And Merse predicts...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

And Merse predicts...

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:58 am

It's still early doors, but this is a massive game in the race for those Champions League spots.

Man City must surely be better than they were against Tottenham. If it wasn't for some truly world-class saves from Joe Hart, they'd have been 4-0 down at half time. Roberto Mancini would have been in severe trouble after one game if it wasn't for his goalkeeper.

Mancini: will he play more progressive football?
Mancini used three holding midfielders in that game, but with their millions surely they want to win the league by playing entertaining football? I can't believe they're going to try and nick a goal on the break in every match.

Mancini should change things at home. James Milner will bring some energy into the team and that's something they lacked at Tottenham. He'll push things on from midfield, as long as they don't put him out on the wings where he'll be wasted.

With their millions surely City want to win the league by playing entertaining football? I can't believe they're going to try and nick a goal on the break in every match.Paul Merson

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's worth what they paid for him, but he should bring something to the team. Perhaps Adam Johnson will come into the side as well.

In fact, Liverpool will probably play the way City did last week and pack the midfield.

It's a shame Joe Cole is suspended because he'd have got more space in this match than he did against Arsenal. Personally, I thought Liverpool defended very well last week but Arsenal were better all over the pitch. Liverpool hardly looked like scoring - and Arsenal should have stopped the one they did score.

Apart from Steven Gerrard, I don't see who's going to provide the chances for the centre-forward and I don't see them going for it at Eastlands. I think Roy Hodgson will play five in midfield and he'll be happy if it's 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Liverpool would take a draw here. If you can come away from the City of Manchester Stadium with a point after all the money they've spent, you've got to be happy. Any team would take a point there.

But I just get the feeling they're not going to get it.

PAUL'S PREDICTION
HOME WIN - I'm going to go for a 1-0 win for City. Liverpool didn't really go for it against Arsenal and without Joe Cole I'm not sure where the supply line will come from. With all the money City have spent they should have enough quality to get a narrow home win.

MERSON'S MAGIC MAN
JAMES MILNER - He was outstanding for Villa last week and I have total respect for that performance. A lot of players would have refused to go out and face the Villa fans when everyone knew he was leaving, but he went out and he was brilliant (and so were the supporters, to be fair). He'll provide the energy that City have been lacking.

london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: And Merse predicts...

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:03 am

We are truly doomed when he starts favouring us...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Kladze » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 am

He's a thick prick - I don't even care what he thinks.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

Uuurrrgggghhhhh....... that's us cursed then.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ashton287 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 am

A fucking match prediction without a mention of money, is that too fucking much to ask?.

Getting to the point im gonna come home from the match tonight and watch the recording with my fucking headphones on so i dont have to listen to the commentators mention yaya's wages or how over priced miner is.

It's not fucking polite to talk about money you CUNTS, you'r mothers were all whores.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:44 am

you'r mothers were all whores.

lol
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fish111 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

That must be a ghost writer because Merson is in a drug-induced coma from Saturday night til the following Friday when they wash the shit and piss off him and dress him ready for that Sky Sports bollocks he does.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Fish111 wrote:That must be a ghost writer because Merson is in a drug-induced coma from Saturday night til the following Friday when they wash the shit and piss off him and dress him ready for that Sky Sports bollocks he does.

What a slanderous thing to say.

Well done.
Wish I'd have thought of it
Rag_hater

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Maybe he just hates Liverpool more than us?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I'll have to get my head checked, because I totally agree with him. Except for the superjaw bit.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby branny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Fish111 wrote:That must be a ghost writer because Merson is in a drug-induced coma from Saturday night til the following Friday when they wash the shit and piss off him and dress him ready for that Sky Sports bollocks he does.

What a slanderous thing to say.

Well done.
Wish I'd have thought of it

Gotta be a ghost writer. He doesn't say "I mean" once in the article. :)
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby shawzy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Heres the tosser Andy Gays verdict:

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/10110112.php
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:27 pm

shawzy wrote:Heres the tosser Andy Gays verdict:

Argh blocked... can you copy and paste?

Ta.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Murph » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
shawzy wrote:Heres the tosser Andy Gays verdict:

Argh blocked... can you copy and paste?

Ta.

I must admit I was massively surprised with just how defensively Roberto Mancini set his team out last Saturday at White Hart Lane.

A midfield made up of Gareth Barry, Nigel De Jong and Yaya Toure is only there to do one thing and that's try to stifle the opposition and deprive their front men of service. Given the number of chances Spurs had to win the game, you could say they didn't carry the game plan out particularly well.

There's a huge amount to like about little Carlos Tevez but to ask him to play upfront on his own and just try and magically make things happen is a little too much even for him. Article continues below...

Sitting on the City bench were such attacking talent as Jo, Emmanuel Adebayor and Adam Johnson and it all came across as far too negative and quite frankly, just not good enough for a side who has spent so heavily over the last couple of years.

Still, they got the draw they clearly set out to get and all in all they'll look back at that point as a good return for their afternoon's work with the added bonus of a clean sheet. A midweek win away at FC Timisoara in the Europa League also included a clean sheet and the game marked the debut of (yet another) new signing Mario Balotelli, who actually scored the winner, so City will consider they've actually started the season pretty well and will fancy their chances against Liverpool in front of their own fans.

Like City, Liverpool's strength at the moment seems to be in defence where a very familiar back five just goes out and keeps thing tight. Upfront, David N'Gog has looked sharp in recent weeks but probably isn't the finished article, Fernando Torres is far from being 100 per cent fit and they'll have to make do without the suspended Joe Cole for this one after his uncharacteristic sending off against Arsenal.

I've said before and I'll say it again: Steven Gerrard is a much greater asset to this side at the heart of the midfield than he is in a second striker's role. Not only does he see more of the ball but he also shows us what he can do defensively in terms of tackling and winning the ball back in addition to creating chances and scoring goals. I've been relatively impressed with what I've seen of Liverpool so far this season and I'm sure they'll improve even further.

That said, an away trip to City may be a little too much for them right now and given that City are carrying the greater momentum and are at home, my money is on Carlitos inspiring the home side to a narrow and priceless win.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fucl do you think you're talking to?"
Murph

Return to The Maine Football forum