SHAUN IS 'BACK HOME' AT MANCHESTER CITY

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

SHAUN IS 'BACK HOME' AT MANCHESTER CITY

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:13 pm

SHAUN Wright-Phillips has been there, done that and got the T-shirt that says ‘Big money buys success’.

Having been an early recruit to the Roman Abramovich-Jose Mourinho revolution at Stamford Bridge – Chelsea splashed out £21million on him in 2005 – Wright-Phillips is now ‘back home’ at Manchester City, enjoying the benefits of another billionaire owner.

And he says City, with Roberto Mancini’s management and Sheikh Mansour’s money, can ram the carping back down the throats of their Premier League rivals and match, or even beat, Chelsea’s trophy strike rate.

“The lads are not paying any attention to what people are saying outside,” said Wright-Phillips, who scored City’s first goal against FC Timisoara on Thursday as they cruised into the Europa League group stages.

“Chelsea went through the same thing with everyone talking about them. It is part and parcel of football and people are just trying to throw our concentration off.

“As long as we stay focused, we will be fine. We enjoy training, we mix off the pitch and we go out there and let our football do the talking. What is happening with City is similar to Chelsea in terms of buying big-name players, but the manager is different as he will use all the players here.

“I can see the manager giving people chances to play and we can be as successful as Chelsea if we have the right work ethic.

“I went to Chelsea and learnt a lot. The supporters were fantastic and supported me, but I am back home now and it would be nice to help City win things having come through the ranks. I am now in an up-and-coming team.”

Certainly results this season would back up Wright-Phillips’ optimistic assessment. City have yet to concede a goal in four matches, have breezed into the Europa League group stages, convincingly beaten Liverpool and managed a creditable draw at Tottenham.

Wright-Phillips left Stamford Bridge with medals for winning the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup – but feeling largely unfulfilled.

City received an immediate reward on their £9m investment when he scored twice in a 3-0 victory at Sunderland, where he will return tomorrow hoping for a repeat.

“It was strange because I had just come back and did not expect to play at Sunderland,” he said. “I had just met up with the team, travelled up there and managed to score twice. It would be great to have a repeat of that.

“When I came back here it was like coming home. It was like I had been on a long holiday, learning and playing under a different manager and then I came back. The challenge for me now is to help this club to go to the places it wants to go and achieve the goals it wants to achieve. I’m excited about all the players coming in as we learn from each other and there is a great team spirit.

“We all give something different to the team and there will be times when we are all needed in different parts of the game and areas of the field. That is why the manager has kept the likes of me here. I’m very confident in my ability that I can play my part.”

Having not conceded a goal for over seven hours, City will travel to the North-east in confident mood, even though Sunderland’s home form – they lost only three times at the Stadium of Light last season – suggests it could be a tight contest. Wright-Phillips added: “I know they are good at home, but the starting point for us is defending. It is always something we needed to work on.

“In the past we had to score two goals or more to win a game. Now we have that solidity at the back and we can win a game 1-0. There is a lot of communication at the back and that has helped us to be so solid.

“Everybody has settled in and is speaking their mind. It is a vocal side and, compared to when I came back two years ago, the quality has risen. It is a more technical side. Players are a lot better on the ball.

“Now we have learnt to slow the game down when we want and speed it up when we want, rather than just fast, fast, fast – and that has benefited us.”

express.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: SHAUN IS 'BACK HOME' AT MANCHESTER CITY

Postby Blue in the face » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Great, if short, insight into the players attitude and work. Sounds like good team spirit too. Certainly instills even more confidence in my ambitions for the club this year.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:02 am

Good lad Shaun, a positive and realistic take on thinhs. Think it helps that he was at Chelsea and knows what the score is re having a top 4 squad.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:04 am

Now, hows about you put in a decent performance?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby dazby » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:31 am

Good story that. Now shut those up on here that slag you off with some vintage Sweepiness.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:39 am

dazby wrote:Good story that. Now shut those up on here that slag you off with some vintage Sweepiness.

Yeah great story, after a year of shit, lets hope he bucks up
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 am

Fuck all of you, come on Shauny....some of us remember the pure electricity every time you touched the ball, get it back son.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:27 am

Slim wrote:Fuck all of you, come on Shauny....some of us remember the pure electricity every time you touched the ball, get it back son.

I'm with you brother, and I do hope he is with us for years to come. We need to keep players who you can immediately identify with, and Shaun's one of them.

PS. I'd love to see him played in a more central attacking role.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:55 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Slim wrote:Fuck all of you, come on Shauny....some of us remember the pure electricity every time you touched the ball, get it back son.

I'm with you brother, and I do hope he is with us for years to come. We need to keep players who you can immediately identify with, and Shaun's one of them.

His touch would let him down there I believe. When playing on the wing he has that extra yard to use for his tricks. If he played in CAM role I think he would keep losing the ball much more.

But agree with Slim, if only he got back the confidence to run at defenders (and succeed in it). Nevertheless I certainly hope he is still here when we lift our next trophy!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 am

johnpb78 wrote:Now, hows about you put in a decent performance?

I dont understand this slagging players off stuff.. ok sometimes players are guilty of this or that and deserve a bit of criticism, but i still cant see how that warrants being continually slagged off. What purpose does it serve apart from possibly making the slagger-off feel better?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:34 pm

He doesn't even when he has an off day you can see his is giving his all out there, I love him to bits and is welcome at Perth Glory any time, you lot don't deserve him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

His touch would let him down there I believe. When playing on the wing he has that extra yard to use for his tricks. If he played in CAM role I think he would keep losing the ball much more.

But agree with Slim, if only he got back the confidence to run at defenders (and succeed in it). Nevertheless I certainly hope he is still here when we lift our next trophy!

I think he does better when he moves inside for the opposite reason, he's lost a yard & a half of pace & can't get past the fullbacks as easily anymore when out wide. Little turns & flicks + workrate he can still do but the real lightning pace that left fullbacks for dead has gone. He only ever produced 2 decent crosses per season at his best so he's unlikely to be very productive now. If he goes wide it should generally be against slow fullbacks imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I think he does better when he moves inside for the opposite reason, he's lost a yard & a half of pace & can't get past the fullbacks as easily anymore when out wide. Little turns & flicks + workrate he can still do but the real lightning pace that left fullbacks for dead has gone. He only ever produced 2 decent crosses per season at his best so he's unlikely to be very productive now. If he goes wide it should generally be against slow fullbacks imo.

That's why I'd like to see him come inside. I think he's got the ability to terrorise people in the middle, those little shimmies and drag through's that he does just dazzle me.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby edge275 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:19 pm

I think SWP is shite and should be sold. I think Wenger would take him for say 6 million.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Really hope he is still around when we win something.
Rag_hater

Postby Burt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:53 pm

edge275 wrote:I think SWP is shite and should be sold. I think Wenger would take him for say 6 million.

Thinkin aint your strong point Edge fella;o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby Original Dub » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:04 am

edge275 wrote:I think SWP is shite and should be sold. I think Wenger would take him for say 6 million.

There is no better right winger on the planet that is willing to play a bit-part in the city team like he SWP. And you'd give that up for 6m?

Good to have you back mate! :)
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum