Tonight's Euro qualification games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Tonight's Euro qualification games

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

This is an old thread.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:49 pm

hopefully blind will be offered the rags job when lvg gets sacked...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Watch on youtube.com
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:How did KDB look now that the ordeal is over? Does he track back?

Yes, KDB tracked back and contributed all over the pitch. He was easily the man of the match and received a standing ovation, with royalty in attendance, when he was subbed off, in the 88th minute. KDB was a combo of Silva, Navas & Fernandinho and I barely knew that Eden Hazard was on the pitch, until Hazard won a penalty kick, in the 77th minute!
KDB nearly scored another couple of goals, to add to his goal & assist.

Dzeko also had another couple of shots on goal saved and was a good captain, having taken leadership lessons from Kompany and Spahic. Vinny defended well, except for the momentary lapse, when he forgot that Dzeko was the opposition, and mistakenly played a perfect pass to Edin... Old habits die hard! The score finished a 3-1 win for Belgium.
I recommend watching a recording of the Belgium vs Bosnia match, or the highlights and make yourselves smile!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Wales.html

I also watched the highlights from the Netherlands vs Iceland match... Iceland's dreams come true, while the Dutch had a nightmare of a red card and injuries... We will have to wait for the reactions and report from Mr. Nool.
Last edited by WhyAlwaysMe? on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby PeterParker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:22 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
I also watched the highlights from the Netherlands vs Iceland match... Iceland's dreams come true, while the Dutch had a nightmare of a red card and injuries... We will have to wait for the reactions and report from Mr. Nool.

I think this is normal for the Dutch. Since i am watching this beautiful game, i have never seen Netherlands this weak and the worst thing is that nothing spectacular comes from the back. Maybe the regress that PSV, Ajax and most of all, Feyenoord had is finally reflected on their national team.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 pm

PeterParker wrote: I think this is normal for the Dutch. Since i am watching this beautiful game, i have never seen Netherlands this weak and the worst thing is that nothing spectacular comes from the back. Maybe the regress that PSV, Ajax and most of all, Feyenoord had is finally reflected on their national team.

I have not seen the full match between the Netherlands & Iceland, but most of the reports have described the team as playing in a "Blind Panic!" It's obvious that van Persie has fallen out of favour with both Louis van Gaal and Danny Blind. However, it's simply Blind stubborness to leave van Persie on the bench, and use Huntelaar, Depay & Bruma, instead.
With Robben injured, they needed the experienced goalscoring of van Persie (hard to write this, since I also detest Robin van Persie!)

It sounds like Nigel de Jong would have also done a better job of defending. I'm also not convinced that Jasper Cillessen is a more reliable keeper than Tim Krul. It seems that many new managers like to mark their authority, by making controversial changes. With a national team, such major changes can unsettle the balance of a team, that has played together for years. It will be interesting to see if Blind makes changes for their next match.
http://totaldutchfootball.com/2015/09/03/nedisl/
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:56 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:How did KDB look now that the ordeal is over? Does he track back?

Yes, KDB tracked back and contributed all over the pitch. He was easily the man of the match and received a standing ovation, with royalty in attendance, when he was subbed off, in the 88th minute. KDB was a combo of Silva, Navas & Fernandinho and I barely knew that Eden Hazard was on the pitch, until Hazard won a penalty kick, in the 77th minute!

Dzeko also had another couple of shots on goal saved and was a good captain, having taken leadership lessons from Kompany and Spahic. Vinny defended well, except for the momentary lapse, when he forgot that Dzeko was the opposition, and mistakenly played a perfect pass to Edin... Old habits die hard! The score finished a 3-1 win for Belgium.
I recommend watching a recording of the Belgium vs Bosnia match, or the highlights and make yourselves smile!

Noolie is just married to a Dutch girl. I don't think he supports the Oranj properly. Maybe if it can get his wife to blow him.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:23 am

DoomMerchant wrote: Noolie is just married to a Dutch girl. I don't think he supports the Oranj properly. Maybe if it can get his wife to blow him.

Yes, Noolie actually admitted earlier that he would be OK with Iceland qualifying.

I have never met anyone who actually uses football team support as an aphrodisiac or sex incentive though! In fact, looking at certain managers and players could be a total turn off from sex and everything else!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote: Noolie is just married to a Dutch girl. I don't think he supports the Oranj properly. Maybe if it can get his wife to blow him.

Yes, Noolie actually admitted earlier that he would be OK with Iceland qualifying.

I have never met anyone who actually uses football team support as an aphrodisiac or sex incentive though! In fact, looking at certain managers and players could be a total turn off from sex and everything else!

Dutch girls do like their team tho don't they?

I bet the pregnancy rates when they win during the WC or Euros skyrockets.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:55 am

De Bruyne really looked like he had something to prove against B&H.

Excellent game for him.

Cannot wait for him to play for us.

We will be lethal.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:04 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Very well said mate. My sentiments pretty much exactly.

Hazard was looking less than second fiddle to De Bruyne until getting the pen from a stupid tackle. Hazard was mostly invisible until then but KDB was doing several good things throughout creating chances, threatening to score, and generally causing concern for B&H's defence.

Vinny was also overall thankfully good again, and Dzeko's header was class, but for City fans seeing KDB play as he did will surely raise the excitement level...It did for me.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:13 am

Watch on youtube.com

DoomMerchant wrote: Dutch girls do like their team tho don't they?
I bet the pregnancy rates when they win during the WC or Euros skyrockets.
Cheers

So, I can only assume that you were inspired by that funny World Cup 2014 TV ad, last year?! I guess we'll know if this football baby boom is true, if and when everyone starts naming their babies Memphis, Lionel, Sergio, or Yaya!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby phips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:04 am

did he play on the right?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 am

phips wrote:did he play on the right?

Yes.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:51 am

Sort of get the feeling that Belgium is getting to the level where anyone could go in and coach them. There's so much quality in that team, not just the starting eleven but also the squad itself with players like Vermaelen, Mirallas and Benteke. Does anyone know anything about Belgian talent development? They must have done something right about 10-15 years ago anyway.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:27 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:Sort of get the feeling that Belgium is getting to the level where anyone could go in and coach them. There's so much quality in that team, not just the starting eleven but also the squad itself with players like Vermaelen, Mirallas and Benteke. Does anyone know anything about Belgian talent development? They must have done something right about 10-15 years ago anyway.

Haven't read up on it but I do know the Belgian government have some sort of tax break in place for clubs that incentivises them to invest in youth.

I'd say hosting the Euros in 2000 played its part in inspiring a generation of young kids to play football.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that but I'd say both them reasons are/were factors.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am

Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:43 am

Interesting piece on it here Coca

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... world-cup-

Thanks for that, enjoyed reading it a lot. Just found myself nodding along with the Belgians in the article and their ideas. I would have loved to have played in a team set up for everyone to learn something rather than just giving it to the two or three top players and hope that they would score. Mind, I still would've been a very lazy forward but who knows, perhaps I would've learned something more from that. Not aiming to win at all costs produces winners. I like it.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby PeterParker » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:33 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Interesting piece on it here Coca

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... world-cup-

Good read, however, how did they get the money to invest that much? Because Euro must have cost them a fortune.

I remember Germany doing something like this after the fiasco at Euro 2004, they changed the whole youth systems and now they are promoting kids on a daily basis, but for them is easy where they got the money.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:39 pm

PrezIke wrote: Very well said mate. My sentiments pretty much exactly.
Hazard was looking less than second fiddle to De Bruyne until getting the pen from a stupid tackle. Hazard was mostly invisible until then but KDB was doing several good things throughout creating chances, threatening to score, and generally causing concern for B&H's defence.

Vinny was also overall thankfully good again, and Dzeko's header was class, but for City fans seeing KDB play as he did will surely raise the excitement level...It did for me.

Your comments summed the match up perfectly. Most of the pundits agreed with us and they also thought that KDB provided the majority of the goalscoring chances for Belgium.
It's obvious that KDB will be out to prove his worth to City. Let's just hope that the opposition defenders don't target him too much with tackles, like Bosnia did! I'm now looking forward to Belgium's next match against Cyprus, on Sunday.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum