Could we play a 442 formation?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Could we play a 442 formation?

Postby gillie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 pm

With the midfielders we have i for one think we could but a certain Mr Barry would have to be a bench warmer.The reason i ask this question is it is blindingly obvious that Carlos needs help up front.So come on guys answer the question could we or not and if not why.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Could we play a 442 formation?

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm

We should play without a striker like Spain for some games, so forget 4-4-2 imo
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Chad » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I think that we could get away with a variation of it in certain home games where we are almost certain that the oppostion are going to set up shop and play for a 0-0 or a breakaway goal. In these games we could probably leave out Barry and NDJ and play Toure in a more disciplined role with Silva at the head of a diamond behind two strikers.

At the very highest level though, I think 442 is dead and buried as the midfield will be over run against teams with an extra body in there, especially away from home. Just looking at Liverpool's visit to COMS and Spurs' trip to Young Boys shows that playing away with only 2 central midfielders means you lose control of the game against decent opposition.

In the World Cup the only team that got anywhere who played anything like a 442 were Uruguay and their two centre midfielders were both holding players like we saw from teams like Brazil and Holland.
Chad
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:31 pm

No.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Grob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:39 pm

If we practiced it enough, yes.

We could play any formation
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby dazby » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Not sure that's a good enough reason Gillie. The 4 2 3 1 and it's mutations is here to stay.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Teams that play 4-4-2 properly, have wide players who deliver regular quality into the penalty area, high, low, long, short & forwards who sniff out where the ball will end up, near post far post etc, like rags & Spurs do.

We have wide players who rarely create a goal from that position & forwards who wander around anywhere but in position to score from such a ball. Other than the Adebayor Arsenal header, how many goals have we scored like that? I bet Darren Fletcher has as many goals like that as all our forwards put together. People go up their own arses with highbrow tactical shite about how you 'don't need' to do that; well with 4-4-2 yes you fucking do. Otherwise you're playing the wrong formation.

Mancini has said he plans to use it sometimes but imo it was Hughes' & Mancini's biggest mistake last season. If we do use it, I'd rather have Kolarov & Boateng playing wide midfield than any of our wide players as they are better than our official widemen at delivering the ball from there (& that includes Milner).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 pm

could we? yes!

but why on earth would we want to? even harder to break down teams that set up for 0-0 if you are outnumbered in central midfield!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 pm

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 means at least 3 players getting forwards. Why would we therefore want to go with just 2 against poorer teams and surrender midfield as well?

Apart from Spurs, no top team plays 4-4-2. I suspect there's a reason for that
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Kladze » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:54 pm

4-4-2 is rapidly being consigned to the dustbin of history just as forcibly as the 2-3-5 formation was which I began watching football to - and rightly so.

4-3-3, 4-5-1 and their variants are much more flexible and, has as been pointed out they don't get swallowed up in central midfield.

4-4-2 also doesn't suit slick passing teams, the kind of team I hope (and believe) that Mancini is trying to provide us with.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:39 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 means at least 3 players getting forwards. Why would we therefore want to go with just 2 against poorer teams and surrender midfield as well?

Rags still use it often when attacking & often don't have a defensive midfielder either. The main reason it fails is imo down to lack of quality genuine defenders that don't need so much help, midfield players who can do all jobs rather than just one, wingers who can attack & defend & produce quality & tough strikers who can either hold or attack the ball. If we met a team playing 4-4-2 that had Colin Bell & R** Ke**e in midfield with people like Mike Doyle & Tony Book behind them, Summerbee & Coppell on the wings with Shearer & Ferdinand up front, it would fuck us up badly & shove our 4-5-1 up our arses. We'd have no defense against it. Luckily we only have to deal with Spurs, which is still a struggle for us at the moment but we're getting there.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:39 am

442 becomes more effective as teams get less used to countering it. We have the players to allow us to setup differently. Against teams like Liverpool, I've always thought that the midfield battle is key so 442 isn't really possible without a very well worked out system.

Ireland are using it at the moment and you can see that they're still learning it and adapting. But it's become quite effective and adaptable for us. I'm not sure if the strength of 442 lies in switching to it when chasing the game and therein lies the problem. What we are likely to need is a way to change gears for when we're chasing goals.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 am

What do Chelsea play? I'd argue they play 442 quite often and they won the league.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:35 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:What do Chelsea play? I'd argue they play 442 quite often and they won the league.

alright, let's hear your argument and the support.

I don't think they played a standard 442 but I'd be interested to hear your side
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Kladze » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:10 am

kinkylola wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:What do Chelsea play? I'd argue they play 442 quite often and they won the league.

alright, let's hear your argument and the support.

I don't think they played a standard 442 but I'd be interested to hear your side

Chelsea play a very flexible 4-3-3 ... which, as it happens, is what Mancini is trying to get us to do.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 am

Chelsea sometimes now play a midfield 'diamond' when they use 2 strikers so you could sort of call it 4-4-2 but I don't. Mourinho often played 4-3-3 especially when Robben was available but I would describe Ancelotti's system as 4-1-2-1-2 when Anelka & Drogba play & they user also various 4-3-3 type formations. Although I haven't particularly studied them this season, I wouldn't say we see 4-4-2 that often with Chelsea.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Kladze » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Chelsea sometimes now play a midfield 'diamond' when they use 2 strikers so you could sort of call it 4-4-2 but I don't. Mourinho often played 4-3-3 especially when Robben was available but I would describe Ancelotti's system as 4-1-2-1-2 when Anelka & Drogba play & they user also various 4-3-3 type formations. Although I haven't particularly studied them this season, I wouldn't say we see 4-4-2 that often with Chelsea.

Precisely.
It's a 4-3-3 which can be effectively and seamlessly switched to the diamond formation (or 4-5-1 when defending - or for the whole game, as the situation demands)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:43 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 means at least 3 players getting forwards. Why would we therefore want to go with just 2 against poorer teams and surrender midfield as well?

Rags still use it often when attacking & often don't have a defensive midfielder either. The main reason it fails is imo down to lack of quality genuine defenders that don't need so much help, midfield players who can do all jobs rather than just one, wingers who can attack & defend & produce quality & tough strikers who can either hold or attack the ball. If we met a team playing 4-4-2 that had Colin Bell & R** Ke**e in midfield with people like Mike Doyle & Tony Book behind them, Summerbee & Coppell on the wings with Shearer & Ferdinand up front, it would fuck us up badly & shove our 4-5-1 up our arses. We'd have no defense against it. Luckily we only have to deal with Spurs, which is still a struggle for us at the moment but we're getting there.

I'd largely agree with this. Proper defenders. Midfield players doing the full range of defending and attacking and wingers that take players on, beat them, going to the line and crossing, rather than all this cutting back inside bollox.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Socrates » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I'd largely agree with this. Proper defenders. Midfield players doing the full range of defending and attacking and wingers that take players on, beat them, going to the line and crossing, rather than all this cutting back inside bollox.

Crossing to who? Nial Quinn doesn't play for us anymore. How many times does AJ have to cut in and play a killer pass/score/create havoc and win a penalty before the penny finally drops with people?
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am

It's all about flexibility and fluidity.England played a 4.4.2 in theory last friday but in reality it was more a 4.4.1.1 with Shrek dropping deep. You could argue that it was actually a 4.2.3.1 with the 2 wide players joining Shrek behind Defoe and Gerrard and Barry sitting a little in midfield to dictate the play. The wide players with Shrek and the two full backs are given a lot of licence to get forward so you potentially have a veryattacking line up. But if the manager so decides it can also be a cautioary line up if the manager puts the reins on players getting forward.

I think it's quite funny when systems are referred to all the time but most of what I see is not that regimented.I don't think Tevez will ever be an orthadox part of a 4.4.2 as he likes to come so deep looking for the ball but that's fine when others can run past him to make it so difficult for defenders to know what to do. All of it though depends on quality of players and their understanding of what's going on.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum