Joe Hart's overconfidence with backpasses

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Joe Hart's overconfidence with backpasses

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:00 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:The most important attribute in a goalkeeper is nerve and being a commanding decisive presence. It's why all [b]the top teams in the world have a keeper aged 30+,[/b] its something you only develop with maturity and experience. Hart will get it in time but his time isn't now for this level.

Real dangerous place for him now, he's getting negativity this week so is probably feeling the heat and he'll know all eyes will be on him next game now. Another gaff and his confidence will plummet, could be the end of him for a while like with Ben Foster. Always think it's a bad idea to put youngsters in such an important position, pressure kills them eventually.

Er, I think that Iker Casilles for Real M and Victor Valdes at Barca both gained regular spots at age similar to Joe. Also Peter Shilton was Joe's age when he stated playing for England.

I suppose it all depends on the quality of the player.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ScapeGoat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:14 pm

So how many mistakes before Given gets the spot ?
ScapeGoat
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:47 pm

First mistake i have ever seen from Joe yesterday.

So what? It starts becoming a problem if he regulary does it. Once in 70 odd games is not a problem.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ronk » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:31 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:First mistake i have ever seen from Joe yesterday.

So what? It starts becoming a problem if he regulary does it. Once in 70 odd games is not a problem.

He jumped over a penalty against Sunderland. 2 games, 2 goals, 2 mistakes responsible for those goals.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 pm

ronk wrote:

He jumped over a penalty against Sunderland. 2 games, 2 goals, 2 mistakes responsible for those goals.

to be fair a penalty is a wild west style gunfight. one choice, and if it's the wrong one you're fucked. imo vs bent joe guessed his shot would be higher, and once he'd made that choice trying to adjust was almost impossible.

no excuses for him and kolo this time though, shocking failure in communication.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 am

The Man In Blue wrote:
ronk wrote:

to be fair a penalty is a wild west style gunfight. one choice, and if it's the wrong one you're fucked. imo vs bent joe guessed his shot would be higher, and once he'd made that choice trying to adjust was almost impossible.

no excuses for him and kolo this time though, shocking failure in communication.

No one's perfect, it happens, but that penalty was saveable. You have to be pretty special to keep Shay Given on the bench, so I think it's fair to hold him to a higher standard.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby steve isle of man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 am

I hope this is not going to lead to a Weaver-esque descent into comedy.
Remember how Weaver in the Prem under Royle thought he could dribble it out like Kinkladze or Higuita and got made to look a right chump. Was it Villa where he gifted them a goal when we were winning and turned the game?
steve isle of man
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum