The Scousers Sober Up

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Scousers Sober Up

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Interesting dose of reality for one scouse fan...

Given
Zabaleta, Boateng,Bridge, Kolarov,
M Johnson, Vieira, Silva
Santa Cruz, Adebayor, Balotelli

(edited to specify Michael Johnson, not Adam)

This team could've played against us yesterday, had they been picked and fit. Not one of them started against us.

Think we could outscore them in a 90 minute game? I don't. And that's before you consider Robinho and Bellamy, who won't be playing for City this year.

Manchester City finished 5th last year, and have spent roughly £123m with the intent to jump up one place in the league by the end of the season.

By the same token, we have spent roughly £8m. Two youngsters have been brought in, two free transfers, a reserve goalkeeper and a midfielder who will take Mascherano's position in the squad. Mascherano has been wanting to leave for 2 years, and will be sold this summer - and even though we perpetually fail to receive market value for players, he will be sold for more than £8m. Albert Riera has been shipped out, so too Alberto Aquilani. Philipp Degen has gone, so to has Yossi Benayoun. Diego Cavalieri, whilst not a regular part of the first team per se, has been replaced by someone 'home grown'.

Emiliano Insua has been touted round Europe seemingly against his wishes. Fabio Aurelio was offered a new deal - a fortnight after being released - after we'd been turned down by the footballing luminary that is Luke Young. Dirk Kuyt is flirting with Internazionale - and who can blame him?

David Ngog is our backup striker, when realistically he should be playing the role that Macheda does at United, Sturridge does at Chelsea, and Vela does at Arsenal.

We don't have a senior back-up right back, our first choice left back is made of plastecine, and our best central defender is being shunted to left back.

Our attack is static, our squad is slow, and we only have one goalscorer.

We have no way of rectifying this as the situation stands. The takeover talks have broken down due to stalling tactics by the leeches that run the club. The manager has no money to spend, and therefore no opportunity to improve the team's fortunes on the pitch. Players are being sold whether he wants them to be or not.

There's no doubt that Roy has already been lied to. Realistically, it was his only chance of managing one of the world's elite clubs. He would've know times were hard; He would not have known he'd have to work with both hands tied behind his back, his toes lopped off and his gentleman vegetables hanging perilously above a food blender.

The result against City should start to put things into perspective.

This is going to be one long, hard season, and we have to get used to it. There won't be a takeover before the transfer window ends. We will still be run by liars and thieves.

The truth is that over the last few years - about 20, to be exact - we have not been at the same level as those at the head of the table, even if we occasionally have a season that makes us think we might be. Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal have all had spells of being above us, for differeing reasons. Manchester City will now join that group too, at least in the short-term. Spurs are run very well, and after finishing 4th last year and making the Champions League, will hope to keep pushing on. Only time will tell if they've got the bottle and squad depth. Aston Villa aren't the same team without Barry and Milner, but they will still beat most teams most weeks. Everton consistantly perform better than their financial structure should allow, as they have a very good core of players and a coach who gets the best out of them. They too will win a lot of games. If someone were to offer us a top 6 finish right now, we'd have to snatch their hands off.

Our squad is not as good as we'd like to think. Only Torres has the potential to score 20+ goals, we have no genuine wingers, and we still have no idea where Steven Gerrard's best position is. Defensively we are lacking, both in terms of pace and dominance, and the entire back line is set up to accomodate an ever-depleting Jamie Carragher. That he is still a guaranteed first choice says more about the rest of the options than it does about him. Liverpool Football Club is in a massive state of rot. It starts in the boardroom, spreads onto the pitch, and will sooner or later take over the majority of fans, unless people realise we have to dramatically alter our expectations.

We are no longer a big boy, no longer a player at the big table. In fact, we're only still in the game at all because we keep check folding.

Be thankful we have the best goalkeeper in the league. This season, we might just need him.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: The Scousers Sober Up

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 pm

All true despite that bollocks last line.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Best goalkeeper in the League my arse!
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:44 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:Best goalkeeper in the League my arse!

Very funny really. 2 matches in and he has already thrown one in and let another through his legs.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby steveo_88 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Never happy with what they've got, world's ALWAYS against them, i think they better think it out again!

[youtube]Ef9Ea9NFyyM&feature=search[/youtube]
South Stand Blue

steveo_88

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby bluej » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:51 pm

I love how they moan about the quality of the players they've got, yet they idolise the bloke who brought them to the club.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby ayrshireblue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Are Inter Milan not one of Europe's elite clubs? I seem to recall Roy Hodgson managing them on more than one occasion.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:09 pm

It could be a crucial time in the history of that club.
They need to be taken over & buy a new team very quickly, before the Platini rules kick in, or face the possibility of being ousted from the chump's league by the very rules that were brought in to protect clubs like them. That could more or less finish them as a 'big 4' type team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:34 pm

I almost feel sorry for them after reading that post. Almost.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It could be a crucial time in the history of that club.
They need to be taken over & buy a new team very quickly, before the Platini rules kick in, or face the possibility of being ousted from the chump's league by the very rules that were brought in to protect clubs like them. That could more or less finish them as a 'big 4' type team.

I maintain that if they are not taken over by the end of this transfer window, they have got very big problems on that front. If Liverpool are not taken over before Sept 1st, I can see any prospective owner being very very wary, hence the chinese feller pulling out stating it looking unlikely a deal could be done before the window closes.

Pundits have said that we are paying inflated transfer fees, but can you imagine what clubs will be asking for in January and for signings before the next summer window opens when they know the buying club is effectively in last chance saloon before they have to get their books in order. I have heard a rumour that Santa Cruz could even be worth as much as £17m in January when clubs are desperate to get their signings out of the way.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Crossie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:25 pm

fuck them, they had their turn
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 am

Ted Hughes wrote:They need to be taken over & buy a new team very quickly, before the Platini rules kick in

That will ruin football, kill the soul of the club. Besides, why would any top player want to go to a club who are not in the Champions League? They'll be nothing more than a squad full of mercenaries, only there for the money. Woy will have trouble managing the egos. How will he fit all those players in? Where will they all play, etc etc etc.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby dazby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 am

It's actually a great post by the OP. If they were to post that on here five years ago Id have called them a negative prick, mind. Haha
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:31 am

If I was a prospective buyer and had not been able to close the deal by early August, I would walk away until September(or later) - come back with a reduced offer just before the banks are asking serious questions

This because all that is said by the scouse fan is correct - and I would not want to be saddled with the inappropriate expectation that would have been the case is I had completed before the end of the window

I would rather take control when every one knows that we will not be in CL and the price reflects this - then have months to plan next year - against a lower expectation level

I suspect that the Chinese guy is doing something like this and that the yanks will end up having to take an offer that gives the banks what they demand but does not give them the profit they want
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Scatman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 am

Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:26 am

Crossie wrote:fuck them, they had their turn

My sentiments exactly.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby bluej » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Apparantly they're finalising a move for Paul Konchesky today.

NFT.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Apparently they are going to Turkey without Gerard, Torres and Mascherano!

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

john@staustell wrote:Apparently they are going to Turkey without Gerard, Torres and Mascherano!

read that.. must be injured.
They are looking like they are going to struggle out in Turkeyland.
If they go out of the Europa and have another bad game in the PL the shit will hit the fan on Merseyside.
Unfortunately they have West Brom at home on Sunday.

Still will be fun watching Hanson and Big Phil squirming
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby dazby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 pm

The baggies got a win last weekend. They'll be up for it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Return to The Maine Football forum