Tonight's Euro qualification games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Tonight's Euro qualification games

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Interesting piece on it here Coca

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... world-cup-

Good read, however, how did they get the money to invest that much? Because Euro must have cost them a fortune.

I remember Germany doing something like this after the fiasco at Euro 2004, they changed the whole youth systems and now they are promoting kids on a daily basis, but for them is easy where they got the money.

A spike in sales of Stella and sprouts in the late nineties.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:02 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
PrezIke wrote: Very well said mate. My sentiments pretty much exactly.
Hazard was looking less than second fiddle to De Bruyne until getting the pen from a stupid tackle. Hazard was mostly invisible until then but KDB was doing several good things throughout creating chances, threatening to score, and generally causing concern for B&H's defence.

Vinny was also overall thankfully good again, and Dzeko's header was class, but for City fans seeing KDB play as he did will surely raise the excitement level...It did for me.

Your comments summed the match up perfectly. Most of the pundits agreed with us and they also thought that KDB provided the majority of the goalscoring chances for Belgium.
It's obvious that KDB will be out to prove his worth to City. Let's just hope that the opposition defenders don't target him too much with tackles, like Bosnia did! I'm now looking forward to Belgium's next match against Cyprus, on Sunday.

Vinnie was decent overall but he did have a couple of brain farts that could quite easily have ended up as goals conceded. He seemed to be overegging it at times instead of just keeping things simple.

What stood out most for me about De Bruyne was his intelligence, always seemed to know the right ball to play and some of his running off the ball was clever too. If he keeps up that level of performance I can see him slotting seamlessly into City's XI.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby phips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Interesting piece on it here Coca

Thanks for that, enjoyed reading it a lot. Just found myself nodding along with the Belgians in the article and their ideas. I would have loved to have played in a team set up for everyone to learn something rather than just giving it to the two or three top players and hope that they would score. Mind, I still would've been a very lazy forward but who knows, perhaps I would've learned something more from that. Not aiming to win at all costs produces winners. I like it.

i imagine some of the info will overlap but i read this fantastic article last summer about them:

http://grantland.com/features/world-cup-2014-belgian-national-team-vincent-kompany-eden-hazard-marouane-fellaini/
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby mr_nool » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote: Noolie is just married to a Dutch girl. I don't think he supports the Oranj properly. Maybe if it can get his wife to blow him.

Yes, Noolie actually admitted earlier that he would be OK with Iceland qualifying.

I have never met anyone who actually uses football team support as an aphrodisiac or sex incentive though! In fact, looking at certain managers and players could be a total turn off from sex and everything else!

Dutch girls do like their team tho don't they?

I bet the pregnancy rates when they win during the WC or Euros skyrockets.

Cheers

My wife hates football with a passion and usually root for Germany during international tournaments just to piss "patriotic idiots off" (although she won't watch any games). After 8 years in Holland, I've naturally adopted them as my second team, but I will never get as excited or heart-broken when they plays s with Sweden.

As for the Dutch game last night I agree on all the points already made. Krul should be first keeper - hell I even think Vorm is a better keeper than Silly. And as always the Dutch were too naive, playing without a holding mid. de Jong should defo have played now that Clasie is injured.

However, the biggest mistake Blind made yesterday was to take Huntelaar off when they went down to ten men and to play Depay as lone striker. I get hit that he wanted speed for the counter, but Memphis isn't a target player who can hold the ball up.

Holland are missing the cutting edge quality they've grown used to over the years, and have not yet realised that they need to make up for it with team work.

The reasons for the demise are several, but that young talents leave the Dutch league way too soon is one of the more obvious ones.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote: Vinnie was decent overall but he did have a couple of brain farts that could quite easily have ended up as goals conceded. He seemed to be overegging it at times instead of just keeping things simple.

What stood out most for me about De Bruyne was his intelligence, always seemed to know the right ball to play and some of his running off the ball was clever too. If he keeps up that level of performance I can see him slotting seamlessly into City's XI.

Your very accurate comment brings up a conundrum, that I've often wondered about. I would assume that it is much more difficult for Kompany, to suddenly put aside personal friendships & tackle and blockade Dzeko, after spending so many years protecting & assisting Edin! Do players like Kompany, ever momentarily forget that their club teammate, is now playing for the opposition? It seemed that way, when he made a perfect pass to Dzeko, which as you noted, could have been very costly.

As for KDB, what surprised me the most, is that he was a far greater goalscoring threat, than both Hazard & Lukaku combined! When players like Benteke & Mertens are on the bench, it's obvious that KDB is an essential player for Belgium's success, in qualifying for the Euros. They are in one of the toughest groups in the competition. With the exception of Andorra, all of the teams in that group, are worthy of playing in the Euros.
Last edited by WhyAlwaysMe? on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm

mr_nool wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote: Noolie is just married to a Dutch girl. I don't think he supports the Oranj properly. Maybe if it can get his wife to blow him.

Yes, Noolie actually admitted earlier that he would be OK with Iceland qualifying.

I have never met anyone who actually uses football team support as an aphrodisiac or sex incentive though! In fact, looking at certain managers and players could be a total turn off from sex and everything else!

Dutch girls do like their team tho don't they?

I bet the pregnancy rates when they win during the WC or Euros skyrockets.

Cheers

My wife hates football with a passion and usually root for Germany during international tournaments just to piss "patriotic idiots off" (although she won't watch any games). After 8 years in Holland, I've naturally adopted them as my second team, but I will never get as excited or heart-broken when they plays s with Sweden.

As for the Dutch game last night I agree on all the points already made. Krul should be first keeper - hell I even think Vorm is a better keeper than Silly. And as always the Dutch were too naive, playing without a holding mid. de Jong should defo have played now that Clasie is injured.

However, the biggest mistake Blind made yesterday was to take Huntelaar off when they went down to ten men and to play Depay as lone striker. I get hit that he wanted speed for the counter, but Memphis isn't a target player who can hold the ball up.

Holland are missing the cutting edge quality they've grown used to over the years, and have not yet realised that they need to make up for it with team work.

The reasons for the demise are several, but that young talents leave the Dutch league way too soon is one of the more obvious ones.

so basically the last world cup got you laid because she got drunk and celebrated with a Swedish pizza?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby mr_nool » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:07 pm

I only get laid if I buy presents or vacuum the house. Football and pizza aren't part of the equation.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:10 pm

mr_nool wrote:I only get laid if I buy presents or vacuum the house. Football and pizza aren't part of the equation.

I'd be like Inspector Gadget with a goddam robot vacuum arm if it was that easy. And a trap door secret compartment in my chest with a gift every day in it for quick delivery.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for posting. Very interesting article
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dameerto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

"The number of people enrolling on the entry-level coaching course increased tenfold after the federation made it free."
But Dyke would rather impose quotas on leagues and stiffen up regulations to paper over the cracks instead of addressing one of the real issues over here: the sky-high cost of becoming a qualified coach in England.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

"The number of people enrolling on the entry-level coaching course increased tenfold after the federation made it free."
But Dyke would rather impose quotas on leagues and stiffen up regulations to paper over the cracks instead of addressing one of the real issues over here: the sky-high cost of becoming a qualified coach in England.

he must be some sort of fucking rocket scientist genius with forward thinking like that...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dameerto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 pm

I was using to illustrate two things which have both been mentioned on here several times that I can recall (at least twice by me) - that one of the things wrong with English football at the moment is a lack of qualified coaches, and that one rather major reason for this is the cost of taking those qualifications, which is well within Dyke's power to remedy instead of consulting fuckwits like Rio Ferdinand for 'solutions'.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Sounds like Silva has been tearing Slovakia apart
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:01 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Sounds like Silva has been tearing Slovakia apart

Watched silva. He was amazing last night. What a player
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby phips » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:28 pm

oh Holland...

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby blues2win » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Turan looks a good buy by Barca. As for Holland I can only say 'are you watching Cruyff Neeskens Kluijvert Gullit your boys are taking a heck of a beating'
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby city72 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:25 pm

How the fk are Wales ranked the 9th best international team in the world?
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby CTID Hants » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:16 pm

blues2win wrote:Turan looks a good buy by Barca. As for Holland I can only say 'are you watching Cruyff Neeskens Kluijvert Gullit your boys are taking a heck of a beating'

If Iceland beat Kazakhstan tonight, the Dutch are out for the first time in 30 years!

Might have to get Noolie to interpret the Dutch head lines in the morning.....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby mr_nool » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:57 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
blues2win wrote:Turan looks a good buy by Barca. As for Holland I can only say 'are you watching Cruyff Neeskens Kluijvert Gullit your boys are taking a heck of a beating'

If Iceland beat Kazakhstan tonight, the Dutch are out for the first time in 30 years!

Might have to get Noolie to interpret the Dutch head lines in the morning.....

They could still make it through the play-offs fir the third placed teams if they manage to catch Turkey.

I doubt that they will though. It's a total fucking shambles and the players look totally shot of confidence.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Belgium looking mediocre vs Cyprus and Vinny making some decisions straight out of last season

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead