could do about it really. Was a good player and if he had managed to settle in Manchester he would have been 15-20+ a season I am certain, no real fault on anyone here as long as he was honest and not just whinging for whinging's sake.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:40 am

Why is Ade not on the list?? For 25 mill IMO he has been one of the worst of the lot. One outstanding game in a season is not good enough, and before you say he didn't play a lot, was that not down partially to his own stupid antics? I will be glad when he is gone and we get a proper centre forward one that doesn't just to turn up when he can be arsed.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 am

Sister of fu wrote:Why is Ade not on the list?? For 25 mill IMO he has been one of the worst of the lot. One outstanding game in a season is not good enough, and before you say he didn't play a lot, was that not down partially to his own stupid antics? I will be glad when he is gone and we get a proper centre forward one that doesn't just to turn up when he can be arsed.

Partially down to having his friends gunned down on the teambus as well.....get rid!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:05 am

Slim wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Why is Ade not on the list?? For 25 mill IMO he has been one of the worst of the lot. One outstanding game in a season is not good enough, and before you say he didn't play a lot, was that not down partially to his own stupid antics? I will be glad when he is gone and we get a proper centre forward one that doesn't just to turn up when he can be arsed.

Partially down to having his friends gunned down on the teambus as well.....get rid!

So whats the excuse prior to that incident. Wenger does not sell players with out good reason and his must have laughed his bollocks off when he saw us coming with a 25 mill bid. I expect so much more for that kind of money.
Sister of fu

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Slim wrote:

So whats the excuse prior to that incident. Wenger does not sell players with out good reason and his must have laughed his bollocks off when he saw us coming with a 25 mill bid. I expect so much more for that kind of money.

Ade played 26 League matches last season and scored 14, so that's not a bad record. Can't remeber if he scored in Cup matches ?
His best form was at the begining of the season which was interrupted by the ban after the Arsenal match (was it 5 matches ?) . He also had another 3 match ban (can't remember the match in which he was red carded for an alledged elbowing foul).
The incident at the African Nations Cup did not help but he did come back and score a few more goals.
So I would hardly class him as waste of money so far. Let's see how he does by end of this season and then we can make a judgment.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 am

anyone who thinks needles was a waste of money is wrong on several levels. don't remember the spring of '07?
The Man In Blue

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Adebayor missed 7 games through suspension over 2 red cards that were highly controversial and that many of us were deeply unhappy about the awarding of. Aside from them the only yellow card he got last season was for celebrating in front of the Arsenal fans. Since that booking was for time-wasting it was technically incorrect as he didn't leave the field of play and he was in position for the game to restart within a normal time. I felt that he was unfairly victimised over that incident. Certainly the card against Stoke was harsh.

He had a few niggling injuries too and at the moment seems to have lost his place due to a tactical change.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Slim wrote:

Ade played 26 League matches last season and scored 14, so that's not a bad record. Can't remeber if he scored in Cup matches ?
His best form was at the begining of the season which was interrupted by the ban after the Arsenal match (was it 5 matches ?) . He also had another 3 match ban (can't remember the match in which he was red carded for an alledged elbowing foul).
The incident at the African Nations Cup did not help but he did come back and score a few more goals.
So I would hardly class him as waste of money so far. Let's see how he does by end of this season and then we can make a judgment.

Do you think he will still be here by the end of the season after his outbursts?? I think he may get shipped in January. I would really love him to prove me wrong in the mean time but not sure Roberto rates him or whats him at the club?
Sister of fu

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Slim wrote:

Do you think he will still be here by the end of the season after his outbursts?? I think he may get shipped in January. I would really love him to prove me wrong in the mean time but not sure Roberto rates him or whats him at the club?

I think Bobby explained in his interview yesterday that there was no outburst. Just a normal discussion about his injury and that he might even be in the squad against WBA (we'll see tonight). As to whether he'll still be with us by end of season, who knows. But that's another matter. And even if he goes, he'll go for a decent price, so again not a waste of money.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum