Silva

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Silva

Postby citytilidie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Thoughts so far?
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Re: Silva

Postby King Kev » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I really like the look of him and can see him becoming a crowd favourite.

Reminds me more of Kinkladze each time I see him.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby s1ty m » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 pm

looks a bit lost, he has not sussed the pace of physical side of the english game, yet. but we know he can play. he needs playing time, obviously.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

s1ty m wrote:looks a bit lost, he has not sussed the pace of physical side of the english game, yet. but we know he can play. he needs playing time, obviously.

That's about my thoughts on him as well. Not impressed so far, but very early on.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

I said when we signed him he is far too lightweight at present. He has great skill but I really think it will be a full 12 months (i.e. next season) before he shows he is ready for the premiership week in week out.

I hope we have the patience to wait and him likewise. In the meantime he needs a good 3 months in the gym doing weights.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby xavi6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

s1ty m wrote:looks a bit lost, he has not sussed the pace of physical side of the english game, yet. but we know he can play. he needs playing time, obviously.

Some do. However I would wager a lot don't and can see folk getting on his back pretty quickly if he takes time to find his feet (which he will).

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby citytilidie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:42 pm

does anyone know how he coped in la liga vs more physical teams? i'm so hopeful for him as he was immense in euros!
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 pm

citytilidie wrote:Thoughts so far?

I think he will do really well, i rate him very highly.I have seen him play plenty of times before signing for city and have enjoyed watching him play.Hes an intelligent player and looks very comfortable on the ball and uses it well, i think once he settles and gets a run in the side he will be a key player.I can see him being a provider should chip in with plenty of assists.His delivery from set pieces on thursday night were fantastic.
Green & Blue

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 pm

He's played about 90 minutes of first team football which is clearly enough time to judge a player who has just moved to a new country.

He's shit, get rid. He can take kolarov and boating with him as well.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityGer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:55 pm

He's an absolute class act but we'll not see the best of him for a while. Adjusting to the pace and physicality of the Prem will take him some time.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:He's played about 90 minutes of first team football which is clearly enough time to judge a player who has just moved to a new country.

He's shit, get rid. He can take kolarov and boating with him as well.

Haha joker
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:30 pm

He's absolutely nowhere near it at present. Hopefully he'll get sharper but he was useless v Spurs, gave the ball away v Timmydodah (but looked much better towards the end tbf) & was absolutely appalling today.

Considering the circumstances, & the fact that he was fresh, his lack of effort to get behind the ball was every bit as bad as the worst of Robinho or Ireland. I think all of the signings we've made look as if they'll be a success but Silva has a long way to go. He is a double for Aquillani right now. We know he has the talent but he's not worth a place at present & has more competition to come, including perhaps Robinho, who will outshine him if he doesn't improve.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Crossie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Agreed about him needing some time, big change, first time not playing in Spain, after Christmas I think we should start seeing an improvement. I just hope he is realistic enough to know that he isnt currently going to be starting many league games.

Cup games, sure stick him in and use them as getting up the speed games.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Crossie wrote:Agreed about him needing some time, big change, first time not playing in Spain, after Christmas I think we should start seeing an improvement. I just hope he is realistic enough to know that he isnt currently going to be starting many league games.

Cup games, sure stick him in and use them as getting up the speed games.

We need to have a nice solid midfield behind him if he's going to play, even in cup games imo. He'll lose the ball a fair bit against battling teams & we need people to be aware of that & ready to cover & get it back.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby irblinx » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:34 pm

He looks to be still a month away from getting up to pace and knowing his teammates runs, that will of course depend on him getting plating time with t he first 11 unlike this week
irblinx

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 pm

He was on for ten minutes and showed willing to get back and help defend, I saw him nick the ball near our box then launch a counter attack running with it almost the full length of the pitch, I don't think he's too far away from being up to speed for the Prem, no idea where he stands on match fitness though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:36 pm

People here bring up the "speed" of the Prem, and the physical nature of the game. I think both are valid points, but to be fair, it's not as if he's some plodding donkey who has good foot-skill. He is lightning quick, with excellent touch and vision. He could be our best creator in midfield.. IF he gets the PT.

Silva is not the type of player you can just bring on for 10 minutes at the end. I truly feel he needs to be on the pitch for 60+. I have no idea why Mancini played De Jong in the middle, and not Silva, but that is another argument.

If Silva gets regular PT, and thus develops good chemistry with Tevez, AJ, and Milner? I can only imagine how good those four would be at reading each other, moving into space, setting up dummy runs etc... Those four could be shockingly good. Only if... Mancini decides to field an offensive team, rather than one that's half-minded about playing like Stoke City, while the other half wants to play like Barca. (Or sometimes, it's much more slanted towards the tough-nosed defensive team, in which case we witness mind-boggling decisions, like putting Tevez up top, alone)
Citeh&Crew

Postby horlock2000 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:10 am

I agree with the last 2 post but "tedhughes" you are exagerrating fella im afraid! How can you compare hi to Aquilani?! The just a joke and it very easy to pick on a play maker for his work rate but im afraid you cant do this with Silva cos he will work hard for the team.
Its worth noting that Yaya is playin in Silvas position at the moment so he will have to drop back to a conventional midfielder when Silvas up and running
horlock2000
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Grob » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:28 am

A country mile away from the required level.

But he has the talent to get there
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am

Question is, does he NEED space to play. If he does then he will struggle in the Prem. What I've seen of him suggests he doesn't though. His feet and his brain both seem quick. So while he may find the physicality difficult to adjust to, I reckon he will be making some major contributions once both physically fit and match fit.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum