Holland's pies

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Holland's pies

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Two things I love about getting back to Manchester now & then are going to a match and Holland's meat pies. But you can't combine the two and i've never understood why MCFC's caterers don't stock them. Best pies in Lancashire but haven't had one at a match since the days of the chippy on Claremont Road - used to get pudding & chips outside the ground and a pie in the pocket for half time. Anyone at MCFC reading this? If Gary Cook were a northern lad he'd understand.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Re: Holland's pies

Postby ruralblue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Read yesterday that Hollands have perfected the first microwave pie. No soggy pastry and something in the packaging even browns the crust.

Myself, much rather a nice home made meat n' tatty.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Spot on. I'd buy pies from the ground if they had decent ones.

Dave Wheelans Company Pooles do decent pies as the JJB, and Oldham used to have Pukka that were ok (though in Oldhams open sided stadium everyone around you is covered in flakes on a windy day)

Hollands are fantastic, i'd love to see proper rag pudding at the ground, there are suppliers in the area and they go great with Chips & Gravy or Curry!!
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:16 pm

I bought a bloody marco pierre white pie then a pie in the ground and they were the fuckin same!
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby irblinx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:21 pm

sandman wrote:Spot on. I'd buy pies from the ground if they had decent ones.

Dave Wheelans Company Pooles do decent pies as the JJB, and Oldham used to have Pukka that were ok (though in Oldhams open sided stadium everyone around you is covered in flakes on a windy day)

Hollands are fantastic, i'd love to see proper rag pudding at the ground, there are suppliers in the area and they go great with Chips & Gravy or Curry!!

I had one at the DW last year and i s was crap, it fell apart and you really needed cutlery to eat it, not a football pie at all. The best pies are at Kilmarnock, steak pies that taste great and can be eaten one handed whilst jumping up and down celebrating a goal
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:38 pm

irblinx wrote:

I had one at the DW last year and i s was crap, it fell apart and you really needed cutlery to eat it, not a football pie at all. The best pies are at Kilmarnock, steak pies that taste great and can be eaten one handed whilst jumping up and down celebrating a goal

I've not been since it was the JJB, were they Pooles or have they got a new supplier?

I've never been to a scottish ground, I would assume that they all eat scotch eggs and haggis??
sandman

Postby lythamblue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Nick wrote:I bought a bloody marco pierre white pie then a pie in the ground and they were the fuckin same!

The kiosks in the ground and the new kiosks in City Square are operated by Independent Catering Partners and not MCFC themselves.

MCFC advise and have input on menu offers, pricing etc ..... and buy all the kit and facilities to operate them and set them up. The food on offer in City Square is meant to be better quality and regionally sourced and the Clubs Catering Team have had a fair amount of input into it.

However, I am surprised that the Pies would be the same as the Catering Partners are different inside and outside the ground.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nick (duki blues) » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 pm

hollands meat and potato pie on a muffin/barm = quality and far better than the crappy burgers you get at the ground
nick (duki blues)
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby CityGer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:55 pm

sandman wrote:
irblinx wrote:

I've not been since it was the JJB, were they Pooles or have they got a new supplier?

I've never been to a scottish ground, I would assume that they all eat scotch eggs and haggis??

The food at Kilmarnock is top drawer. Best pie I've had at football or not. irblinx has it right. They also do steak bakes and other top bakery stuff and yes, Haggis pies too! They get it all from the same bakery in Ayrshire, I think.

Food at football is poor in general. It's all about economics and ease with quality way down the list.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Morecambe FC - meat & tatty pies to die for
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby SORTED » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I dont give a fuck who does the pies cos at the prices they charge I'd rather eat my own hand. I'm even thinking of taking a flask on Thursday as the fuckin coffee's now £2 a throw.

...and just for the record the best pies in the world could be had from a little bakery (now closed unfortunately) under the bridge that crosses the A6 (opposite the old BT Place). Michael Andrew did the best pies in the world. FACT.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Well I had a steak and beer pire from the Blue Cafe and a steak one in the ground at half time. I think the prices were virtually the same and so was the taste! I couldnt see what else was on offer (apart from the MANC burger) as it was time for kick off and the menus wouldnt stay on the screen long enough.

I think its funny that the club have jumped on the bandwagon that all firms are jumping on with ''ethical, healthy, locally sourced, products''' as a way of dressing up the same fast food product of pie and chips! Get me a pre match steak ;-).

The club should also sort out a cash machine somewhere! I think they'd make a shitload.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Holland's are crap.Have to be really hungry to eat one.Pukka steak pie the bizz
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Paul68 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 am

Whats wrong with a nice prawn sandwich and a pint of shandy?
:-)
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Return to The Maine Football forum