This 3 defensive midfielder malarkey!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: This 3 defensive midfielder malarkey!

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:32 am

Colin the King wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Chelsea had lampard mate. Thats where their success came from, a goal scoring midfielder.

If Silva or Milner were one of our three then we could compare.

when we bought Milner, I thought the plan was to stick him as an attacking player to that midfield trio. I've been surprised to see him play on the wing where we already have about ten full internationals fighting for places.

I'm a little surprised about that too. Think he's better suited to playing centrally. Let someone with a a bit more pace and trickery play wide and he can do the classic centre mid stuff. It'll be interesting to see what the preferred starting XI and formation is when everyone's fit- I know, rotation, but he'll have a 'best' team in mind.

The back five probably picks itself- Hart, Boateng, Touré, Kompany and Kolarov, but after that I haven't got a clue. I'd only class de Jong as a defensive midfielder of the three, but if they're all playing, we have to squeeze 3 of Tevez, Balotelli, Silva, Adebayor, AJ or SWP into the remaining spots at any one time. But who to drop? De Jong has been first class and improved a lot recently with his passing and positional sense, Barry would've probably been favourite to lose a place after last season but has been brilliant so far in this one and Touré, well, it's Touré.

Getting a headache just thinking about it, maybe Mancini isn't overpaid after all.

While this is a headache and apparently the system we are going to be using, wouldn't you like to see what we could do in a 4-4-2? Then try to fit 4(Milner, de Jong, Barry, Toure) into two.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Colin the King » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 am

Slim wrote:
Colin the King wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Chelsea had lampard mate. Thats where their success came from, a goal scoring midfielder.

when we bought Milner, I thought the plan was to stick him as an attacking player to that midfield trio. I've been surprised to see him play on the wing where we already have about ten full internationals fighting for places.

I'm a little surprised about that too. Think he's better suited to playing centrally. Let someone with a a bit more pace and trickery play wide and he can do the classic centre mid stuff. It'll be interesting to see what the preferred starting XI and formation is when everyone's fit- I know, rotation, but he'll have a 'best' team in mind.

The back five probably picks itself- Hart, Boateng, Touré, Kompany and Kolarov, but after that I haven't got a clue. I'd only class de Jong as a defensive midfielder of the three, but if they're all playing, we have to squeeze 3 of Tevez, Balotelli, Silva, Adebayor, AJ or SWP into the remaining spots at any one time. But who to drop? De Jong has been first class and improved a lot recently with his passing and positional sense, Barry would've probably been favourite to lose a place after last season but has been brilliant so far in this one and Touré, well, it's Touré.

Getting a headache just thinking about it, maybe Mancini isn't overpaid after all.

While this is a headache and apparently the system we are going to be using, wouldn't you like to see what we could do in a 4-4-2? Then try to fit 4(Milner, de Jong, Barry, Toure) into two.

Definitely mate, just think we're unlikely to see it. Hope I'm wrong. I reckon we could get away with Milner and Touré for example in some games, say AJ and SWP wide and Tevez off Mario up front. Really attacking but with enough quality to blitz a Blackpool or Wigan at home.

The 4-3-3 will be effective though I'm sure once the preferred full-backs are fit and ready, until then it does at times feel like something's not quite right.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 am

Colin the King wrote:
Slim wrote:
Colin the King wrote:

Definitely mate, just think we're unlikely to see it. Hope I'm wrong. I reckon we could get away with Milner and Touré for example in some games, say AJ and SWP wide and Tevez off Mario up front. Really attacking but with enough quality to blitz a Blackpool or Wigan at home.

The 4-3-3 will be effective though I'm sure once the preferred full-backs are fit and ready, until then it does at times feel like something's not quite right.

I think the reason we haven't tried this so far is a lack of preferred options. Mario, Kolarov and Boetang all injured and you have to wonder where Tevez and Mario would fit if we persist with the 4-3-3. I would hate to see Carlos pushed outside as we know that is not his preferred position and would limit his effectiveness.

But the first priority has to be to understand and get comfortable with this formation which is why I think no matter the personnel we will not see a change before Christmas.

I would question the sanity of anyone thinking about a formation without de Jong in it at the moment though, he is fast becoming our most important player.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dronny » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 am

I wish we had a scoring mid like Lampard, but tbf how many pens does he score a season?
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby TheGOAT » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

Dronny wrote:

I wish we had a scoring mid like Lampard, but tbf how many pens does he score a season?

He scored 22 league goals last season. The fact of the matter is we dont have a Lampard, there isnt many out there! What we do have is strong central midfielders that play in the same position but dont score the goals he does!

I would love to see Milner played in this role once Balotelli is back.
"Watch a DVD, eat some pizza
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
**** a chicken if that's what it takes...
Watch a chicken ******* a horse...
What? You think the guys at google sat around watching Trumpton?"
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 am

You can define our midfielders anyway you like, defensive, box to box or whatever. the truth is though in games against Wigan and Sunderland, who are both poor teams, we have created very little. And even Blackburn at home wasn't exactly a thrilling attacking display. It seems overly cautious.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 am

If we're gonna play 3 centre mids, then one of them should be a creative one, ie Silva or Milner.

our midfield / forward should line up

----------------Tevez

Milner/silva--Milner Silva-Jonno

----------Barry-----Yaya

to optimise our attack. I'd probably put Silva behind Tevez as Milner works back better.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 am

Watch the WBA preview part 2 on the OS. near the end Mancini is asked how long will it be before City are at their best.

Now if we had an idea because of the summer purchases, he makes it pretty clear in his reply. Boateng and Kolarov are key to his favoured plan A. i might be wrong but i see him following what Barca do and have the two FB hovering around the half way line as a basic defensive position.

Why that is mega important is pretty obvious, and Bobby states that with those two he can field 2 or 3 strikers.
When we have the ball in effect we line up as a 2-3-2-3

The 3 in front of the CBs would be Boateng - deJong - Kolarov
The 2 Mids could be Silva and Milner, or Silva and Tevez or many other combos.
The 3 up front could be AJ - Ade - Mario or a whole host of other options.

imo the key to this is the 2-3 platform at the back and in effect it matters a lot less to have any strict formation in front of it, the more flexible and fluid the better.

This is what i think i see Mancini trying to create and it is a system and a style that is not just about being successful in the Prem it is about us getting something that will take on and beat the best in Europe. That actually means Inter, Barca, Bayern, Real and fuclin Chelsea. The thing is it starts now learning how to play it.

What we are seeing at the moment is simply caution with what Bob has got and where the team are in terms of playing together. We have see already how they can pass it around, when he gets the players in that he bought we will see another level emerge and the whole 3 mids debate will just dissolve.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:43 am

lythamblue wrote:I'm getting sick of the media and even people on here commenting that we play this way..... because we actually don't.

Yes, De jong is the classic DM, he sits in front of the defence, breaks up play, wins the ball in midfield and then keeps it simple and rarely gives it away. Whereas Barry now comes late into the box and tries to create in a 'Lampard' type of a way.

Also, there was nothing defensive about Vierra against B'Burn when he tapped in a Tevez cross from 3 yards out or indeed Yaya against wigan when he slotted home from 5 yards out either. I can't remember ever seeing DeJong get into such positions.

They may be big and they may be tough, but they are certainly not deployed as 'Defensive Midfielders'!

Spot on - the only thing one-dimensional about our midfield set up is the way media and people who don't understand (IMO) comment on it

It was not that long ago almost every team (not just top teams) were able to pour through our midfield and overrun the defence - the fact that we are so strong there does not equal we are now only defensive
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum