The club too family orientated?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The club too family orientated?

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 pm

First of all i applaud the club for probably being the best club in the premier league for their commitment to kids and to attract families but are we in danger of becoming a family orientated club with the passion taken out of it?

I think the club would rather see a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) come to the games and spend shit loads of food and drinks and a new kit in the store than 4 twenty something lads come to the game who spend their money on beer and shout their heads off. I just think everything at the moment is geared towards families.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: The club too family orientated?

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm

They need kids to become City regulars as most of them have spent their little lives being brainwashed by rag media.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blootoof » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Wacky Warehouse Eastlands
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
Manchester
M11 3FF
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:They need kids to become City regulars as most of them have spent their little lives being brainwashed by rag media.

I know and i understand and applaud the club for that but there should be a limit. It was like rush hour at Wacky Warehouse last night than a football game.
the_georgian_genius

Postby King Kev » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 pm

I know it caused a lot of people a lot of problems but I am glad that the club have moved and extended the Family Stand.

It really takes a lot of my enjoyment away when I am getting filthy looks (or worse) from parents because I dared to use a naughty word.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 pm

King Kev wrote:I know it caused a lot of people a lot of problems but I am glad that the club have moved and extended the Family Stand.

It really takes a lot of my enjoyment away when I am getting filthy looks (or worse) from parents because I dared to use a naughty word.

Can't comment about last night as I wasn't there, but if they are selling cheap tickets for UEFA games, you can expect kids and parents will want to take an adult and kid for £20, wheras it would have been upwards of £65/70 on Monday night for a league game.

Seeing as nobody was turned away at the gates anyway, can't really see the problem.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby ashton287 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 pm

I didnt see many kids in my block last night or monday, i think its a good thing they have moved them so i dont get some spekky knob crying to stewards because im standing up or swearing. I'll also be glad that when my son is old enough to start attending he wont have to sit around knobs like me who want to stand up and swear.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby ronk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 pm

3 out of 4 stands are adult stands. Half the family stand is adults anyway.

What would appropriately family orientated be like?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 pm

ronk wrote:3 out of 4 stands are adult stands. Half the family stand is adults anyway.

What would appropriately family orientated be like?

I'd go as far as to say its 3 adults for every kid or maybe even more.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:39 pm

We are giving the best value for money for U16 in the whole Premiership.

Future of our club support.

One out of three stands.

Fully support what the club is doing.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Typical City » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Maybe we should have a moany old bastard stand for people who just want to sit there like Father Jack? We could replace the fun painted stuff on the floor with mosaics of impending doom and have a collection of fan recollections 'things that have pissed me off most about City' throughout the years on the walls?
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby saulman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Typical City wrote:Maybe we should have a moany old bastard stand for people who just want to sit there like Father Jack? We could replace the fun painted stuff on the floor with mosaics of impending doom and have a collection of fan recollections 'things that have pissed me off most about City' throughout the years on the walls?

Quality.

I reckon there'd be quite a few takers for that one. Not mentioning any [strike]Crossans[/strike] names.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:43 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:First of all i applaud the club for probably being the best club in the premier league for their commitment to kids and to attract families but are we in danger of becoming a family orientated club with the passion taken out of it?

I think the club would rather see a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) come to the games and spend shit loads of food and drinks and a new kit in the store than 4 twenty something lads come to the game who spend their money on beer and shout their heads off. I just think everything at the moment is geared towards families.

Totally agree with this. Monday night i thought was pretty much spot on, and i agree with King Kev, as there were barely any young kids/families/women around me and most people supported the team and stood up for alot of the game.

Last night pissed me off a little, piss poor turn out and fuck all atmosphere. barely any noise (and I was in block 111 stood up). 25£ for adult tickets was a joke though IMO.

I notice a difference in the kids coming to matches from Maine Road. At maine road, they were kids going mental for city and signign, whereas I dont see many of these at COMS. At coms they seem to come for a day out and arent interested in the match or city.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:28 am

Nick wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:First of all i applaud the club for probably being the best club in the premier league for their commitment to kids and to attract families but are we in danger of becoming a family orientated club with the passion taken out of it?

Totally agree with this. Monday night i thought was pretty much spot on, and i agree with King Kev, as there were barely any young kids/families/women around me and most people supported the team and stood up for alot of the game.

Last night pissed me off a little, piss poor turn out and fuck all atmosphere. barely any noise (and I was in block 111 stood up). 25£ for adult tickets was a joke though IMO.

I notice a difference in the kids coming to matches from Maine Road. At maine road, they were kids going mental for city and signign, whereas I dont see many of these at COMS. At coms they seem to come for a day out and arent interested in the match or city.

You know what, its all bollocks.

I sat in the South Stand for the Villa game last season, so my mate could sit with his little lad.

He was disgusted at the atmosphere. not in the family stand, but that he had no idea what was going on at the other end. He rang me at half time to ask if he was alright, and I told him that not a SINGLE SONG had been sung in 45 minutes.

He actually left the family stand feeling that although it was full of kids, it was no different to the South Stand apart from the fact that they didn't sing naughty words.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 am

It's not about now, it's about the future.

Small kids and families were driven away in the 70s and early 80s and crowds plummeted for a generation.

Get 'em in early and they're there for life.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mrs Given » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:47 am

Those that are moaning about the kids being at the match/having their own stand. Would you rather see loads of little rags running round Manchester or see lovely children wearing our kit.
We all know that once you have seen a live match you are very unlikely to change your team.
Money is tight for most people these days and I think that the club are doing a great job in trying to help with family tickets etc and encouraging kids to come to the ground.
As per the earlier post, 3/4 of the stands are mainly for adults and around half of the family stand are adults so its a bit of a non issue really.
Mrs Given
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 am

Ted Hughes wrote:They need kids to become City regulars as most of them have spent their little lives being brainwashed by rag media.

good point - it is a cycle - if we are to balance the books in light of the Platini regs we need to grow revenue - therefore probably increase the stadium capacity - and I think that it has been deonstrated that we have not enough (attending) supporters from the current generation(s) - it is a strategic project - they need to get them young in Manchester. When I was a kid - many years ago - I really do believe that Manchester was blue dominated - but generations of scum success and our failure has changed that - although we might want to argue otherwise
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 am

I can only assume that those are keen on influx of families/kids, clearly haven't sown theirs seeds yet?

A question for you, how old were you when you watched City?

When we have threads of nostalgia on here in threads like "my first game" or remember when you could sneak under the turnstiles in the Kippax?

The world has changed considerably since then. Having the family stand it's favoured pricing etc is THE ONLY way to ensure the future generations of support.

Killing atmosphere is a bullshit answer, it will never be the same as it was at Maine Rd due to the layout and size of CoMS.

As for the language, my lad is six and has been coming to my local pub with me on the weekend since he was two weeks old, he has grown up with bad language and knows not to swear himself, he just ignores it, simple as.

I am all in favour of the the other stands being able to stand and swear, I wouldn be bothered about bad language in the family stand even. But when I do bring to his first game, we will be in the family stand as he will get chance to watch the game with out people standing up in front of him!

So those who are moaning, the other question is, would you prefer they closed the family stand and you had parents constantly telling you to mind your language and sit down so the can see? Would you fuck as like!!

So let's shut the family stand to appease the people who don't have kids now and see how many you change your mind in 5-10yrs when you naturally want take your kids and let them experience it for the first time and YOU WILL find yourselves at very least asking those in front to sit down if not ask them to mind the language. See how much of the game you enjoy or even see?

Alternatively you can embrace THE FUTURE because if you don't their will be empty stadiums when you draw your pentions in 50 years because all the kids would have come plastic rags.

That's the way I see it anyhow!

Oh and perhaps the club have seen a rise in demand for more family seatng rather than thinking, I know let's piss the rest of the supporters off!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am

What a good post CTID
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

Good post CTID down South. All this pish about the past and reminiscing that the kids of the day used to go wild is just a load of baloney. My dad told me that when he 1st took me, that I had hardly any interest wahtsoever and actually fell asleep, just like my lad did on a few occassions. Then, when I was old enough to first remember, it was me and a couple of mates going round picking the penny's and two penny's up that the away fans kept throwing over (every now and then we got silver). It was onlt after a few years and the tidal waves going down the Kippax that I remember as a real footballing supporter, it was like a day out until then.

The other difference between then and now is the terraces. They created more of an atmosphere than anything else, people able to mingle, meet up and enjoy the game from a free position, whereas now, well.....

The more the club do for the families the better, they are the future of Man City. I wish they had stuff like they have now when I was a lad, and when I first started taking mine as I'm sure there wouldn't have been a tired eye from either of us waiting for the half-time entertainment.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum