Progress - next 6 games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Progress - next 6 games

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:25 pm

a full mixed bag of games and comps to take in. In the prem the run up to Chelsea at home is all important. With Balotelli and perhaps Boateng coming back into contention the key thing still is game time and getting to know each others play. It seems that the are we most need to come up to speed in is the attack. It has been the final 3rd that we have struggled to be cohesive and while we have nothing to fear going into any game imo it still remains to get a sharpness up front. With only 2 days between WBA and Chelsea it will be interesting who is going o be starting the CC game. Blackburn and Wigan give us a chance to gain some vital playing time together against known opposition and it will be those 'unglamourous' games that we need to see some improvements in communication up front in order to get some points on the board. I suppose we are all hoping that Mario will bring some much needed diversity and energy to the attack and basically prove to be the catalyst we so far seem to lack.

11 September H Blackburn Rovers
16 September A Red Bull Salzburg
19 September A Wigan Athletic
22 September A West Bromwich Albion
25 September H Chelsea
30 September H Juventus
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Progress - next 6 games

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 pm

We'll win all the home ones and struggle in the aways, which will go on to be something of a theme to our season.

imo.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:We'll win all the home ones and struggle in the aways, which will go on to be something of a theme to our season.

imo.

thats a bit gloomy.. what if anything do you base that view on?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Absolutely must beat Wigan and Blackburn, and put out a full strength team against Chelsea as well. Not too worried about the other 3 fixtures to be honest.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:16 pm

11 September H Blackburn Rovers
25 September H Chelsea
30 September H Juventus

I think we will win all them games apart from the Chelsea game that will be a draw.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:11 September H Blackburn Rovers
25 September H Chelsea
30 September H Juventus

I think we will win all them games apart from the Chelsea game that will be a draw.

Yeah honestly expect us to be winning all those games up until Chelsea.I think the Chelsea and Juventus games will be a more level playing ground.Just hope we start to click upfront, playing some lovely passing football and the defence looks rock solid but realy need to start creating more chances.Tevez upfront on his own is not working so far and i hope Mancini bloods Balotelli in the league asap.We need more options upfront as Tevez just cant seem to not drift back and try and get himself involved more.Not complaining about Tevez drifting back really as he works so hard and does close down and cause problems and i really appreciate that part of his game.Just feel playing him as a lone striker is not going to work for us.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:We'll win all the home ones and struggle in the aways, which will go on to be something of a theme to our season.

imo.

I didn't say we'd lose I said I think we'll struggle.

I'm basing it on performances so far this season, what are you basing your outlook on?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

imo.

I didn't say we'd lose I said I think we'll struggle.

I'm basing it on performances so far this season, what are you basing your outlook on?

it was your theme for the whole season i thought was a bit gloomy.

I haven't really stated what i think we will do.. so im copping out. But as you ask, i think being off the pace or lack of spark upfront might have consequences for the season if we dont sort that out in the short term. ie we may not get results that we need in this early part of the season to stay in with a shout of top 3. Im no so worried longer term though as we have good enough players in attack from last season and additions that should add to that.
So i suppose it comes down to the price we will pay until we start to click on a consistent basis.
Performances so far this season suggest to me we can boss games both home and away mainly due to the talent in midfield and solid enough at the back. If i had a concern it would be that if we continue to compress teams into their own half we will have to be even more incisive and together to cut them open in their area.. and that may take time and certain players to be on form. Tevez, Ade, Sliva and Balotelli. Im not really expecting that anytime soon tbh and think that we will have to rely on the midfield for some goals to unlock teams. Milner, Barry, Yaya, AJ, SWP etc.
If we get those opening goals though i think we will take some teams apart. If we cant.. as with Sunderland we may start to get frustrated both in midfield and attack.. and that may set us back a bit if it happens a few times.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:55 pm

i expect to compete effectively and win every match. i can't even pretend like i think the next 6 have any more bearing on who we are than the next 2 or 4 or 8...

i can't be arsed to see how this next 6 or the 6 after or the 6 after that are going to be more or less important tbh.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby gillie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:54 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:i expect to compete effectively and win every match. i can't even pretend like i think the next 6 have any more bearing on who we are than the next 2 or 4 or 8...

i can't be arsed to see how this next 6 or the 6 after or the 6 after that are going to be more or less important tbh.

cheers

Doomy i dont often agree with you but this time you are spot on my septic friend.Every game means or should mean the same.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 pm

gillie wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:i expect to compete effectively and win every match. i can't even pretend like i think the next 6 have any more bearing on who we are than the next 2 or 4 or 8...

cheers

Doomy i dont often agree with you

i can see your nose growing from here...horrible, terrible lies.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Grob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 pm

One game at a time
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 am

Grob wrote:One game at a time

Absolutely, it's way too early to be extrapolating on the limited results so far. The key lesson so far would be not to extrapolate, winning against Liverpool isn't so special when you lose against Sunderland.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 am

I cant believe all the one-game-at-a-a-time lickers cant see any difference from the team at the end of last season to what we have seen so far this season... unless of course you are just going off results.

In concession though, Blackburn is on Sat.. what progress would you like to see/ expect ? 4-4-2 ;)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 am

brite blu sky wrote:I cant believe all the one-game-at-a-a-time lickers cant see any difference from the team at the end of last season to what we have seen so far this season... unless of course you are just going off results.

In concession though, Blackburn is on Sat.. what progress would you like to see/ expect ? 4-4-2 ;)

Progress? It's a match. We should win it. That would be progress.

Thanks
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:37 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:I cant believe all the one-game-at-a-a-time lickers cant see any difference from the team at the end of last season to what we have seen so far this season... unless of course you are just going off results.

Progress? It's a match. We should win it. That would be progress.

Thanks

i see where your coming from there.. very clever.

Ta
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Kladze » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:32 pm

I think Ronk had it about right.

Extrapolation is bad for your eyesight

............ or summat ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:54 pm

ronk wrote:
Grob wrote:One game at a time

Absolutely, it's way too early to be extrapolating on the limited results so far. The key lesson so far would be not to extrapolate, winning against Liverpool isn't so special when you lose against Sunderland.

A this year versus last year analysis is always worthwhile though when comparing points alone to see if progress is taking shape.

Team.............09/10...........10/11
Spurs (A)...........1................0
Liverpool (H).......3................1
Sunderland (A).....0...............1

Blackburn (H)......3
Wigan (A)..........1
Chelsea (H)........3
Newcastle* (H).....1
*Subbed with Burnley

To improve on last year we need to take 9 points or more from these league games.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 pm

MRM should it be the other way around for 09/10 10/11

Team.............10/11...........09/10
Spurs (A)...........1................0
Liverpool (H).......3................1
Sunderland (A).....0...............1

2pts more than corresponding fixtures from last season. That i think is an improvement.. could it be progress?

Blackburn (H)......3
Wigan (A)..........1
Chelsea (H)........3
Newcastle* (H).....1
*Subbed with Burnley
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Yep it should be the other way around :-)

I'll be keeping a close eye on progress this season - you can see from this graph where the peaks and troughs are from the previous season so it will be good to see if we can keep up with the peaks and keep on going through the troughs.

MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum