Massive credit to the Elite Development Squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Massive credit to the Elite Development Squad

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:09 am

They lost to United in the Senior Cup....3-1

BUT they took the lead initially and sounds like a very battling performance....HOWEVER, the interesting/impressive part about the scoreline is the bloody team that the munichs played.....

Amos
Neville
Rafael (Dudgeon 59)
Brown
Smalling
Carrick
Gibson
Anderson (Keane 59)
Macheda
Eikrem
Cleverley

Considering that line-up....8 of whom are bona fide senior squad members at old trafford....I think our lads did bloody amazingly well.

Our team was Gonzalez, Logan, Cunningham (Benali 46), Kay, Wabara, Mee, Elabdellaoui, Ibrahim, Nimely, Chantler, Helan (Roman 83).

City's Elite Development Squad gave a battling performance against a Manchester United side packed with internationals and almost £50m worth of talent at Ewen Fields this evening.

In their first competitive fixture at their new home, the Blues went ahead on 11 minutes through Alex Nimely and looked the better side for most of the first half, but a brace from Frederico Macheda and another from Tom Cleverley proved decisive on the night as the Reds triumphed 3-1.

With United's second string boasting the talents of Chris Smalling, Wes Brown, Michael Carrick, Gary Neville, Anderson, Macheda, Darren Gibson and Rafael , City had only Greg Cunningham and Abdi Ibrahim with senior experience.

A healthy crowd of just under 1,600 gathered for the Manchester Senior Cup tie and with Blues’ boss Robert Mancini in the stands, City started brightly and took an early lead through a 20-yard daisy-cutter from Nimely which beat Ben Amos in the United goal.

While the Blues looked dangerous every time they went forward, United offered little in return in th first half-hour.

The impressive Jeremy Helan gave Neville a torrid time down the left and it seemed just a matter of time before Andy Welsh’s men increased their lead.

When United finally did string a decent move together, they levelled the scores. Frederico Macheda turned smartly in the box, losing his marker in the process before firing a powerful drive past David Gonzalez on 37 minutes.

The match was far more evenly-contested after the break with chances at either end and both teams could have scored within the space of 60 seconds. William Keane went close with a header for United and then Alex Nimely rounded Amos only to see his shot blocked.

The Reds then struck twice in the space of three minutes with Macheda again on target on 71 minutes and Cleverley adding a third on 74 minutes, though Andy Welsh will have been pleased with his team’s spirit and all-round display.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Massive credit to the Elite Development Squad

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 am

Just typical of THEM to go against the spirit of the contest isn't it? Surprised Rooney didn't play. Then again the senior cup may be the only thing they win this year.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:30 am

Tbf I only saw the 2nd half but you could hear Andy Welsh shouting 'pass pass pass keep the ball' which Utd certainly did, espescially their younger players who actually improved them.

Their young players, good or bad, always appear to be getting the most out of their abilities & understand what their doing. Ours just run about excitedly & only show their talents in glimpses before losing the ball. Imo their coaches appear to have been better so far at teaching the kids what's needed in top class football. Ours learn to play like SWP & have to learn everything again when they get to the 1st team. Hopefully , with the recent recruits & restructure, ours will start to bridge the gap & be better prepared.

Either that or they've been getting all the players with the brains who learn quickly while we sign talented thickies.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 am

I was at the game last night and the rags have got a promising talent playing right back. I reckon when his moustache is fully grown and he learns how to spit properly he's going to be a real star.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:38 am

dazby wrote:I was at the game last night and the rags have got a promising talent playing right back. I reckon when his moustache is fully grown and he learns how to spit properly he's going to be a real star.

I almost felt sorry for him, desperately trying to hang on to his career.

No, I didn't actually, thinking about it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16 am

dazby wrote:I was at the game last night and the rags have got a promising talent playing right back. I reckon when his moustache is fully grown and he learns how to spit properly he's going to be a real star.

?????

Am I missing something?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby markuse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

?????

Am I missing something?

Yep, the joke on the young right back England hopeful that played last night ;-)
markuse
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 am

markuse wrote:

?????

Am I missing something?

Yep, the joke on the young right back England hopeful that played last night ;-)

I didn't miss THAT joke but the highlighted bit.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 am

I think that was just default spazby
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby markuse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:51 am

markuse wrote:

?????

Am I missing something?

I didn't miss THAT joke but the highlighted bit.

I think daz intended it to be just one joke, i.e. he was there and saw an extremely good kid playing at RB while both assumption were (very much) abvoiusly false (with the second drfiting into obscene territyory)
markuse
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby dazby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 pm

AHA I have been foiled and spoiled by supersleuth Antti. Yes my friend, twas all a tall tale to muddle and befuddle our brethren contributors and purveyors.

The mentioning of my attendance at the match was intended to clearly indicate as brightly as a shining beacon that the remainder of the tale was pure folly. A very tall tale indeed, for the right back in question is neither young, nor going to be a star. In fact, the somewhat feeble attempt at a moustache shall never in time come to be fully formed, as it were. Furthermore, as evidenced from that fateful day at Maine Road, the cad in question shall never be able to expectorate as a normal person does. His tongue is otherwised engaged in the servitude of his masters, thus preventing him from forming sufficient er, er, gobby.

Well played old bean.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:05 pm

dazby wrote:AHA I have been foiled and spoiled by supersleuth Antti. Yes my friend, twas all a tall tale to muddle and befuddle our brethren contributors and purveyors.

The mentioning of my attendance at the match was intended to clearly indicate as brightly as a shining beacon that the remainder of the tale was pure folly. A very tall tale indeed, for the right back in question is neither young, nor going to be a star. In fact, the somewhat feeble attempt at a moustache shall never in time come to be fully formed, as it were. Furthermore, as evidenced from that fateful day at Maine Road, the cad in question shall never be able to expectorate as a normal person does. His tongue is otherwised engaged in the servitude of his masters, thus preventing him from forming sufficient er, er, gobby.

Well played old bean.

But I could have sworn I saw you there even though I didn't go!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

i watched the live stream on the OS and could have sworn i saw you dazbo, standing on your head jumping up and down.. mouthing what looked like .. " Feed the Goat... Feed the Goat "
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:16 pm

dazby wrote:AHA I have been foiled and spoiled by supersleuth Antti. Yes my friend, twas all a tall tale to muddle and befuddle our brethren contributors and purveyors.

Well played old bean.

You need one of these.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum