Wednesday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Wednesday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:44 am

STAR BOLLOX OF THE DAY
JOSE MOURINHO last night backed Sir Alex Ferguson’s attack on Manchester City’s ‘kamikaze’ spending. Manchester United boss Ferguson has slammed City for splashing out mega-money in the transfer market under billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour.
Now Real Madrid boss Mourinho has weighed in – although he also claimed City’s spending will make them title contenders this season.
Mourinho said: “If someone wants to compete with them for a player, it’s very difficult. “They are dominant in the market. They say is the player we want’ and they get the player.
“I was very interested in Aleksandar Kolarov when I came here. I couldn’t compete because they went to values that you cannot go.
“So when Sir Alex says ‘kamikaze’, if he’s referring to the way they are going and eating the market, then I agree with him.
“But if they have the money, they can do it. And if they have the ambition to win the Premier League, they can do it.” Kolarov joined City from Lazio in a £16m deal during a summer spree which saw City boss Roberto Mancini spend over £100m.
Mourinho spent £225m during his glittering three-year spell at Chelsea and delivered two Premier League titles.
He is convinced City will challenge for the crown – but took a swipe at Liverpool and Arsenal.
Mourinho told Sky Sports News HD: “I believe the contenders are Chelsea, United and City. I don’t see any others.
“It’s very difficult for Roy Hodgson to do it with Liverpool. Over the last few years they have got worse and worse.
“They arrive into a difficult stituation with Carragher, Gerrard, Reina, Torres if his head is there...it’s difficult for Roy to make Liverpool champions.
“He needs time and it’s not easy because the club has not gone in the right direction – and neither have Arsenal.”

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli set to miss Europa League clash
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is not expected to be fit for his club's Europa League clash against Timisoara at Eastlands tomorrow but hopes to be in the squad for Sunday’s Barclays Premier League game against Sunderland. The Italian damaged his knee after scoring the winner against the Romanian side in last week’s first leg.

Micah Richards has claimed new Manchester City team-mate James Milner has much more to offer than just hard graft.
Milner was praised for his work-rate on his debut in their emphatic 3-0 victory over Liverpool following his £24million move from Aston Villa last week.
The England midfielder also made an immediate impact by setting up Gareth Barry for the first goal of the game with a low cross in the first half.
The 23-year-old also had a hand in the second goal, taking the corner that set up Richards' header which Carlos Tevez bundled in.
Milner was all action on the flanks with counterpart Adam Johnson also impressing, but Richards insisted that despite his price tag, Milner would prove to be well worth the money.
"James has brought a new dimension to the team," said Richards.
"When he first came people said he was overpriced. They said all he does is work hard.
"Now they know has a little bit more in his locker than that.
"He can use his right foot and left foot and has plenty of skill.
"His awareness is superb, so hopefully he can improve and bring that to the rest of the team."
Richards is not expected to join up with the likes of Milner and Johnson in the England team for their European Championship qualifiers next month.
Despite winning his first cap for England at the age of 17, the 22-year-old saw a lack of form and games for his club affect his place in the international reckoning.
However, the strong defender backed himself to be recalled to the squad soon and become part of Fabio Capello's plans to bring through younger players.
"I have worked on my concentration because sometimes I have tended to switch off a little bit," he said.
"That is when the danger comes.
"But it is a weakness the manager is trying to help me put right."

Manchester City misfit Robinho snubs Fenerbahce to pursue options in Spain and Italy
Robinho has rejected a move to Turkey and is exploring interest from Italy and Spain.
Fenerbahce had been given permission to talk to Manchester City's £32.5million record signing, while Besiktas were also interested.
But the 26-year-old said: 'With all due respect to Turkish football, I'm not going to play there right now.
'Fenerbahce were the one who sent me an official proposal, but I already decided I wouldn't go. Talks are ongoing, but nothing has advanced.
'A lot can happen in a week. The only thing I can say is that I will continue in Europe. Italy or Spain.'

Meanwhile, Lazio hope to conclude a loan deal with view to a permanent £4.9million move for City's Roque Santa Cruz.
Stoke and Fulham have also shown interest - although City would want more after signing the Paraguayan for £17.5m last year.

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Liverpool's 3-0 drubbing by Manchester City on Monday has prompted manager Roy Hodgson to make a shock move for West Ham striker Carlton Cole, with the Reds prepared to offer £6m up front for the 26-year-old. Daily Mirror

Hodgson is desperate to sort out the future of Javier Mascherano, who wants to move for family reasons, and has told Barcelona they will need to pay £18m in cash by the end of the weekend to secure the Argentine midfielder. Daily Mail

Barcelona may offer midfielder Alexander Hleb and defender Martin Caceres in part exchange as they look at ways to tempt Liverpool to sell Mascherano. the Guardian

If Liverpool do finally offload Mascherano, they may attempt to secure Marseille's £7m-rated midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa. Daily Star

West Brom have made a £3m bid for Getafe midfielder Derek Boateng. The Ghanaian was voted the Spanish club's player of the season for the 2009-2010 campaign and was named in his country's World Cup squad. Talksport

West Ham manager Avram Grant is intent on signing both a striker and right-back before the close of the transfer window next Tuesday. the Guardian

Everton have been put off Tottenham striker Peter Crouch after being quoted what they consider to be an exorbitant fee of £10m. Talksport

Coventry are set to sign striker Marlon King, who was released from prison in July, on a three-year contract. Sky Blues boss Aidy Boothroyd wants to snap up King on a Bosman transfer for a weekly salary of £10,000, plus bonuses. Daily Mirror

Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar looks likely to remain at Goodison Park for one more season and see out the final year of his contract, despite Tottenham's ongoing interest in the South African. Daily Mail

Chelsea could be set to make a shock bid for Inter Milan defender Nicolas Burdisso, with the Blues needing cover for Ricardo Carvalho, who recently moved to Real Madrid. Daily Mirror

OTHER BOLLOX
Deal-broker Keith Harris, who has assisted in the sales of West Ham, Aston Villa and Manchester City, says he is representing a mystery overseas buyer for Liverpool, with an offer of up to £500m set to be tabled to take over from the current American owners. Daily Express (Why you would let anyone that has their arm up the arse of a green duck, represent you is a mystery to me)

England manager Fabio Capello has come under fire from Real Madrid's new manager. Jose Mourinho said: "He has a one-track relationship with players. You cannot go around just shouting at players. They need to feel special. Capello will not work for England. He does not know the players. They are frightened of him and they can't play for him." Daily Mirror

What a spectacle! You can make up your own headline as Edgar Davids struggled with his glasses on his debut for Crystal Palace. The Dutch midfielder, 37, played at left-back as his new side lost to Portsmouth in the Carling Cup. Daily Mail

Portuguese forward Bebe, who Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson recently signed for £7m without watching him play, failed to make Tuesday's 16-man reserve squad to face local rivals Manchester City. Daily Mail
Last edited by Chinners on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Wednesday's B*ll*x

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 am

Seems to me Keith Harris has far too much to say these days. Maybe he's caught up in his own celebrity? Then again maybe he's just touting for commission?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:04 am

Liverpool's 3-0 drubbing by Manchester City on Monday has prompted manager Roy Hodgson to make a shock move for West Ham striker Carlton Cole, with the Reds prepared to offer £6m up front for the 26-year-old. Daily Mirror

I'm sure that's cheered up the scouse fans.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:15 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Liverpool's 3-0 drubbing by Manchester City on Monday has prompted manager Roy Hodgson to make a shock move for West Ham striker Carlton Cole, with the Reds prepared to offer £6m up front for the 26-year-old. Daily Mirror

I thought that. Sure will be a fucking shock.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby craigmcfc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Liverpool's 3-0 drubbing by Manchester City on Monday has prompted manager Roy Hodgson to make a shock move for West Ham striker Carlton Cole, with the Reds prepared to offer £6m up front for the 26-year-old. Daily Mirror

Oh how the mighty have fallen
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 am

Proves what bollox it is thou, West Ham turned down a £12mil bid from Stoke and I believe Sunderland offered a similar amount. "Hold on Liverpool are offering £6mil, better draw up the paperwork eh"
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Grob » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 am

john@staustell wrote:Seems to me Keith Harris has far too much to say these days. Maybe he's caught up in his own celebrity? Then again maybe he's just touting for commission?

He should stick to fisting Orville
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby bluej » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 am

Mourinho said: “If someone wants to compete with them for a player, it’s very difficult. “They are dominant in the market. They say is the player we want’ and they get the player.
“I was very interested in Aleksandar Kolarov when I came here. I couldn’t compete because they went to values that you cannot go.

Of course Jose and Real have never spent a penny between them.

Of all the men and clubs to complain about our spending, these two are the most hypocritical.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 am

I don't want him under any circumstances but I love the quote from Ibra's agent today

Unsettled Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic looks set to leave Camp Nou and, according to his agent, there are only three clubs he would join: AC Milan, Real Madrid and Manchester City.

The arrival of Spain international David Villa has knocked Ibrahimovic down the pecking order at Barcelona and the Sweden international has also had a reported bust-up with manager Pep Guardiola.

Ibrahimovic's agent, Mino Raiola, hinted at problems when he told El Mundo Deportivo: "He signed with FC Barcelona, not FC Guardiola. He signed him to play but then left him on the bench."

With the striker looking increasingly likely to be on the move, a number of clubs are on alert, but Raiola claims his client has a very select short-list of suitors.

"Nothing is settled yet. We will know the situation on September 1," Raiola told Swedish newspaper Expressen. "There are only three clubs that are capable of signing Ibra: AC Milan, Manchester City and Real Madrid. These clubs are the only ones who can afford to sign him, to pay him and attract him."
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:58 am

Still think Ibra will pitch up here before 1st Sept. Not Particlarly keen myself but its just a hunch.

Prob with Adebayor going out the exit door unless he accepts he isnt an automatic choice; maybe, just maybe, we can package Robinho off as part of a deal - we can hope.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Ibra is a fantastic player. i wouldn't cry if somehow he came to City...i'd hate to see it at Ade's expense tho.

Also, if you read the Mourinho article i don't believe it's nearly as negative as any of the headlines...he basically just says that no one can compete with us when we want a player. All the bollox headlines about how he backs Fergie's Kamikaze bullshit weren't anywhere in the article i read yesterday...
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:18 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Ibra is a fantastic player. i wouldn't cry if somehow he came to City...i'd hate to see it at Ade's expense tho.

Also, if you read the Mourinho article i don't believe it's nearly as negative as any of the headlines...he basically just says that no one can compete with us when we want a player. All the bollox headlines about how he backs Fergie's Kamikaze bullshit weren't anywhere in the article i read yesterday...

the jose quotes are not in the least bit derogatory towards City....actually they are overall complimentary as he goes on to say that Arsenal and Liverpool have no chance for the title and it's between Chelsea, United and City

Mourinho believes this season's title race is between City, Manchester United and his old club Chelsea, and took the opportunity to criticise Rafael Benítez, who replaced him at Inter.

"It's very difficult for Roy Hodgson [at Liverpool] as over the last three years they have been getting worse, worse and worse. The Liverpool of 2004 was better than the Liverpool of 2005, 2005 was better than 2006 and 2006 better than 2007. Roy needs time. But I think he has no chance."

Mourinho said Benítez would find life easier at Inter because of the work he did at the club.

"Benítez will not have to work as hard as I did because in one month he has the chance to win three trophies, the Italian Super Cup, the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup. It's heaven for him.

"A coach who arrives at a new club usually has to build a team. While Benítez finds everything ready, the club and the players."

Mourinho also suggested Arsenal will again struggle to make an impact on the Premier League title race, and criticised Arsène Wenger's lack of ambition.

"Year after year it looks like they will, but no. It's always the same type of comment, 'It's a young team, it will be next season'.

"I remember we played them in a Carling Cup final [in 2007] with a team of young boys but they are no longer a team of the youngsters. They are now a team of 25, 26, 27-year-olds. Fabregas, Walcott, Clichy, Song, Sagna – they're not a team of kids any more, they're of an age to win things but I don't think they will do it."

I also like today's bits re Capello....which I have to say I agree with in lots of ways (and I like his smug little grin here!)

Jose Mourinho has claimed England will not be successful while the coach, Fabio Capello, is in charge.

Capello today awoke to another wave of criticism in the tabloid newspapers, with the Sun branding him a donkey and Mourinho adding his views to the onslaught.

"The problem is the manager," Mourinho told the Daily Mirror. "Capello will not work for England."

Capello is one of Mourinho's numerous predecessors at Real Madrid, a club the Portuguese coach says still remembers his managerial flaws.

"He has a one-track relationship with players," said Mourinho, who yesterday criticised Rafael Benítez and Arsène Wenger. "Ask anyone here at Real Madrid. He can't change. You cannot go around just shouting at players. They need to feel special.

"It is clear. Capello will not work for England. He does not know the players. They are frightened of him and they can't play for him.

"For me, it is a mess for England. Players need clear tactics. They cannot be confused about what they have to do. It is the manager's fault. And it is a big shame."
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

ant london wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Ibra is a fantastic player. i wouldn't cry if somehow he came to City...i'd hate to see it at Ade's expense tho.

the jose quotes are not in the least bit derogatory towards City....actually they are overall complimentary as he goes on to say that Arsenal and Liverpool have no chance for the title and it's between Chelsea, United and City

Mourinho believes this season's title race is between City, Manchester United and his old club Chelsea, and took the opportunity to criticise Rafael Benítez, who replaced him at Inter.

"It's very difficult for Roy Hodgson [at Liverpool] as over the last three years they have been getting worse, worse and worse. The Liverpool of 2004 was better than the Liverpool of 2005, 2005 was better than 2006 and 2006 better than 2007. Roy needs time. But I think he has no chance."

Mourinho said Benítez would find life easier at Inter because of the work he did at the club.

"Benítez will not have to work as hard as I did because in one month he has the chance to win three trophies, the Italian Super Cup, the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup. It's heaven for him.

"A coach who arrives at a new club usually has to build a team. While Benítez finds everything ready, the club and the players."

Mourinho also suggested Arsenal will again struggle to make an impact on the Premier League title race, and criticised Arsène Wenger's lack of ambition.

"Year after year it looks like they will, but no. It's always the same type of comment, 'It's a young team, it will be next season'.

"I remember we played them in a Carling Cup final [in 2007] with a team of young boys but they are no longer a team of the youngsters. They are now a team of 25, 26, 27-year-olds. Fabregas, Walcott, Clichy, Song, Sagna – they're not a team of kids any more, they're of an age to win things but I don't think they will do it."

I also like today's bits re Capello....which I have to say I agree with in lots of ways (and I like his smug little grin here!)

Jose Mourinho has claimed England will not be successful while the coach, Fabio Capello, is in charge.

Capello today awoke to another wave of criticism in the tabloid newspapers, with the Sun branding him a donkey and Mourinho adding his views to the onslaught.

"The problem is the manager," Mourinho told the Daily Mirror. "Capello will not work for England."

Capello is one of Mourinho's numerous predecessors at Real Madrid, a club the Portuguese coach says still remembers his managerial flaws.

"He has a one-track relationship with players," said Mourinho, who yesterday criticised Rafael Benítez and Arsène Wenger. "Ask anyone here at Real Madrid. He can't change. You cannot go around just shouting at players. They need to feel special.

"It is clear. Capello will not work for England. He does not know the players. They are frightened of him and they can't play for him.

"For me, it is a mess for England. Players need clear tactics. They cannot be confused about what they have to do. It is the manager's fault. And it is a big shame."

I think he is spot on there.

Benitez IS a fucking shite manager who left absolute ruins behind him in Liverpool and now gets to step to Inter who are build to win by Jose.

I also agree about Arsenal. I saw few season predictions where they had put Arsenal the title winners or in top two. I can't see any way that will happen with the squad of players they have got. He is also bang on the money about Arsenal being dubbed as young team all the time whereas in truth these players should be at their prime now.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby branny » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:01 pm

The last point on Baconface paying £7m for a player that he's never seen made me smile. That's what i'd call "Kamikaze spending".
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Return to The Maine Football forum