Belief

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Belief

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am

We only had 2 new players in the team last night, so the "team spirit" issue or "gelling" should not even be an issue. All the players with the exception of Yaya and Milner have played together for a year (or 6 months in AJ's case). This is the sort of performance that the club were "capable" of last year, but appeared entirely incapable of doing so on so many occasions.

I have to wonder just how much of last night's performance was down to the bloke who pays the bills being here. I have to seriously ask the question, as unless there has been a miraculous transformation since our pre-season friendlies that performance is more likely to be the exception than the rule.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Kladze » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:45 am

johnpb78 wrote:We only had 2 new players in the team last night, so the "team spirit" issue or "gelling" should not even be an issue. All the players with the exception of Yaya and Milner have played together for a year (or 6 months in AJ's case). This is the sort of performance that the club were "capable" of last year, but appeared entirely incapable of doing so on so many occasions.

I have to wonder just how much of last night's performance was down to the bloke who pays the bills being here. I have to seriously ask the question, as unless there has been a miraculous transformation since our pre-season friendlies that performance is more likely to be the exception than the rule.

That's it! I'm on a downer now.

It doesn't take much for us 'manic depressive City fans' you know ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 am

Kladze wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:We only had 2 new players in the team last night, so the "team spirit" issue or "gelling" should not even be an issue. All the players with the exception of Yaya and Milner have played together for a year (or 6 months in AJ's case). This is the sort of performance that the club were "capable" of last year, but appeared entirely incapable of doing so on so many occasions.

That's it! I'm on a downer now.

It doesn't take much for us 'manic depressive City fans' you know ;-)

Haha, I just hope we can carry this on mate. After being average for the first half vs Spurs, we have looked very solid now for 210 minutes of football which would suggest things are definately on the up.

I just hope the players realise that its not just the Sheik they need to thank, its the fans for giving them the support week in week out.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby dikdik » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 am

...unless there has been a miraculous transformation since our pre-season friendlies that performance is more likely to be the exception than the rule...

That's more like the City supporter I know and love.

:)
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:07 am

dikdik wrote:...unless there has been a miraculous transformation since our pre-season friendlies that performance is more likely to be the exception than the rule...

That's more like the City supporter I know and love.

:)

I know a false dawn when I see one. I am not sure this is though, this could be the real deal. I just don't like to jump up and down too much as I've seen it go tits up often enough
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Renato_CTID » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Are you really sure Yaya is a defensive midfielder, Doug? I believe Mancio doesn't think so, and you?
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Renato_CTID wrote:Are you really sure Yaya is a defensive midfielder, Doug? I believe Mancio doesn't think so, and you?

No, he never was defensive last night, he was always further forward than the other two, although they all looked so mobile i'd say that he was just being a midfielder
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:00 pm

im gonna keep banging on about this until im proven wrong... and i should say i have no more idea than anyone else about Mancini. But my take is that the aim of the Club is to become a European force, as ive said before that means as good as if not better than Milan, Barca, Chelsea.. Real etc etc. Thats what the Club intends to be, so for them to take on Mancini and back him means he must have a plan to be able to get a team to that level.. both in quality of players, organisation and strategically.
The strategy bit for me means not just having a best 11.
WTF do i know, but it seems to me a good strategy, over and above what we would say is normal top 4 quality, is the capacity to be able to surprise the opposition with selection and tactics. The team sheet last night surprised virtually all our fans, so wtf do you think Woy thought of it?
If the aim is to have a whole host of different players all able to slot into the 'machine' and all able to move around, this gives a serious headache to opposition teams to know what to train for leading into games and what to do during games. The old time honoured advantage of surprise.
Seems to me already that we are just as capable of playing without a recognised striker as we are of playing with two. Mancini i think we know is a tactician, so i would imagine he could well ignore all 'norms' of what is the best 11 and go for an individual strategy for each game based on the opposition. So in that sense Adebayor is as likely to start as often as anyone else.

The next 3 PL games are going to be interesting.. as they are slightly weaker man for man than Spurs and Pool and i wouldn't be surprised if Bobby tries out some completely different set ups. As the foundation of the midfield is so fucxlin solid it allows a lot of leeway to mess around with the heads of the opposition.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm

brite blu sky wrote:im gonna keep banging on about this until im proven wrong... and i should say i have no more idea than anyone else about Mancini. But my take is that the aim of the Club is to become a European force, as ive said before that means as good as if not better than Milan, Barca, Chelsea.. Real etc etc. Thats what the Club intends to be, so for them to take on Mancini and back him means he must have a plan to be able to get a team to that level.. both in quality of players, organisation and strategically.
WTF do i know, but it seems to me a good strategy, over and above what we would say is normal top 4 quality, is the capacity to be able to surprise the opposition with selection and tactics. The team sheet last night surprised virtually all our fans, so wtf do you think Woy thought of it?
If the aim is to have a whole host of different players all able to slot into the 'machine' and all able to move around, this gives a serious headache to opposition teams to know what to train for leading into games and what to do during games. The old time honoured advantage of surprise.
Seems to me already that we are just as capable of playing without a recognised striker as we are of playing with two. Mancini i think we know is a tactician, so i would imagine he could well ignore all 'norms' of what is the best 11 and go for an individual strategy for each game based on the opposition. So in that sense Adebayor is as likely to start as often as anyone else.

The next 3 PL games are going to be interesting.. as they are slightly weaker man for man than Spurs and Pool and i wouldn't be surprised if Bobby tries out some completely different set ups. As the foundation of the midfield is so fucxlin solid it allows a lot of leeway to mess around with the heads of the opposition.

So what is it that you are saying, in summary?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Kladze » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:im gonna keep banging on about this until im proven wrong... and i should say i have no more idea than anyone else about Mancini. But my take is that the aim of the Club is to become a European force, as ive said before that means as good as if not better than Milan, Barca, Chelsea.. Real etc etc. Thats what the Club intends to be, so for them to take on Mancini and back him means he must have a plan to be able to get a team to that level.. both in quality of players, organisation and strategically.

I think it's summit to do with the squad going round in circles ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:19 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

Basically,anything can happen in the next nine months.

Safe.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Renato_CTID wrote:Are you really sure Yaya is a defensive midfielder, Doug? I believe Mancio doesn't think so, and you?

No not all. When I said "The press haven't woken up yet to the fact that Yaya isn't there to play a defensive midfield role but that will come."
I was eluding to the fast that he isn't playing as a defensive mid but the press and media haven't realised yet.They will soon

But of course if Mancini wanted him to play that role he could easily.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Rammyblue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Followed city too long to get carried away on the back of one performance, but sometimes stats don't lie and it has taken us 73 years to beat them by that goal margin we clocked up last night.

I rely on your training reports to seperate fact from fiction so please long may they continue. We are definitely following the Inter Milan tactics of 433 but what I am looking forward too more than anything else is Boetang and Kolorov being not only defensive fullbacks but also providing those runs and crosses, no disrespect to Lescott he did a fine defensive job or Micah but until we see the real deal, fully gelled and fit, it will be difficult to judge just how good we really are. But optimistic for the season.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 pm

I didn't have much belief after the first 45 mins of football this season, but I kind of expected it.

What I didn't expect was the last 90 mins. Not in the first few games.

If we win convincingly in the next two games, I'm gonna get carried away whether I want to or not!
Original Dub

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum