4 strikers - is it enough?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

4 strikers - is it enough?

Postby Wooders » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 am

with Robbie and RSC looking certain to head for the door - Bellers out on loan - and Ceicedo being touted about to other clubs that leaves us with

JO
Ballotelli
Tevez
Ade

Do we have enough strikers? Its going to be a long season and one or two injuries to key strikers will leave us somewhat light in that dept ?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: 4 strikers - is it enough?

Postby Beeks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am

Wooders wrote:with Robbie and RSC looking certain to head for the door - Bellers out on loan - and Ceicedo being touted about to other clubs that leaves us with

JO
Ballotelli
Tevez
Ade

Do we have enough strikers? Its going to be a long season and one or two injuries to key strikers will leave us somewhat light in that dept ?

You forgot Ibra/Dzeko on the last day of the transfer window ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby ant london » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:15 am

No it's not enough and, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that our business is not done
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby kinkylola » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 am

I also hope that mancini will take some early cup rounds to blood guidetti and nimely. When you factor those two in as young back up ... it really is enough, I think.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 am

If we could say Jo is a striker in the same ilk as the rest then I'd say 'Yes', 4 strikers are good enough for any club.

How many did we play on Monday?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CityGer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:26 am

ant london wrote:No it's not enough and, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that our business is not done

Aye, I said in the transfer thread a few days ago that I'd be surprised at Bobby, with all this cash at his disposal, going in to such an important season with Ade and a young kid as our only viable target man options. Him playing Carlos up top on his own against Spurs and Liverpool has changed my view slightly but I still wouldn't be surprised at all to see more movement, in and out, around our striking options.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 am

I don't think it's enough but I honestly think we're done in this window. All gossip on any incoming players has all but ended and I think what we have is it.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 am

If you look at how we've tried to have 2 for each position the CF spot doesn't match up. We don't really have ONE real genuine centre forward (other than mostly injured & soon to be gone RSC). They're also not the most reliable bunch; Ade, Jo, Balotelli. Talented players of course but hardly guaranteed performers & Ade is already a little bit miffed at becoming a squad player.

Perhaps it's just the case that none of the players available to sign are considered an improvement so we have no choice.

If that changes we could still see a last ditch signing imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ScapeGoat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 am

I don't think we'll sign anyone else this transfer window. If we did sign another striker, Ade would surely be off, so we'd end up with the same number. It's obvious Mancini likes to play one up front, so unless Ade forces a move and Santa leaves as well, I don't see us bringing anyone else in.
ScapeGoat
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Dameerto » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 am

If he plans to stick to 4-3-3 it's enough. Would still love to see Dzeko come here at the last minute though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

thought we had about 50-odd according to the press?

maybe mancio has seen something in one of the young 'uns.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ruralblue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

Last day of transfer window I think we will do a deal with Ibra and Robinho going the other way. Could be a swap loan deal till end of season but have that feeling something will happen.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:50 am

ScapeGoat wrote:I don't think we'll sign anyone else this transfer window. If we did sign another striker, Ade would surely be off, so we'd end up with the same number. It's obvious Mancini likes to play one up front, so unless Ade forces a move and Santa leaves as well, I don't see us bringing anyone else in.

Traditionally Mancini has used more than one system & always had a big CF at Inter. It could be the case that we'll play two up front tonight or at least two strikers in the team.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Rammyblue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:52 am

With playing 433 and looking at the line up against the dippers monday night IMO we have more than enough even if we allowed Robinho and RSC to leave. From a tactical point of view it appears (and I know it sounds daft) but the forward three can be drawn from the following

Ade
Silva
Tevez
SWP
Milner
Jo
Balotelli
AJ

As for the defensive three they could be drawn from the following

NDJ
Barry
Milner
Yaya
M Johnson (when fit)
Kompany
Vierra

IMO we have moved away from static roles to players being versatile.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby mr_nool » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am

Rammyblue wrote:With playing 433 and looking at the line up against the dippers monday night IMO we have more than enough even if we allowed Robinho and RSC to leave. From a tactical point of view it appears (and I know it sounds daft) but the forward three can be drawn from the following

Ade
Silva
Tevez
SWP
Milner
Jo
Balotelli
AJ

As for the defensive three they could be drawn from the following

NDJ
Barry
Milner
Yaya
M Johnson (when fit)
Kompany
Vierra

IMO we have moved away from static roles to players being versatile.

I agree with this. We have 3 players, Ade, Jo and Balotelli, who can play the traditional CF role (4 if you count Tevez). As second striker Tevez and Silva can be used, or any other of the three mentioned above. If we play 4-3-3 you can add Adam Johnson and Milner as "attacking options".
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If you look at how we've tried to have 2 for each position the CF spot doesn't match up. We don't really have ONE real genuine centre forward (other than mostly injured & soon to be gone RSC). They're also not the most reliable bunch; Ade, Jo, Balotelli. Talented players of course but hardly guaranteed performers & Ade is already a little bit miffed at becoming a squad player.

Perhaps it's just the case that none of the players available to sign are considered an improvement so we have no choice.

If that changes we could still see a last ditch signing imo.

The crap that he was saying the other day, I wouldn't trust Ade much and in fact would be looking to sell him. He was admitting being "upset" when he was on the bench against Spurs and also talked how his values and interests in life have changed since the shooting incident. Which is all understandable but from our point of view that sounds like someone talking who is mentally quite there.

Personally I would sell Ade (and RSC of course) and buy one quality centerforward. Whether that quality centerforward is Dzeko or Benzema or Ibrahimovic or someone else if of course up for debate. Straight swap for Benzema would make most sense since Real are apparently interested of Ade.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beeks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Straight swap for Benzema would make most sense since Real are apparently interested of Ade.

Red Cafe would implode if we signed him...that particular love affair has been going on longer than when they were after Silva!
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Guy Debord » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:09 pm

I think Mancini will stick with his 433 a system that's often 4-3-3-0 when Tevez drifts deep.

Four's probably enough considering we often won't really use them and we have Ade and Mario on the bench.
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm

4 strikers is enough if you include Jo, who has yet to convince me. Especially seeing we usually only play one. Plus I am led to believe Mr Milner can play that position as well as his many others.

Still wouldn't be surprised at a last day mega-signing, nor for RSC to stay and Jo to go out on loan.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Everyone who's saying we'll stick with a 4-3-3 system; we don't really play 4-3-3 now & won't neccessarily play or stick with 4-3-3 in any game let alone all season. If Mancini sticks with 4-3-3 every game it will be for the 1st time in his life.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum