Priorities

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Priorities

Postby lincoln blue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Having already been savaged tonight, I suppose I have to be careful what I now say
If this has been discussed then I really do apologise
League
UEFA
FA
League Cup
What is the priority - realistically?
I'm assuming The League Cup maybe bottom of the pile and a chance to play fringe players etc
Other teams in the past have had to face this dilema and its all gone a bit wrong
Could we seriously compete in all of these competitions with the squad we now have
I don' wish to sound too confident at this stage - but I think we could
Let the savagery comence
A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
lincoln blue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Priorities

Postby mr_nool » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 pm

lincoln blue wrote:Having already been savaged tonight, I suppose I have to be careful what I now say
League
UEFA
FA
League Cup
I'm assuming The League Cup maybe bottom of the pile and a chance to play fringe players etc
Other teams in the past have had to face this dilema and its all gone a bit wrong
Could we seriously compete in all of these competitions with the squad we now have
Let the savagery comence

I also think that we will down prioritize the league cup and play fringe players. At least until and if we reach the further stages.
I can buy that reasoning, but onm the other hand I'm really thirsting for silver wear, and would like for us to push for it on all four fronts.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Similar subject

http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=33894

For me its the league as we need to get into the Champs League next season. I'm not bothered about Europa or the Carling Cup.

As I don't believe we are going to win the league, I would love an FA cup win.
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby mr_nool » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Invisible Man Fan wrote:http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=33894

For me its the league as we need to get into the Champs League next season. I'm not bothered about Europa or the Carling Cup.

Can I pick you up on this when we're in the final of either competition?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:21 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Invisible Man Fan wrote:http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=33894

Can I pick you up on this when we're in the final of either competition?

I'll rephrase that.....The FA cup and League are priorities for me, I would still love to do well in all competitions, but Europa and Carling Cup are less desirable IMO
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Id play the strongest team possible whenever and wherever we can. Our priority is to win something as its been 35 years since we won anything - who the hell are we to deride the League Cup when we never win sod all?

When we've won a trophy or two we will have the right to pick and choose and prioritise.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Crossie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

IMO with this squad, and the quality of players all wanting games, we should treat every competition with 100% commitment.

When you bring in (for example) Milner for Silva, or AJ for SWP, Ade/Mario for Tevez, then we dont really need to worry about burn out!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby saulman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 pm

That new financial ruling leaves us no choice but to aim for the league. If we can mount a title challenge that's great, but 4th is an absolute must. No other competition comes even a close second. Anything else just is a bonus.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby simon12 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 pm

I went for "Gone for 3rd and league cup and europa cup." in the thread mentioned above however to answer the question posed by the OP I think priority should be:
League
Europa
FA
LC
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:23 pm

The simple fact that we started without

Given
Zab - Boateng - Bridge - Kolarov
SWP - Vieira - M Johno
Adebayor - RSC - Jo

And countless others I can't remember right now:

Should tell you that there is a team for all competitions given rotation. Let there be no doubt whatsoever, city are out to win every trophy available, they will go all out to win every competition they are in
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Burt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 pm

lincoln blue wrote:Having already been savaged tonight, I suppose I have to be careful what I now say
League
UEFA
FA
League Cup
Let the savagery comence

Cheers Lincoln fella. I find this a very good post and a a good question for us Blues.

I think that the league has got to take priority because if we don't finish in the top four then we will be slated (so what's new there then) and it would probably result in us changing manager once again. Having said that, it is also a must for us to put our first pot on the mantlepiece after all these years so winning a trophy of any description would keep the good ship City on its course.

We have the potential with our squad to make a decent fist of it on all fronts and I believe that our gaffers will be aiming for this.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby Cityfan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I agree that we need champions league football nest season for credibility and maintaining high quality of players. league must be the top priority, don't think it means we will treat other competitions lightly though. As a club we need to get into the habit of winning silverware that we lsot years ago. Futher in order to keep all members of the squad happy they need to be involved, Thursday night days in Europe are important in this, we will be a happier squad and a more successful squad if we advance in Europe. Although the FA cup is one I am more attached to the Europa cup is more useful to the team in my view.
There is an element of lottery in any knockout tournament but we certainly have the squad to compete on several fronts and I hope we win something.
Cityfan
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Kladze » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:07 am

We need to win something, anything, soon for the sake of our mental stability.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 am

Whatever else we do, we MUST qualify for the CL. Failure to do so will cause us major problems in almost all areas of the club and render our development plans in tatters...CL QUALIFICATION IS A MUST.
I think we will acheive far more than that and I think a serious challenge for the Prem title is well within our scope.

I agree with John78 and others and think we have enough players of a high enough quality to put a challenge in for every trophy we play for.
I would not be suprised if we won more than 1 trophy this season...not surprised in the least.

Noolie mate...I know English isn't your 1st language but your "thirst for silver wear" (silverware) could be sated by donning a pair of bacofoil briefs...just a suggestion...:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Michigan Blue » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 am

I don't think you go about building a squad of this depth and quality with the idea that Europe is a distraction and that the "real" domestic cup campaign doesn't start till January. Mancini keeps rattling on about playing three games a week and I don't doubt that he is literally planning on that.

I remember the official site's interview with Khaldoon immediately after the Spurs game last season in which he expressed regret that we hadn't won the league. Made me realize right then and there just how ambitious the Sheikh is in the near-term, and it wouldn't surprise me if Mancini was asked at the end of last season "what will it take to win all four trophies next year." Mansour, Khaldoon, Cook, Mancini, et. al. will be all too aware that even delivering a league cup will deify them.

No reason we shouldn't be aiming to mimic Liverpool's 2000-01 campaign anyway. Their first cup game that season was a 1-0 victory in Romania so we're off to a decent start.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:40 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Id play the strongest team possible whenever and wherever we can. Our priority is to win something as its been 35 years since we won anything - who the hell are we to deride the League Cup when we never win sod all?

When we've won a trophy or two we will have the right to pick and choose and prioritise.

spot on.

If we win pot of any sort I will be over the Blue Moon. Be it League or League Cup. I've been supporting City for 26 years this season and we have not won nor actually been close to winning anything in my time. To be in position where I can dream about it is a fulfilment itself but to actually win something.... I'd probably go crazy.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 am

Anything other than CL qualification is a massive failure. Even winning a trophy would not compensate for that. As much as we need
to get that monkey off our back CL qualification is vital to the bigger picture of world domination. World class players wont come to city because we won the UEFA Cup. Qualifying for the CL will also ensure one of competitors goes into financial meltdown. It's unlikely that Chelsea or United will miss out but a another year with CL money for Liverpool or Arsenal would be catastrophic for them. I know this has little to do with City but I would love to see the status quo of the boring Premiership smashed to pieces.

That being said we should still be able to win the UEFA cup without trying to hard. Well at least get to the semi finals stage without disrupting out league campaign. Anything other than a semi finals appearance in the UEFA Cup is a dismal embaressment. It's a shockingly poor tournament that the majority of big boys who get dumped in it after CL elimination couldnt give a shit about.

Celtic Rangers Boro and Fulham have all made the final with very average sides in recent years. Though all sides had tremendous teams spirit which we have yet to proof. We should have made the finals with a mid table side a few years ago. This represents our best chance of silver wear in my life time. We should walk this.

The FA Cup and League cup is more difficult. With all the money being spent by the top 8 teams there simply are not enough trophies to go around. Proven by how seriously United take this tournament these days.
ross.mcfc

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 am

For me - because of the 35 year 'label' it is a question of preference rather than priority

By this I mean that whilst the manager hits the jackpot if he wins the PL - or comes close to it if he is 2nd and wins the EL - even a LC win would get that monkey off our backs - so every competition will be taken very seriously - whilst at the same time using the strength of the squad available and addressing the need to rotate to keep every one involved and motivated

(although CL qualification must be a given!!)
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

David Silva said Mancini told him he would be going for everything. End of.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby 13021J » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 am

I noticed that Braga beat Seville in the CL qualifiers last night. Does that mean they go into EL? If so they could be our biggest rivals.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum