Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

Most people are saying he is a good player.However for me players come in at a certain level.Like Yaya started playing well for us from his first game.Milner's first game was outstanding and yesterday he was not the least effective of our lads on the pitch same with Vincent and NDJ.Villa scored in his La liga debut yesterday.All examples of players coming in at the level that is going to be expected of them in the future as probably close to a minimum.If, as some are saying it might take David a year to get upto speed and this is the level we are going to get from him until then well for me that is a bit of a disappointment and a long time to wait.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 am

He didn't have a pre-season so will be at least a month before we can say whether he needs a year or not ;o)
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 am

He was in the WC squad so to me that should mean his fitness should not have tailed of so much.
I don't think he is coming back from injury so that can't be a reason.
Rag_hater

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 am

Rag_hater wrote:He was in the WC squad so to me that should mean his fitness should not have tailed of so much.

in the squad but barely played, he then went on holiday and came back straight into the City squad. Bound to be behind everyone, even de Jong who played right through the tournament other than when suspended.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 am

Socrates wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:He was in the WC squad so to me that should mean his fitness should not have tailed of so much.

in the squad but barely played, he then went on holiday and came back straight into the City squad. Bound to be behind everyone, even de Jong who played right through the tournament other than when suspended.

Barely playing football for the first team wouldn't have mean't him just sitting around.I'm sure he would have to keep his fitness up to be on the bench as he was.
And as you mention it hasn't had any adverse effect on Nigel who looks far from tired from his summer exertions.
He is a pro athlete whose job it is to look after himself and be fit.
Its not like he has had to shift a couple of stones
Rag_hater

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:14 am

I do not really think that the problem is with Silva per se... I just think the rest of the team have to adapt to his thinking process. It always looks to me like he is 3,4 steps ahead of everyone in his head and then his passes do not come off because he expects people to make runs that they end up not doing. IMHO he was the player to make Valencia tick and largely responsible for making David Villa look as good as he did, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do the same at City.

I think he will need time and games to settle and get used to all the new players around him.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 am

avoidconfusion wrote:I do not really think that the problem is with Silva per se... I just think the rest of the team have to adapt to his thinking process. It always looks to me like he is 3,4 steps ahead of everyone in his head and then his passes do not come off because he expects people to make runs that they end up not doing. IMHO he was the player to make Valencia tick and largely responsible for making David Villa look as good as he did, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do the same at City.

I think he will need time and games to settle and get used to all the new players around him.

The same thing were said about Stevie.He makes runs that other players don't pick up,he makes passes the team can't read.I think him and Stevie are the same level.Sometimes outstanding and world class but generally average.And as for making Villa look good I think it was the other way round.Villa manages to find space where people can pass to him.
Rag_hater

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am

David Silva and Stephen Ireland are on the same level? I heard it all now...
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 am

Like what i see very much so far. He just needs time to get used to the English game and to us. I think from January you will see the real David Silva.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:10 am

Super fucking star. Will need more than 90 minutes before we can make a true judgment but SUPER FUCKING STAR.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 am

So why are you judging him already then?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:13 am

avoidconfusion wrote:I do not really think that the problem is with Silva per se... I just think the rest of the team have to adapt to his thinking process. It always looks to me like he is 3,4 steps ahead of everyone in his head and then his passes do not come off because he expects people to make runs that they end up not doing. IMHO he was the player to make Valencia tick and largely responsible for making David Villa look as good as he did, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do the same at City.

This is simply not true. He may well settle & be a superb player for us but blaming the other players for his current faults is way off the mark. So far he's only been good when he's kept it simple. As soon as he tries to beat players he gets pushed over & when he tries to slide a pass through the defenders are reading it immediately & stopping it easily. You can't 'read' a pass that goes straight to a group of 4 defenders because he's used to having a gap to play it through in Spain. It's his passes which have been under/over hit or just plain the wrong choice. It's his fault & his job to sort it out. At the moment, Robinho is a much better Premier League player than Silva. He needs to get sharper & learn to operate in our game.

Oh & David Villa is a better player than Silva, by some margin.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 am

Unusually vitriolic posts on here from you Ted.

What's your issue with Silva? Did you not want his signing? Never rated him?

Strangely harsh appraisal from you in the face of not all that much evidence (in a blue shirt at least)??
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby mr_nool » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 am

ant london wrote:Unusually vitriolic posts on here from you Ted.

Strangely harsh appraisal from you in the face of not all that much evidence (in a blue shirt at least)??

I agree with Ted on this one, and don't think he's overly harsh. He only judges what we've seen from Silva in a City shirt so far, which is the only thing we could do at the moment. Whether he will turn good or not is pure speculation. That he's been below par so far is a fact.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 am

ant london wrote:Unusually vitriolic posts on here from you Ted.

I love watching him for Valencia/Spain. I'm just being honest:

1) it's nonsense to suggest he 'made' David Villa as Villa scores whether he plays or not & is a better player!

2) His performances apart from a late 20 mins v Timotaeshampoo have been nothing short of tripe. He's been absolute gash. He keeps giving the ball away with diabolical speculative passes that would make Joey Barton cringe, losing the ball meekly & diving when tackled & v Sunderland, failing to try very hard to get the ball back. In short, he's as bad or worse than Robinho was when he left, & so far, not in the same class as Robinho was in his 1st season.

I hope he gets up to speed because he'a a great player but on his performances so far, he's no improvement on Robinho or Ireland & nowhere near worth a place in the team at present. Vieira was miles better than him last week too & would have done better v Sunderland.

I would love to see Silva in the team, when he's good enough.

Edit: meant Villa of course, changed it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am

Fair enough mate....for what it's worth I do agree that he's been below par but I also, unfortunately, think that for a player of his "type" the only way he'll acclimatise to the PL and start performing at the right kind of level is with gametime.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am

ant london wrote:Fair enough mate....for what it's worth I do agree that he's been below par but I also, unfortunately, think that for a player of his "type" the only way he'll acclimatise to the PL and start performing at the right kind of level is with gametime.

Probably, but we have to be careful we don't cock ourselves up trying to help a player fit in when the whole idea was; he's been signed to help us!

An interesting conundrum for me is to see what happens if Robinho stays. I think Robinho could outshine Silva (if played in games that suit him obviously) but I also think he could get Silva playing, like he did Ireland, if somehow, we could put them together. Obviously it would have to be a home game!

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
ant london wrote:Fair enough mate....for what it's worth I do agree that he's been below par but I also, unfortunately, think that for a player of his "type" the only way he'll acclimatise to the PL and start performing at the right kind of level is with gametime.

Probably, but we have to be careful we don't cock ourselves up trying to help a player fit in when the whole idea was; he's been signed to help us!

An interesting conundrum for me is to see what happens if Robinho stays. I think Robinho could outshine Silva (if played in games that suit him obviously) but I also think he could get Silva playing, like he did Ireland, if somehow, we could put them together. Obviously it would have to be a home game!

agree with all of that......I am now (guiltily I admit) actually rather hoping that Robinho has to stay.

I think there will have to be some clever management of the little shyster but if we can get him bought into City again I agree that he and Silva could do some proper damage for us
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 am

I think he will get time because Bobby bought him but it will be gradually.And hopefully he will turn out to be the player eveyone says he is.I've never seen him put in a MOM of performance and most of the time I've seen him he has been average.
Last year was better than average for him,lets hope thats the standard he has now reached.
Rag_hater

Postby Kladze » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 am

ant london wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

agree with all of that......I am now (guiltily I admit) actually rather hoping that Robinho has to stay.

I think there will have to be some clever management of the little shyster but if we can get him bought into City again I agree that he and Silva could do some proper damage for us

Only one way Silva AND Robinho will play in the same team and that's if Mancini is sacked and Daffy the duck appointed as the new manager.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum