Tevez up front on his own

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tevez up front on his own

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 pm

is never going to work away from home and will not work all the time at home either.

No matter how good we may become at passing without a targetman to hold the ball up we will never get vital possession in the opposition's penalty area. Tevez drops too deep and roams all over to be the focal point of our attack.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Tevez up front on his own

Postby sandman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Totally agree, he doesnt have the height or the strength to be a lone man, he was never used in the right way at the swamp and didnt set the world on fire, he came here and was used correctly and became one of the best strikers in the best league in the world.

Why change a successful formula?
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:is never going to work away from home and will not work all the time at home either.

No matter how good we may become at passing without a targetman to hold the ball up we will never get vital possession in the opposition's penalty area. Tevez drops too deep and roams all over to be the focal point of our attack.

Agree. Sometimes we are playing 4-3-3-0 when Tevez drops deep, we've no focal point at all to our attacking play. It's annoying.
It can be beautiful though when it works.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby dazby » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Yaya"s not tall enough? He was up there plenty.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:13 pm

The whole 1 up front is the mentality is boring. 4-4-2 with proper wingers on either flank. Love it.

Who goes best with Tevez though? Noone has really stood out, to put it nicely.
MARKMAKAVELI

Postby peg-6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:14 pm

dazby wrote:Yaya"s not tall enough? He was up there plenty.

Yaya has to go up because there is nobody there. He is not supposed to be there.
peg-6
Robinho's Step Over

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:24 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:is never going to work away from home and will not work all the time at home either.

Dont agree at all MRM. We dont need to play with a target man and i dont think we are going to play that way. We are building a way of passing through teams similar to Barca (imo) and it will take time. The few times we still lamp it up field are a residue of the way players have been used to in English football. We are learning to build from the back and not just bypass the midfield, it can be frustrating and does make you think sometimes that a more direct approach would be useful sometimes, but i think that Mancini is trying to get the players to play a different style and wont want them reverting to type.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:29 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

Dont agree at all MRM. We dont need to play with a target man and i dont think we are going to play that way. We are building a way of passing through teams similar to Barca (imo) and it will take time. The few times we still lamp it up field are a residue of the way players have been used to in English football. We are learning to build from the back and not just bypass the midfield, it can be frustrating and does make you think sometimes that a more direct approach would be useful sometimes, but i think that Mancini is trying to get the players to play a different style and wont want them reverting to type.

What makes Chelsea and United different to Arsenal? When they need a goal in the last 10 mins they bombard the opposition's box with ball after ball after ball. They play to win the game, not to look good passing the ball around the back line. To win things you need to learn how to win ugly.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Crossie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:35 pm

The idea behind it is the movement that Milner, Johnson, Yaya, or SWP and Silva can give up along with Tevez, we are not playing long ball, we are play clever pass and move, short passing game, runs into space, its pretty, it looks like Arsenal use to, I like it.

It works because once we settle and perfect it, you cant defend against it for 90 mins.

Tevez is just the fulcrum, he drifts all over the place pulling the centre backs apart, the other 2 in the 3 upfront are meant to drift into Tevez's position and play it about all fancy and the goals will come from all over.

It will work.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby CityGer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Dazby in completely missing the point shocker.

I read the other week that you had 'dummed down your style and stopped explaining your views in full.'...adjusting to the audience, I think you caled it? I'd bin that approach if I were you as you come across as fucking clueless on most issues lately...... I genuinely mean that.

Agree with the OP, we need a focal point up front away from home. Not only does it give us an extra attacking option but it takes the heat of our defence. Really surprised that Bobby is going down this route. The vast majority of Italian managers build their team around a target man.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Kladze » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 pm

CityGer wrote:

I read the other week that you had 'dummed down your style and stopped explaining your views in full.'...adjusting to the audience, I think you caled it? I'd bin that approach if I were you as you come across as fucking clueless on most issues lately...... I genuinely mean that.

Agree with the OP, we need a focal point up front away from home. Not only does it give us an extra attacking option but it takes the heat of our defence. Really surprised that Bobby is going down this route. The vast majority of Italian managers build their team around a target man.

Steady on mate :-(
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby CityGer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Kladze wrote:
CityGer wrote:

Why? I'm expressing an opinion. I felt I did it in a polite and considerate manner.

Dazby has completely missed the point of the O/P and has given us his usual throw away remark.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby tchumatu » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Football without strikers? It seems unthinkable, but Carlos Alberto Parreira, who led Brazil to World Cup glory in 1994, predicts 4-6-0 as the formation of the future

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/08/euro2008
Roberto Mancini was the man who brought us our first trophy in 35 years. He was the man that brought us our first league title in 44 years. He brought us one of the greatest moments of our lives. He masterminded a 6-1 win at Old Trafford, and a Wembley win over United. He challenged Ferguson, he argued with him on the touchline, he brought success, and he punched the air in delight with the rest of us at the madness of it all. He had style, panache and a winning smile.All those memories he gave us will never be forgotten, in a wonderful period in this club’s long history.
And I swear, we’ll never see anything like it again.
tchumatu
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

My favourite player is: Bell

Postby CityGer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 pm

CityGer wrote:
Kladze wrote:
CityGer wrote:

Why? I'm expressing an opinion. I felt I did it in a polite and considerate manner.

Dazby has completely missed the point of the O/P and has given us his usual throw away remark.

He's saying that because Yaya makes the odd forward run, we don't need a target man. It's nonesense, absolute bullshit and these one liner, throw away, piles of shit are fast becoming his MO on here.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:13 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

What makes Chelsea and United different to Arsenal? When they need a goal in the last 10 mins they bombard the opposition's box with ball after ball after ball. They play to win the game, not to look good passing the ball around the back line. To win things you need to learn how to win ugly.

i agree, but we are only as good as those teams on paper.. they have had a lot of practice to get that attitude and collective intensity.. and even then they also occasionally go down without a proper fight albeit quite rarely.
Too many of our players took their foot of the gas in the second half and it showed. While they are getting to know each others play it is vital to be playing at high intensity to make up for the lack of cohesion even against weaker teams. i have seen Barca go down in similar fashion to some of the weakest teams in la liga, so it can happen to anyone.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Never an out-and-out striker. Had a very poor game today, which can happen from time to time but why was he such a selfish cunt?!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Crossie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Your target man crashed his car and has done his knee in, and I fully expect a Torres style season of 25 games from him, none of which he is fully fit for. But still get 15 goals.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm

i agree with OP, problem is, is ade the answer at the moment? based on his performances so far id say no, which leaves us with Jo whos not a target man.

options are throw RSC a lifeline or make a move in transfer market before tues, i dont think we will get where we want to get with our current frontline especially as Ade is all over the place. if he gets his act together he can be the man we need but do we have time for that??
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 pm

It did work for me. We should have been 2 up at half time. We can't miss chances like that & finish top 4, whatever the formation. Logical argument about the formation goes out of the window when that happens. We should have just taken the point.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby gillie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It did work for me. We should have been 2 up at half time. We can't miss chances like that & finish top 4, whatever the formation. Logical argument about the formation goes out of the window when that happens. We should have just taken the point.

Exactly Ted i bet Tevez would score that sitter he missed 99 times out 100 today was the ton.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum