City legends old and new

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City legends old and new

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:34 am

edgeley blue wrote:I do like John 68 comments on the historical part of our club and did once offer to give him the benefit of my own research into the club. Unfortunately he never answered my pm for whatever reason.

However, I would like to remind him and all of you that the greatest player to ever pull on a City shirt was the one and only Peter Doherty

Trying to give your opinion to a cabbie?

School boy error
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby edgeley blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 am

Patrick wrote:
edgeley blue wrote:I do like John 68 comments on the historical part of our club and did once offer to give him the benefit of my own research into the club. Unfortunately he never answered my pm for whatever reason.

However, I would like to remind him and all of you that the greatest player to ever pull on a City shirt was the one and only Peter Doherty

Trying to give your opinion to a cabbie?

School boy error

Guilty as charged Patrick
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 am

Take no heed to the "Frenchie" mate. He probably got a bump on his head when he fell off his tea tray sliding down a mountain.

To the best of my knowledge, I never got any PM about this and if it did arrive, I must have missed it. If so, my apologies. You can be assured that I am very interested in our history and don't think the club do enough to promote our heritage. I will PM you mate.

I have mentioned several times on here about Peter (the Great) Doherty and the way he particularly and others of his ilk seem to have been forgotten. The club seem to have been very remiss about publicising our heritage.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby edgeley blue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 am

john68 wrote:

Take no heed to the "Frenchie" mate. He probably got a bump on his head when he fell off his tea tray sliding down a mountain.

To the best of my knowledge, I never got any PM about this and if it did arrive, I must have missed it. If so, my apologies. You can be assured that I am very interested in our history and don't think the club do enough to promote our heritage. I will PM you mate.

I have mentioned several times on here about Peter (the Great) Doherty and the way he particularly and others of his ilk seem to have been forgotten. The club seem to have been very remiss about publicising our heritage.

No probs John, it was about a year ago tbh. It was when I read a piece you did on West Gorton St Marks, which was a great post and I was intrigued to know more and/or find out more.

I totally agree with you on why the club seems to want to eradicate 14 years of our history, it seems very strange and one reason I would never buy a shirt with 1894 on it
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby dazlebluefrog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 pm

john68 wrote:Playing Devil's advocate to my own argument...(or more likely talking to myself).

I suppose an argument could be made that by setting the bar so high the club are doing themselves a disservice and and hiding away some great club servants. Maybe we should lower the bar and shout about a larger number of players that have served the club so well.
Our Hall of Fame denies recognition to; (according to the list posted on here)
Tommy Booth...491 apps...in 13 years
Jackie Bray......459 apps...in 16 years
Eli Fletcher......459 apps...in 14 years
Paul Power.......445 apps...in 11 years
Willie Donachie..436 apps...in 10 years
Ernie Toseland...413 apps...in 16 years.

If anyone has said "WHO?" to any of those, as I have, it shows that the club really does need to crow a bit louder about its history and great heritage. Something the media would have the World think we have none of.

i agree mate i remember the 3 i've highlighted cause i was behind the goal at peterboro when Tommy scored the only goal ,also Power was our capt for a while and i was stood in the Holt end for the semi against ipswich when he scored that free kick (still rate it as one of the best moments of my life )as for willy after all he did for us its a disgrace he's not there

my two i'd like to add are Dickov more for his attitude and of course the goal against gillingham (reckon it saved us from staying down for a number of years)
the second person if it counts is "big Helen "(rip ), older lads will remember the lady sat in the north stand just behind the goals with her bell
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Edgeley,
Check your PMs mate.

I have posted this previously but for those who may have missed....I was in contact with City historian Gary James, regarding those lost 14 years and he gave his reasons for holding fire on the 1880 date as we may have been formed even earlier.

His latest research seems to lead him to think that the St Mark's football team did NOT come, as we have alweays believed, from the working mens' meeting that were set up bu Anna Connell, supported by William Beastowe and Thomas Goodbehere. Thogh there is nio proof yet, there is reason to beieve that the football team was in fact formed from the St mark's cricket team, which we know was active as early as 1875, 5 years earlier.
As far as I am aware, research into this is still ongoing.

The reasons given by the club for the 1894 date are that they consider that when Ardwick AFC died, the new Manchester City club had to reapply for League membership, which was granted. Gary James (and for what it's worth me too) feel that the Manchester City club was formed by the same personell in the same venue and was merely a new beginning for the club.

For added info, there is no record of Newton heath playing any competetive football until 1 week after the 1st recorded game by St Marks. The rags claim of being founded in 1878 is pretty groundless as all that is known about them at that time is that they were a cricket club.

If the rags claim of foundation in 1878 is as a cricket club, St Mark's, using the same criteria can justly claim a foundation date of 1875.

Sorry for hijacking that bit of thread Paddy...I just thought it would clarify stuff for Edgeley and others.
Thanks
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum