Gareth Barry

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gareth Barry

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Then wouldn't Milner be MOTM?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bluej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm

He was much more like the player I thought we had signed, he was fantastic at both ends of the field. I think having some one like Yaya alongside him means that he doesn't have to worry about pushing on and leaving NDJ exposed. Really really impressed with our middle 3 tonight, completely ran the show.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby HeyMark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Fucking fantastic performance he was everywhere tonight. Like someone else said he looked like the player I thought we were signing and started last season
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Just got back and came on to post about Gaz. That was an absolutely world class performance from him, amongst a night of incredible performances from pretty much everyone on the pitch.

Looks like the player we thought we had signed a year ago, lets hope he can move onwards and upwards now.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby irblinx » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Best game in a City shirt for me, I thought Kompany and De Jong edged MoTM jointly for me but he was damned close
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Grob » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 pm

All action first half, supporting role in the second. He played well.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby BostonBlue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Svensational wrote:Man of the match for me! Fucking awesome all game, has Milner helped?

Fully agree, texted my mate at half time saying he was the best player on the pitch inspite of the commentators wanking over AJ (who also had a great game). Thought everyone was top drawer but Barry just looked like he was on it.
BostonBlue
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:13 pm

one of the best games he's had in the colours

AJ MOM for me though
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 pm

brilliant from gaz, well worth his motm. deffo the best game he's played for us.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dronny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm

The "Gazza Bazza" of old?
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm

He was my MOM, so slow but very clever.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:14 am

as no-one has mentioned it right place right time to tap in.. that all important first goal..

after all that has happened this summer and been said recently.. i thought that very fitting it was Barry.

very underestimated player.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:28 am

Always under estimated but proved why he's first on teamsheet - nearly - for Hughes, Mancini and Capello.

Top class.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 am

Thats near enough the standard he plays every game(which is high) in my view except he scored yesterday so he is finally getting the plaudits he deserves.
Rag_hater

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 am

The problem with Barry, imo, is he's too slow to play games for City (or England) unless he's absolutely 100% fit. If he loses even half a yard of pace, he can't get his body in the way to make interceptions or arrive quick enough to fill gaps, even if he reads the situation perfectly. Last season he played a lot of games carrying injuries then wasn't fit at the World Cup. Now he doesn't have to.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:03 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The problem with Barry, imo, is he's too slow to play games for City (or England) unless he's absolutely 100% fit. If he loses even half a yard of pace, he can't get his body in the way to make interceptions or arrive quick enough to fill gaps, even if he reads the situation perfectly. Last season he played a lot of games carrying injuries then wasn't fit at the World Cup. Now he doesn't have to.

I think its turned into a bit of a trendy thing to say that Gareth is slow.He plays in a place where pace is not essential to what he does.And Bobby has put him on the wing a couple of times and generally wingres are pretty quick.So I dont think Bobby would use him for that job unless he had confidence in his ability and a little bit of speed about him.In the past if he is gonna be compared with people like Bellers,Petrov,SWP who have been guenially fast then he doesn't compete but all the other midfielders we have I'm sure Gareth can hold his own.
Rag_hater

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am

Rag_hater wrote:Thats near enough the standard he plays every game(which is high) in my view except he scored yesterday so he is finally getting the plaudits he deserves.

What have you been watching for the last year. He has been somewhere between poor and appalling in the vast vast majority of games he has played.

That performance was world class, goal or no goal. The tackling, the teaming up with De Jong & Yaya hunting the ball down, Barry has never played like that in a city shirt, he has never been involved in a game so much in all his time here.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am

Best player on the pitch last night. awesome.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Thats near enough the standard he plays every game(which is high) in my view except he scored yesterday so he is finally getting the plaudits he deserves.

What have you been watching for the last year. He has been somewhere between poor and appalling in the vast vast majority of games he has played.

That performance was world class, goal or no goal. The tackling, the teaming up with De Jong & Yaya hunting the ball down, Barry has never played like that in a city shirt, he has never been involved in a game so much in all his time here.

Watching the same as Bobby I think who keeps picking him.
Poor and appalling yet a consistent starter.
Rag_hater

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am

Rag_hater wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Watching the same as Bobby I think who keeps picking him.
Poor and appalling yet a consistent starter.

When the alternative was Stephen Ireland, I can't blame Mancini for picking him.

I also think Barry always had more to offer than De Jong so based on the squad that was available to chose from, I would have picked him for every game too because I would have had no choice.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum