Finally back to business

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Finally back to business

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Ahhh just really delighted the international break has passed and normal service resumes tomorrow.
It's been a bit of a slow start to the season with two breaks already for internationals, the first break being complete nonsense.

Generally international breaks are a complete bore for me with the majority of fixtures being one sided affairs, the odd game being worth a watch when two decent sides play against one another.
I personally think the qualifiers are a drawn out affair and i would be all for a reduction in the number of teams involved in the group stages.
Maybe theres a case for having a pre qualifying stage for the so called minnows of international football fighting it out to make a latter stage involving the stronger sides.In the process avoiding pointless fixtures between sides where the outcome is never in doubt.At least it would ceratinly ease the fixture congestion somewhat and reduce the number of injurys suffered whilst players are on international duty.

Gladly now we have five games to get through in the space of a fortnight and the return of serious european football to look forward to.Looking forward to the game tomorrow and seeing City in action again.Bring on Benjani & co
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Finally back to business

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Thank fuck.........................I've missed every home game so far season and this will be heaven, hopefully!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gillie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:25 pm

I cant fuckin wait lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:56 pm

I wonder if you had a survey of all football fans throughout Europe, how many would actually enjoy the international breaks. Blatter & Platini & the tabloids etc love it of course but how many of the fans, if they could answer privately without being called 'unpatriotic' etc, would rather have been been watching their club sides last week than their national sides ?

International football should happen all together in small doses outside the season imo. It's an inferior product.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby razor400 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

I didn't really mind the International break, it was just like watchin City anyway. I'm gonna miss the next 10 matches after Blackburn though as I''ll be stuck in a tube protecting the free world from tyranny.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby gillie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I wonder if you had a survey of all football fans throughout Europe, how many would actually enjoy the international breaks. Blatter & Platini & the tabloids etc love it of course but how many of the fans, if they could answer privately without being called 'unpatriotic' etc, would rather have been been watching their club sides last week than their national sides ?

International football should happen all together in small doses outside the season imo. It's an inferior product.

The Internationals 3 days before the season started were imo a complete fuckin joke no need for them.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 pm

gillie wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I wonder if you had a survey of all football fans throughout Europe, how many would actually enjoy the international breaks. Blatter & Platini & the tabloids etc love it of course but how many of the fans, if they could answer privately without being called 'unpatriotic' etc, would rather have been been watching their club sides last week than their national sides ?

The Internationals 3 days before the season started were imo a complete fuckin joke no need for them.

Even the Spanish players didn't want to play then, in fact judging by the Argentina result they probably didn't want to play this week either.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Agreed Ted small doses is the way forward for international football.Almost everyone enjoys a big tournament in the off season even the not so ardent football fans show an interest.
I think an overwhelming majority on here would rather be watching city than their national side.The quality of some of the sides in the qualifying stages are so low its not funny and the football on show really suffers for it.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Green & Blue wrote:

Agreed Ted small doses is the way forward for international football.Almost everyone enjoys a big tournament in the off season even the not so ardent football fans show an interest.
I think an overwhelming majority on here would rather be watching city than their national side.The quality of some of the sides in the qualifying stages are so low its not funny and the football on show really suffers for it.

Well England are proof that the international breaks during the season had no bearing on the actual tournament performance whatsoever. Why not play domestic games in place of the mid season internationals, finish the season earlier & do the qualifiers/tournaments after the season finishes? Surely as all the tournaments take place then, it would be better practice for teams to do their international stuff, qualifiers & friendlies, at that time, in those conditions?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I agree about the need for a pre qualifying round. England vs Andorra is just pointless IMO and it does countries such as Andorra and San Marino getting fucked every time they put on the shirt but then having a pre qualifying round would be pointless as there would be gaps in the calender when the South American, African and Asian qualifiers are going on, all that would happen then is international friendlies which are even more pointless.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Bear60 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 pm

razor400 wrote:I didn't really mind the International break, it was just like watchin City anyway. I'm gonna miss the next 10 matches after Blackburn though as I''ll be stuck in a tube protecting the free world from tyranny.

Good on ya mate.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 am

I'm glad the international break is over but I can't agree with this fuck the minnows attitude. It's not what football is about. It'll be easy to forget in our success that not every team is an fortunate as we are, plenty of fans were just as passionate when we were shit.

There have been some great games involving minnows and some teams have gone through strong and weak patches. Sometimes international football can be frustrating but there are lots of matches in the calendar that could be considered to be of less interest.

People are happy with early cup ties and all the history there, but how is that any different from dead rubber internationals. The same people who are complaining about attendance in the qualifying rounds of the Europa Cup are sometimes the ones who are complaining about having to put up with internationals that they're not that interested in.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:38 am

Thank fucl the international break is over. It never seemed to end.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to The Maine Football forum