Did Anybody Like City Square?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Did Anybody Like City Square?

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:12 am

I thought it was absolutely gash, there was a massive queue just to get into the area where you queue for a pint, and the bar prices are just insane.

On the plus side, I walked straight up to the bar inside twice before kick off without waiting because so many were outside.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Did Anybody Like City Square?

Postby Fish111 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am

I think it's an absolutely fantastic addition to the facilities at the club. And i appreciate the realisation by the club that it's the fans comfort and enjoyment that is paramount when trying to entice more revenue by doing these kind of things. The things the club do will not be evryones cup of tea but for me i can see they are thinking of us and i welcome that.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby irblinx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 am

It's hardly surprising that it was mobbed on the first night, it will probably tail off a touch as the season goes on with people resorting to their previous pre match drinking holes. Overall I thought City Square was excellent, it definitely helped the atmosphere outside the ground. Looked great on the TV too

Felt a bit sorry for the bird wheeled out on the stage to sing/play, hardly ideally suited to your stereo-typical football fan and it must be a bit disconcerting having a big crowd gather around a screen to here some names read out and then the majority of them wander away when you start to sing.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Nickyboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 am

didn't have to queue to get in at 6.30 - and got served 3 pints with minimal fuss and no queing again.

£3.60 for a pint of fosters is a bit steep so probably won't go before every game but did generate a good atmoshpere
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Twobob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:43 am

Ended up getting there early using the scum shuttle because I wanted to avoid the rush, so at 5PM is was pretty quiet!

They're goinna need heaters in Winter though - when it lashed it down the wind was pretty grim (and that was before the pie!!).

Beer is better than that Singa shite too, but agree it was a bit steep - was impressed with it all together and said hello to Summerbee too as a bonus!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 am

There were some nice touches in the family stand as I passed through.

Where all the seats are has been done up to look like the players changing rooms with lockers behind them, and there were life size cardboard action shots of Adebayor where kids were having their pic taken which looked really good.

Aside from that, the bar was as quiet as normal in there (couple of minutes wait max) but I have abstained this season due to price. The food looked and smelled as shit and greasy as ever when anyone was eating near me.

What did seem a good idea (although last night in the driving rain was not the best start) was keeping city square open for an hour after the game, which is a good shout for those in rammed car parks to let the traffic ease a little. I might make use of that in the future.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:51 am

Twobob wrote:Beer is better than that Singa shite too

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby ashton287 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm

i got there and the summerbee bit was rammed and i couldn't figure out where to get through the barrier so i fucked it off and went to one of the food stalls and watched the big screen for a bit. The dancers were shit but the blonde one and the blonde presenter woman were fiiiiiit so it was ok. Also putting the half time draw seller girls in full city kits was a good idea, still didnt buy a ticket for it but atleast its something to look at.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Twobob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Hahaha - I liked the Heineken, I really found it tough going with Mingha
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm

Twobob wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Twobob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:13 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Twobob wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Ooo You bitch ;-)

Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm

I thought it was great, didnt que because we got there mad early. Got a few chants going and it was buzzing. Wanted some decent food but only had time for a pie at the Blue moon cafe and it was basically the same as the ones sold inside.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby lythamblue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Fish111 wrote:I think it's an absolutely fantastic addition to the facilities at the club. And i appreciate the realisation by the club that it's the fans comfort and enjoyment that is paramount when trying to entice more revenue by doing these kind of things. The things the club do will not be evryones cup of tea but for me i can see they are thinking of us and i welcome that.

I have to agree. The food is better than inside the ground but still a lot more expensive than outside of SportsCity ..... but the atmosphere generated by the big screens and entertainment make it a good place to go pre match and almost worth paying a bit more for the food, booze etc.

Also having it open after the game with the big screens showing highlights, post match interviews etc, is a great idea and a handy place to stay while the traffic moves a bit and before I set off for the often 90 min drive home.

Last night I couldn't help feeling that if we ever won a League title at Coms, it would be a brilliant place to go after the match and I reckon it would still be buzzing many hours after the game and well into the night. It would also be a good venue to watch away matches, especially Euro ties..

Only problem is that that they can only serve alcohol within the roped off boundaries in front of the bars. I realise that this is down to licensing and although I am aware the club are trying to do something about it ..... I think the council and police will object, unless we go through the next couple of years with little or no bad incidents.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Plus points:
Great idea
Great service from the bars

Negative points:
Too small and cramped
The prices

Could be a place where i'd go every week as i'd love to give my money to the club than to Mary Dee's as i think a rag owns that place but the negative points above will probably dictate i go to Mary D's more often.
the_georgian_genius

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Singha is shite.

Chang, now there's a lovely Thai brew.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby saulman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:32 pm

I think the whole thing is fuckin brilliant. Well done the club.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby ant london » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:Plus points:
Great idea
Great service from the bars

Negative points:
Too small and cramped
The prices

Could be a place where i'd go every week as i'd love to give my money to the club than to Mary Dee's as i think a rag owns that place but the negative points above will probably dictate i go to Mary D's more often.

Manchester City FC - Official Alcohol will not be served inside CoMS at Manchester City vs FC Timisoara tonight (UEFA rules). City Square however will and opens for business at 5pm until 7.30pm.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 am

A lot of the stuff on the stage (apart from the occasional attractive girl) was of no real interest to me but so long as others enjoyed it then fair enough. I thought the square, on the whole, was a huge success & I think it could help the atmosphere inside the ground. It makes the game feel more like an event & is a fantastic idea.

Whether it can breathe life into a run of the mill Uefa night is another question but well done to the club for coming up with it anyhow.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rammyblue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 am

I am sure it ticked all the right boxes for the FIFA delegation, and I believe that it is a fantastic idea and the club should be warmly applauded for doing something different, lets see how long before other clubs start to copy it. For those who don't like it or think too pricey don't use facilities.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 am

I hope at xmas they put pints of gluhwein on for 2 euro and frankfurters for 3.

Ill be there.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum